Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Commander Bros!

Just got mine lifted today with the 2" Rough Country Lift. Question, should I get the headlights adjusted? Also, with the 2" lift and the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires, any idea the different in the mph now? Any input, advice, recommendations are always welcome and appreciated to this novice! Thank You!

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts

Just got mine lifted today with the 2" Rough Country Lift. Question, should I get the headlights adjusted? Also, with the 2" lift and the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires, any idea the different in the mph now? Any input, advice, recommendations are always welcome and appreciated to this novice! Thank You!
Congrats on the upgrades, you'll enjoy them.

Between the lift and the larger circumference your ride height has been raised about 3 inches.

I don't think it's necessary to adjust your headlights.

Your speedo will be reading 3 1/2 - 4mph slow. meaning when it's reading 60 - you will actually be doing around 64.

I have the same set-up as you (different brand of tires - TOYO A/T's; but the same size) and I bought a superchips F5 3874 Flaspaq programmer to adjust the speedo for the larger tire size.

Before I adjusted the speedometer, I used my GPS as my speedometer, that's how I was able to tell how far off my speedometer was after putting the larger tires on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Speedometer differences are actually represented by a percent change rather than a constant increase. You'll be looking at around an 8% increase in speed, which as Big Blue said translates to about 64 when the speedo reads 60, but it's pretty easy to round up to 10%. By this estimate when the speedo reads 10, you'll be going 11; 20 is actually 22; 30 is actually 33; and so on.

As far as pointing the headlights, you probably don't need to. You have changed the angle the headlights sit at and raised them though, so they'll probably be a few degrees off of their design.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, much appreciated! I'm going to look into those superchips.They have me intrigued.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks! I have a 3.7 V6, is there certain specifications? I did not see any as of yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Wow, thanks! I have a 3.7 V6, is there certain specifications? I did not see any as of yet.
The superchips F5 3874 flashpaq programmer is not specific to any single engine, it works on all Commander engines and will adjust the programmed tuning accordingly.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Another option that may or may not work for you is a speedodrd (Google it). I had one on my wj before it got stolen and it was awesome. Super inexpensive when compared to tuners and fixes both the speedo and the odometer. I haven't researched enough to figure out where the wires are that you have to splice into but it was like a 40 minute job on the wj v8.

Just a second option in case the chip is too much $$$

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Another option that may or may not work for you is a speedodrd (Google it). I had one on my wj before it got stolen and it was awesome. Super inexpensive when compared to tuners and fixes both the speedo and the odometer. I haven't researched enough to figure out where the wires are that you have to splice into but it was like a 40 minute job on the wj v8.

Just a second option in case the chip is too much $$$
That's a nice fall-back option but there is a lot of additonal functions that you have with tuner/programmer that speedodrd won't give you - like loading a "towing" tune, having the ability to adjust your transmissions shift points and clearing stored DTC's as well as reading current DTC's.

In short, IMHO, it's more than worth the extra money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2" Lift & New Tires, Now What?

Is there anything I should do?

Jeep Specs:
2008 Commander Sport 3.7 V6
Around town & highway driving
Do not off-road or tow

2" Rough Country Lift (664) installed
4 brand new Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (215030)

Like I said, I do not off-road or tow. I like the the height and hate to increase it anymore. As Big Blue kindly stated to me, I actually have increased the height 3" with the lift and tires. As always, any advice and recommendations are much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey Big Blue, ever hear of anyone on here using loaded struts for the front? If so, what they might recommend? I want to change the struts and shocks. I was thinking about changing them to the Bilstein B6 4600. But my friend does not have a tool to compress the coils for the struts in the front. So, I was thinking about a loaded one (of course Bilstein does not make them). Not sure what to do here. Would love to have them all match.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Hey Big Blue, ever hear of anyone on here using loaded struts for the front? If so, what they might recommend? I want to change the struts and shocks. I was thinking about changing them to the Bilstein B6 4600. But my friend does not have a tool to compress the coils for the struts in the front. So, I was thinking about a loaded one (of course Bilstein does not make them). Not sure what to do here. Would love to have them all match.
I'm sure someone has done it - but I can't remember anyone specifically talking about it.

Struts are pre-loaded with the springs over the shock absorbers as one unit - also called coil-overs.

Commanders actually come from the factory with shock absorbers in the front - with separate front springs - not together as one component, like a real strut or coil-over.

That being said, I have no doubt that you could install coil-overs to replace the factory front shock absorbers and front springs, if that's what you want to do.

Bilstein B6 4600 front shock absorbers (Part # 24-186797) are pretty popular choices to replace the factory front shock absorbers.

I've been running them for about 2 years now and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
303 Posts

I made the assumption that your stock tire size was 245/65R17.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I have no rubbing, so, I have no need for wheel spacers.

Why add extra hardware between the rim and the rotor that would serve no real function?

Stock Commander rims are 17 x 7.5 with 5 inch back-spacing; my Centerlines are 17 x 8 with 5.5 inch back-spacing - and I believe that's why I have no rubbing - and no need for wheel spacers.

I've never had to do the pinch-weld mod either; These are the kinds of things you can eliminate, when you do your research and choose the right size rims.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts