Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to all members for their info and threads. This forum had everything needed to help make my decision when to came to lifts and tires.

I finally got my lift installed and had new tires put on here recently. I went with the Rough Country because I didnt want to go extreme on the DD and the fact that it is probably the best priced one out atm. I do have one installation issue to note:
*** My jeep had the skid plate on the Gas tank, and once you dropped rear coils an interference with the top control of the left rear would occur.
***To solve this I just notched out the skid plate so the control arm had more clearance for its extended travel.
Other then that the Install was exactly as the provided instructions show, and quite easy.

So enough talkin'.....Here are some pics.

I chose a newer Goodyear tire to run. Its called the "Duratrac". I didnt want to run the extreme sizes or even a MT, so I thought this was a good middle ground. Besides I don't like the mild "car" tires that are often available in these sizes. (245/70r17)

·
Registered
15 Posts
that is great. That is the same exact set up that i am going to put on my XK as well. You are going to have to let us all know how thoes tires are working out for you and how well they work. Overall it looks great.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey Heiney5 it looks great. Did you have to change out the original struts of this you leave them on? I have an XK that looks like yours and would also like to put a lift on it let me know tanx.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You'll like the tires! I have had the exact same setup... 2" Rough Country lift and Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs. The only difference is I went with 1.5" SpiderTrax spacers and 265/70/17's for my tire size.

Enjoy your XK... I have had alot of fun with mine.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
You'll like the tires! I have had the exact same setup... 2" Rough Country lift and Goodyear Wrangler Dura Tracs. The only difference is I went with 1.5" SpiderTrax spacers and 265/70/17's for my tire size.
@Commander4LyFe,
Did you had any rubbing in the front with the 265/70/17 tires? I want to go for the 265/70/17 Duratrac tires and ATX Mojave wheels. These have 4.5" backspacing so think I won't need the spacers for these wheels. I just hope they won't rub to much.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
They rubbed a little. All I did was drill new holes for the wheel well liner and reinstall the retaining pins to hold it back a little.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
They rubbed a little. All I did was drill new holes for the wheel well liner and reinstall the retaining pins to hold it back a little.
Thanks. I will go for that set-up then. A little rubbing can be solved easily. I wasn't happy about having to cut the liner and bending over the pinch weld.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Looks good, I had the same prob with the tank skid. I removed the bolt on the arm. Wish i cut the tank skid. It took me 40min to get the bolt back in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks good, I had the same prob with the tank skid. I removed the bolt on the arm. Wish i cut the tank skid. It took me 40min to get the bolt back in.
I had someone put his foot on the rear rotor and bounce until I could slip the spring back into place. Next time I will get a spring compressor!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Heiney5 it looks great. Did you have to change out the original struts of this you leave them on? I have an XK that looks like yours and would also like to put a lift on it let me know tanx.
I kept the original struts and shocks... it only has 30k on it. The struts are actually dropped with the supplied brackets, so down travel will not be an issue. However I do know that the rear will be limited since I am still using original, so I plan to get some "longer" rear shocks sometime in the future.

I'm not trying to plug the rough country, but the instructions were decent...Here is a link to it for anyone who might want to see what is involved. http://www.roughcountry.com/install/664.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts