Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 4WP install the Skyjacker 2" lift yesterday. Drove home towing my trail rig, no lights on, all is good. Drove to work this morning, ESP/BAC & Traction lights are on and won't go off. Going to look under the truck tonight to see if a sensor came loose, but is there anything else I should look for? Also, is there a way to reset to computer so that the lights will go off? I didn't think that a 2" lift would throw off the computer.

Here's my setup:
  • 2" Skyjacker coil spacer lift
  • 1.25" spacers
  • P255/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors
  • OEM shocks
Also, I was going to have the stock shocks replaced with ProComp ES9000s but the guys at 4WP said they wouldn't work due to the traction and ESP systems so they reused the OEM shocks.

While annoying, I don't really care if the ESP system works since I know how to handle a truck and not flip it. I just want the lights to go away.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that, but the lights still stay on.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
TPS said:
I've heard something about holding the traction control button for 6 seconds to shut off traction ctrl & ESP....
Thought it was 12 seconds. Anyways I read somewhere on the forums about the ESP and a computer flash but I can't remember if it had to do with the light on lifted trucks or the premature activation. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, now I'm throwing a CEL as well. Stopped by my local parts place, their ODB II scanner can't read the codes. Now I guess I have to go to the dealer to figure this out.

What's funny is that when I drove home, I started out with a dark dash, then suddenly the ESP/BAS, Trac & CEL all came on within three miles of driving. When I left the parts store, only the CEL was on. Going to crawl under the truck to see if anything is loose/disconnected since the lift was installed.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have an 06, if I push the ESP for 12 seconds it beeps and then it shuts off. I read someplace where it never completely shuts off but it does go off, I have no problems. Just hold it until you hear the beep.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Iowa Commander said:
I have an 06, if I push the ESP for 12 seconds it beeps and then it shuts off. I read someplace where it never completely shuts off but it does go off, I have no problems. Just hold it until you hear the beep.
I believe it is the traction control that always remains active (I believe even that remains off when you switch to low range). Note, that there may be some differences as this appears to be slightly revised somewhere in the middle of the 2006 model year.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Did my 25 mile commute today with no dash lights and ESP enabled. However, now my cruise control doesn't work. Will check a fuse for that but it still concerns me.

Rant: Why is it that we have to have all this electronic crap on a truck? Don't the automakers understand that people will modify these trucks at some point? I haven't heard of other makes or DCX models having these issues when lifted. It'd be nice to be able to buy a truck with a "electronic safety systems delete" option for those of us who know how to drive and want to use our trucks the way they were designed to be used. Okay, rant over, back on topic now.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
Rant: Why is it that we have to have all this electronic crap on a truck? Don't the automakers understand that people will modify these trucks at some point? I haven't heard of other makes or DCX models having these issues when lifted. It'd be nice to be able to buy a truck with a "electronic safety systems delete" option for those of us who know how to drive and want to use our trucks the way they were designed to be used. Okay, rant over, back on topic now.
All new Chrysler Group models have this problem. The same issue occurs on the JKs. Jeep is actually being proactive with including these electronics on the vehicles. NHTSA and DOT have indicated that they will most likely be required on all SUVs/Pickups in the near future.

You shouldn't have these issues on just a 2" lift. The ESP usually will only cause problems on lifts greater than 3.5".

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I'm dropping the XK off tomorrow so the dealer can do a Starscan on it and to do the window TSB. With a manufacture date of 08/2005, what other TSBs should I have them do while its in there? I've already done the outside temp gauge and 4WD system software flash.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
All depends on what other issues you're having. They generally won't just run a TSB because you tell them there are TSB's.

I had to have the tranny line TSB as my tranny line was bleeding off and causing the jeep to slip into gear.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My front passenger window is screwed up, drops down in auto up mode, so its covered.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
My front passenger window is screwed up, drops down in auto up mode, so its covered.
Try this first before you ask the dealer to fix it (only takes a minute). I am copying this from a previous post I made:

My passenger window recently did the same thing and this is a known problem with the Commanders. I followed the repair procedure in TSB 23-008-06 and that seems to have taken care of the problem. You just have to reset the control. Here is the procedure:

1. Reset the express-up module for the door window glass in question.
a. Drive the glass into the full-up position by pulling up on the window switch to its
second detent (manual mode) and holding switch until the glass is fully closed.
b. Drive the glass to the full-down position by pushing down on (depress) the window
switch until the window glass is fully open. Do not release the window switch.
Continue to hold the window switch down for 30 seconds after the window glass is
fully open.
c. Drive the glass into the full-up position by pulling up on the window switch to its
second detent (manual mode) and holding up on the switch for at least one (1) full
second after the window glass has fully closed.
d. Check the operation of the express-up feature.
e. Check that the window glass reverses when in the express-up mode by holding a
pen in the path of the glass.

If the above doesn't take care of it you need to take it to the dealer and have them refer to TSB #23-008-06. They may have to replace the window regulator. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final update: just got the truck back from the dealer. There were several codes stored that they cleared, and the cruise came back to life. Guess the computer had to learn about the lift and compensate for it. They also did the window TBS, replaced the regulator.

However, When I got the car back it looked like it had been out in the woods for a week! There was sand and other crap all over the interior. Apparently they had the windows open and there was a microburst so I got a nice dirty interior to replace the nice clean one I left them with. I told the service writer that I was displeased at this, got a free detail out of it at my 12k service. Off to vacuum out the truck now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So what makes the ESP & Traction lights to come on with the lift? I'm planinng to buy a 2" lift by Rev-Tek will it be the same problem?

·
Registered
437 Posts
A 2" lift shouldn't make the lights come on. I installed a 2" Rustys lift and have no problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts