Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I just hit 20k and I'm wondering what you recommend I get taken care of. My b/f has been doing my oil changes and using synthetic. I havent had it at the dealer since the first oil change. My other vehicles were on a lease so I always had my oil changes done there.

I know to get the joints checked because I'm hearing some creaking. So it probably needs some greasing. I figured a tire rotation. I'm taking it to a local mechanic and not the dealer, so any other recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi JeepGirl. See the attached document for the maintenance schedules, it's an extract from a 2008 Commander manual. Hope it helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...I know to get the joints checked because I'm hearing some creaking. So it probably needs some greasing. I figured a tire rotation. I'm taking it to a local mechanic and not the dealer, so any other recommendations?
It might be different for other M/Y, but my 2010 Sport has no grease fittings, all the chassis/suspension ball joints are sealed and lubed for life.

Creeks can come from all sorts of things, can you better describe them and when the occur, so we might be able to help you isolate the cause?

Local Mechanics "can" be as big of a rip-off as dealers, you want to do what ever research you can to find out the reputation of the mechanic you take the vehicle too. Sadly, there are just so many poorly informed consumers out there, that mechanics can easily get away with ripping people off.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Other then the normal oil changes, the only other thing I would do is check the air filter and change out the fluid in both the front and rear differentials. What are the specs on your Commander? Engine size and what drivetrain....QD II, QT II or QT I????

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Actually, the owners manual says for 18k mi. intervals:
Inspect the front and rear axle fluid,
change if using your vehicle for police,
taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer
towing.
Keep in mind, if you use your Jeep mostly for short trips, where the engine doesn't reach operating temperature for more than 50% of the trip, usually less than 5 mi. that is just as stressful per mile on the vehicle as any of the things listed in the quote that makes it severe duty and I would recommend using the Severe Duty Schedule intervals noted in the menu.

And another point, unless there is something really really wrong with the oil, you can't tell if its good or bad by looking at it or smelling it. That is why most people take the recommendation to inspect the fluid and change as necessary as just changing the fluid, because you really can't tell if its good or bad, unless you do an oil analysis test.

You never mentioned the age of your vehicle or M/Y, those service intervals also list a time frame, which ever comes first.

Remember, your engine coolant is only good for 5 years, some of the first Commanders built need a coolant change by now. Most people agree that conventional oil degrades as it sits in your motor, so you should change it every 6 months even if you don't reach the mileage for an oil change, Synthetic could probably last longer than 6 months just sitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts