Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was looking for a budget way to get a little more sound out of my Hemi. I also never liked the enormous resonator on the intake. It blocks view of the engine.

It was real simple.

3.5" to 3.5" 90 Degree Elbow with clamps $13.62

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCKJ0LS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11 inch of 3" PVC pipe
black paint
Hot glue

Remove the ridiculous resonator. Clamp the elbow to the throttle body, Clamp the 11" PVC to the Elbow and airbox. Drill a hole for the temp sensor (before you clamp it in) and use some hot glue to seal and hold it in place. I also removed the snorkel/flap and cup from the airbox. Done!

It now sounds great! I know that I have a hemi under the hood..

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Thanks for your input Goforfish that looks pretty cool. That's a pretty decent deal on the elbow and the 2 clamps . Do you notice anything as far as performance gains or better mpg and do you still have the stock air filter?

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was only shooting for sound, but I think I gained a MPG or two. As for power it may be the placebo effect, but it feels better. Not sure about more power but it does feel more responsive. I have the K&N insert.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Basically what you have for $20 is what some have paid 10 times that for.

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmmmm, now You have me thinking about something like this for the 4.7 in ours.

Might improve fuel economy slightly, and at least it will sound like a real V8 that should get lousy mileage (the wife gets 12.x mpg, I get around 14.x mpg around rural towns and back roads).

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hey Fish what schedule PVC pipe did you use on your intake 20, 35 or 40 ? I'm thinking about doing this to mine, thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Fish what schedule PVC pipe did you use on your intake 20, 35 or 40 ? I'm thinking about doing this to mine, thanks.

Mark
He listed the elbow as a 3.5" (ID) elbow. Schedule 40 PVC is 3.5" outer diameter, so I'm guessing that's what he used.

That's what I bought for mine, but mine is a 4.7L. For mine, I have two straight rubber couplings and a 90 degree elbow and a 45 degree elbow. But the plumbing and routing is different on a 4.7. I'll be able to elimiate that accordion rubber hose and the muffler, and have smooth piping all the way when I get mine done.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking Racer all's I could find on line was 3" PVC so like you say the schedule 40 would be around 3.5" o.d. I ordered the elbow & clamps from Amazon today. I can't believe how much their asking for these so called h.p. flat filters that fit our Commanders.

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a small update.

For the 4.7L, the throttle body attachment OD is 3.25", not 3.5". The air filter housing is still 3.5" OD.

I've got a 45 degree PVC "street" elbow and coupling for the air filter end, a 90 degree PVC "street" elbow for the throttle body end, and a short piece of 3" schedule 40 PVC to go between the two. I've ordered the foil/fiberglass insulation, a 3.5" to 3.25" reducing coupling for the throttle body attachment and a rubber grommet for the IAT sensor. Those should be in later this week, but I won't get to it until next week.

I'm going on vacation (my plans) until August 1st or 2nd. I might post up a "How to" post with pictures here (or maybe on another Jeep XK/WK related forum, that's another can of worms) when I get back.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I've got almost everything I need to do this I just have to see what I need to hook up my air sensor. What kind of air filter are you going to run RacerX ?

Mark

·
Registered
371 Posts
The factory 5.7 throttle body is 80mm so your 3" tube is a bit small. There are aftermarket aluminum tubes made by Vibrant that would accomplish the same thing but allow you to maintain the factory or slightly larger diameter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's my home brewed creation. A 3.5-4 inch 90 degree coupler. A left over 4 inch tube from another intake, and a green filter installed in the stock box. I sleeved up the inlet on the airbox to accept a 4 inch coupler. i probably have $50 in it, and $35 of it is filter. I usually feel CAI's and intakes are just for noise, and minimal gains on stock ish vehicles, but I am totally on board this is an improvement over the stock resonator box.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The factory 5.7 throttle body is 80mm so your 3" tube is a bit small. There are aftermarket aluminum tubes made by Vibrant that would accomplish the same thing but allow you to maintain the factory or slightly larger diameter.
80mm=3.1" So not exactly a massive difference. Plus the tubing inside the factory stock resonator is < 3", so this is an upgrade from stock. :)

Nice call on the Vibrant tubes they look nice, but more then I intended to spend to get a little more sound from the intake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's my home brewed creation. A 3.5-4 inch 90 degree coupler. A left over 4 inch tube from another intake, and a green filter installed in the stock box. I sleeved up the inlet on the airbox to accept a 4 inch coupler. i probably have $50 in it, and $35 of it is filter. I usually feel CAI's and intakes are just for noise, and minimal gains on stock ish vehicles, but I am totally on board this is an improvement over the stock resonator box.
Looks good, yeah I am happy with the improved visibility to the front of the engine!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually goforfish I measured my resonator tube to be 82mm at the narrowest spot when I installed my 85mm BBK. I used a large flapper wheel and enlarged it to 85mm to match the tb and ran it that way for about a month before I installed an AFE cold air kit. The vibrant tubes aren't huge money but it is your call. I bought a 15* 4" all aluminum one last year for a supercoupe biuld for $40 CAD. The AFE kit came with a 100mm or 4" tube.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Loved the idea so today I did my 06 Hemi.
A couple things --
The piece of 3" schedule 40 pipe I shortened from 11" to 9.5 Inches. fit better plus there are a couple inches inside each couples to adjust. Mine at 9.5 inches was tight.
The hole for the Air Temp Sensor - I made it 3/8" and it is big enough so the sensor extends into the pipe inside.
I didn't like hot gluing the sensor in but it has a special end on it and not just a screw in. Hope it stays in with the hot glue.
The angle of the tube and 90 degree elbow is not 90 degrees so it is kind of a funny fit but will work. Wish the 90 degree elbow was more flexible. I got my 90 elbow from another source. Also did not need more clamps but 2 at most if you do not want to reuse the original ones.
I am using the stock air filter and on test drive I didn't notice much more intake sound but it looks nicer and like seeing the front of the engine to spot problems. May get a performance filter later. I have the lifetime power train warranty so keeping the original air box for the next trip to the dealer:)
90 Degree Elbow https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3PJD5O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Well the air temp sensor fell out after the test drive. Think I'll re engineer the mount. Failure was probably because I glued it the pipe over the paint. I removed it and removed paint in the mounting area and re-glued - will try that and if still comes loose I'll pull it and enlarge the hole to 9/16 so the sensor will enter the tube deeper. If I screw up the sensor a new one is less than $10. I also have a lot of 3" pipe as the shortest piece I could find was 5 foot.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Final results. The reglue stayed on for about a one hour drive down the interstate. I decided to go with the 9/16 hole with the sensor fitting much better, hot glued but wish some better adhesive could be used. To Enlarge the hole to 9/16" I did not have a drill that big but had a tapered reamer I bought to enlarge 1/2" holes in a dado set to 5/8" - it worked well to get to 9/16". There is a stud just above the water pump that hits the pipe of the new intake, do not know what it was for but I removed (and saved) it. Checked it with engine running and no leak. Screwed into the mounting assembly.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts