Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the Dealer I ordered the car from has my 20" inch wheels in (its got the regular 17"s at the moment). My dilemma is:

• The car rides so great now does anyone have any experience of upgrading from 17" to 20"
  • My car is probably not going seriously off-road in the next few years so it doesn't need them for this
  • Initially I thought that the wheel arches looked a bit unfilled but I've got used to it now so what do you think ?

Any input very welcome,

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
BigRicky said:
Initially I thought that the wheel arches looked a bit unfilled but I've got used to it now so what do you think ?
This is by design. You need a bit of room for wheel flex when off-roading so that is why all Jeeps (and most pickups, etc.) come with a considerable space around the wheel arches.

·
Registered
160 Posts
With a name like BigRicky, you need the 20s. I have 20's on my wifes commander and they work just fine. If you decide to go off roading throw the stocks on it and have fun. I seen another commander today with 20s as we were driving and it looks great. maximo

·
Registered
396 Posts
I put 20 inch KMC Venoms with Goodyear Eagle II's on my Supercharged 2001 Tahoe and the ride quality was fine. More responsive too than the factory 16 inch.

I agree though, going larger than that will probably seriously degrade quality in ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only thing that is ruff :mad: about 20" rims is the money it takes to tire them. Don't forget about the reprogramming of the speedometer (a dealer trip) and the tire pressure sensors are reportedly not compatable with after market rims, according to D.C.M.:eek:

·
Registered
396 Posts
2006-4.7-WHITE-LIMITED said:
The only thing that is ruff :mad: about 20" rims is the money it takes to tire them. Don't forget about the reprogramming of the speedometer (a dealer trip) and the tire pressure sensors are reportedly not compatable with after market rims, according to D.C.M.:eek:
Did your dealer charge you to reprogram the speedo? I need to do that. Do they just plug into the ECU?

Thanks! It hurts to see my mileage and MPG all wacked. It was bad enough when it was accurate. Now with the bigger tires, and inaccurate speedo/odo it looks terrible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They don't call them Stealerships for nothing!:mad: Everything has a charge. I don't know for sure but, everyone is swapping the new Dodge Rams with the optional 20inch rims so the truck forums would help. The ECM should already have the information or it can be flashed, there is a multitude of tire wheel combinations that DCM uses to help with the crazy information center numbers. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great. I have an appointment this Thursday to get the tires recalibrated. The Service Advisor could not confirm that the computer can be recalibrated, but it has to have that capability. The DSC seems to activate too early with the larger tires.

Thanks 2006-4.7-White!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.