Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Commander, 2006, 4.7L 4WD. Stock and proud
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m in the process of replacing a blown motor on my 2006 commander, and have run into some issues.
1)There are no motor manuals for the commander. Does anyone have suggestions or links? I found a Craig’s manual that is a convoluted mess, and doesn’t help with engine removal.
2)Aluminum heads with deeply recessed head bolts. I’m not sure where to lift from once it’s ready for the hoist. I’m concerned I’ll put undue pressure on the head wall if I lift from the head bolt. There is a threaded plug at the rear, but on an aluminum protrusion… can this support the full weight of the engine?
There is a threaded coolant inlet at the front (aluminum) that should closely balance the rear point, but likewise not sure if it can tolerate the weight…
Can anyone with experiance please advise?

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Hi all. I’m in the process of replacing a blown motor on my 2006 commander, and have run into some issues.
1)There are no motor manuals for the commander. Does anyone have suggestions or links? I found a Craig’s manual that is a convoluted mess, and doesn’t help with engine removal.
2)Aluminum heads with deeply recessed head bolts. I’m not sure where to lift from once it’s ready for the hoist. I’m concerned I’ll put undue pressure on the head wall if I lift from the head bolt. There is a threaded plug at the rear, but on an aluminum protrusion… can this support the full weight of the engine?
There is a threaded coolant inlet at the front (aluminum) that should closely balance the rear point, but likewise not sure if it can tolerate the weight…
@Frankly ;

Welcome to the forum;

Please read the 1st post of the New Member Required Reading thread below & complete your user profile signature as directed;

Once you complete this task, which is a requirement for membership, we'll be better able to help you.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 4.7L
167 Posts
There is a link somewhere here to the factory repair manual.
Starting at section 9 page 1260 is the engine removal procedure.
Let us know how it goes. So far, have not needed to do any major engine work
Knock wood.

·
Registered
2006 Commander 3.7 V6, 4WD QT-II
52 Posts

Welcome to the forum Frankly!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Service manual

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2006 4.7 - I swapped in a 2005 from a good running 2005 Grand Cherokee. It was very straightforward. I had trouble with the two top bolts in the bell-housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently put a 4.7 (that I rebuilt 2 years ago) from a 2006 Durango into a 2007 Limited XK. I screwed up and put the Durango plate between the engine and trans, which meant I had to use the Durango starter (which is on the passenger side) and run a longer pair of wires to the starter. and, I just assumed the exhaust manifolds were the same, but the Commander manifolds turn down sharply at the exit, the Durango manifolds have a smaller angle. exchanging these with the engine already in the vehicle is a pain, but doable. I have what sounds like a bad timing chain tensioner that I need to get in and replace, and i have a random dying situation without codes, i think is junk in the tank from the vehicle sitting for over a year (could be a bad ground also). the engine swap was time consuming but not intimidating . i used chains and bolts, using the two big bolt holes in the upper middle of the heads, and the bolt that sticks out of the front casting at the top (just below where the alternator and A/C compressor bolt on) to lift both engines - i had no problems other than the engine hanging at a different angle than it needed to be to line up with the trans.

removing the Commander engine is easier than removing the Durango engine, i only need one extra elbow for the Commander instead of the 3 needed with the Durango.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts