Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the 2008 model Commander with the 4.7l has a considerable horsepower increase. What are the differences between the motors? Would some of the 2008 parts carry over in order to add some power to the 2006?
Has this ever been explored? Having trouble finding mention of this question.

Thanks,
George

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I know the 2008 and newer 4.7 liters have 16 spark plugs instead of the normal 8. Thats 2 plugs per cylinder just like the HEMI. So obviously they have different heads then the 07 and older 4.7's.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The 2008 Commander came with a Corsair version of the FFV 4.7 L engine, with dual spark plugs per cylinder, a new slant / squish combustion system design, and 9.8:1 compression, raising power to 290–310 hp (220–230 kW) and 320-334 ft·lbf of torque. There were other upgrades as well.

Here is a link to read more. The 4.7 is related to the 273 and 318! I did not know this.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/47.html

If I ever have trouble with my engine, I would consider swapping for this, providing the electronics are compatible. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
87 Posts
i got this off that thread. "The heads are 'handed' - ie. not interchangeable side to side, mostly because the ports are in a different order left to right."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts