Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some advice on an issue I'm having with a 2006 Commander with 5.7l hemi. Recently the Jeep became hard to start, battery was replaced approximately 2 years ago with a Duralast Gold from Autozone. It seemed to have a weak battery so I had Autozone check the battery and alternator which they are saying both parts are "good." He noted the alternator output was something like 14.2V which is a bit high but not likely the issue.

After showing the autozone employee that the Jeep would not restart once shut off, they replaced the battery under warranty but stated that was likely not the underlying issue -- but would allow the Jeep to start, at least for a while. He seemed to think the issue is the voltage regulator which is built into the PCM/ECM.

Has anyone experienced this or a similar issue? What is the best option for replacing this part? I see some listed on ebay which are "plug and play" (programmed with the VIN).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention it will start once it has sat for a while, ex. over night. It still struggles to start as if the battery is weak. Once I drive it for a while and turn it off for 15-30 min it will not restart and need jumped.

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
Hi, I need some advice on an issue I'm having with a 2006 Commander with 5.7l hemi. Recently the Jeep became hard to start, battery was replaced approximately 2 years ago with a Duralast Gold from Autozone. It seemed to have a weak battery so I had Autozone check the battery and alternator which they are saying both parts are "good." He noted the alternator output was something like 14.2V which is a bit high but not likely the issue.

After showing the autozone employee that the Jeep would not restart once shut off, they replaced the battery under warranty but stated that was likely not the underlying issue -- but would allow the Jeep to start, at least for a while. He seemed to think the issue is the voltage regulator which is built into the PCM/ECM.

Has anyone experienced this or a similar issue? What is the best option for replacing this part? I see some listed on ebay which are "plug and play" (programmed with the VIN).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
@mhayes2344;

Welcome to the forum.

The voltage regulator is a possibility.

Are you receiving any DTC's in the EVIC?

My advice to you would be pay $120.00 for a full diagnostic check at a reputable Jeep/Chrysler dealership.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have you checked the connections to your starter? There's a pretty common "yellow wire" problem on these, where the connector to the starter corrodes and causes intermittent starting problems. It may or may not be the cause here, but it's probably worth a check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. No DTC's except one related to the crankshaft positon sensor when I had the Jeep jump started.

I ended up replacing the ECM with a remanufactured part which seems to have fixed the starting issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts