Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.7 eng coolant leak at lower radiator connection at engine. Antifreeze is dexcool right?? Also whatis capacity of system and does anyone know approx when thermo stat opens and whatit takes to bleed system cause I know it's gonna dump when I pull lower radiator hose. Thanks

·
Banned
246 Posts
4.7 eng coolant leak at lower radiator connection at engine. Antifreeze is dexcool right?? Also whatis capacity of system and does anyone know approx when thermo stat opens and whatit takes to bleed system cause I know it's gonna dump when I pull lower radiator hose. Thanks
Wouldn't the capacity be in the owners manual? Do you have a owners manual? What temperature thermostat do you have, that is when it opens. Bleed it, run it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not dexcool.
DON'T USE DEXCOOL IT WILL RUIN YOUR WATER PUMP.

Same goes for the 3.7. I accidently used that when I had to replace the radiator in my Liberty. Filled it with Dex-Cool and 7,000 miles later I had to replace my water pump. Turns out the Dex-Cool does not provide the lubrication that the HOAT stuff does.

Zerex G06 or Mopar Antifreeze/ Coolant 5 Year/
100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive
Technology)

14.5 Quarts

Drain plugs are below the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
DexCool is a NIGHTMARE, it is only for use in vehicles designed for DexCool.

*DexCool does NOT mix with other Anti-Freezes
*DexCool does NOT protect if there is air in the cooling system and generally creates all sorts of additional problems if the cooling system is NOT functioning 100%.
*DexCool is NOT compatible with certain seals, plastics and rubber; and will soften those materials and create leaks.

Read your Owners Manual, it states exactly what you need. Just because they dye it pink, it does NOT mean the Mopar HOAT fluid is DexCool, its a totally different long life anti-freeze.

Like mentioned before, use the Mopar Fluid or Zerex G-05. The Prestone "All Makes, All Models, Mixes with any color Anti-Freeze" is bogus, IMO, most experts agree. Its a DexCool derivative and most experts recommend people NOT use it.

A '06 model, was built and factory filled 5 years ago. The HOAT anti-freeze is rated for 5 years / 100k miles. Most experts recommend changing it earlier than that, they are NOT convinced you can count on the anti-corrosion additives lasting that long.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Gonna throw you a bit of a curve here but......kinda odd for a hose to begin leaking at this point...can't say it wont but it would be unusual.
The water pump has a weep hole above and forward of the connection.
If the pump seal is failing the coolant drips from the weep hole, follows the pump casting and runs downward and rearward to the connection.
The coolant then follows the hose to its low point, just before the radiator connection.
So, what I'm getting at is you should look at the weep hole area with a strong flashlight to verify your leak is the hose, not the pump.

Would kinda suck to drain the coolant twice.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts