· Registered
2006 Jeep Commander 140k miles, Hemi, Old Man Emu lift
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Hemi w tow package
140000 miles
Newer water pump
Newer thermostat, hoses, fluid

Recently rad fan would come on high at below normal operating temps.
Pulled battery went away.
Started doing it again in which it comes on after 2 mins after startup: speeds up and then slows down
Normal temp showing on cluster
Disconnected fan and it stopped so no issues I think with solenoid
Replaced water temp sensor and it stopped for about 50 miles
Now it is doing is again right after start up and speeds up as I give it gas.
Has had no refrigerant in AC for quite some time due to leak.
Any ideas???

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
The Hemi has a hydraulic fan unless someone replaced it with an electric?
@bennyjn1909 Welcome to the forum.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Hemi has a hydraulic fan unless someone replaced it with an electric?
@bennyjn1909 Welcome to the forum.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual
Thank you I updated my settings.
Yes has the hydro fan, having issues and can’t figure it out

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
I made a signature for you.

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
I posted this in another thread, may have stuff that applies:

OK, so I am no expert at the wiring diagrams, but it appears that in the Power Distribution Center (Front), there are 2 relays:
Relay, Radiator Fan Low 24, and Relay, Radiator Fan High 11
The part number shown is 56006709.

see diagram here: 2001-2022 Mopar Mini Relay 4727370AA | MoparPart

on RockAuto, is a generic relay:

More Information for WVE 1R1283

I do not know what is "downstream" from those relays as to what triggers the fan to go on high speed vs low speed. Is it a hydraulic valve that increases flow from the Power steering, or a valve on the fan that allows more flow? Maybe...?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the hydro fan doesn’t use relays. I think. Mine didn’t come with the relays for the fans and I thought I read that hemi’s with the hydro fan didn’t. Something is sending the fan a signal to come on and that is what is stumping me. Perhaps it’s the fuse block or pcm? Totally lost on this one

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
I think the hydro fan doesn’t use relays. I think. Mine didn’t come with the relays for the fans and I thought I read that hemi’s with the hydro fan didn’t. Something is sending the fan a signal to come on and that is what is stumping me. Perhaps it’s the fuse block or pcm? Totally lost on this one
Not having a 5.7L, there is no personal experience with this.
However, according to what I've read, the PCM controls a solenoid that controls the hydraulic fluid.
They fluid is provided via the power steering pump.
The PCM looks at the coolant temp and decides fan rpm.
If the solenoid fails, you should get a code.

The fan hi/low relays are for the 3.7 and 4.7 engines

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
I think your solenoid is working, as the fan comes on, and on different speeds. So what sends the signal to the solenoid?

Looking at parts catalog, figure 8-1305 shows Fan Module (EZO is the 5.7L):

05143200AA 1 EZ0 Fan module

The drawing shows this "module" as located on driver's side near front of engine compartment, with what looks like a fan solenoid attached.

05143201AA SOLENOID, Hydraulic Fan Control

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I unplugged the fan and it stopped working which I believe shows the solenoid is good.
I replaced the coolant temp sensor and it appeared to fix the issue for a little bit of driving.
Now it started doing the same thing as before in which it comes on and off as soon as I start it.
No other issues to really speak of so I don’t know where it’s getting a signal to come on

· Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
72 Posts
I have an electronic copy of the service manual for Commanders. I do not know where I downloaded it from, but I think this is it:

. I cannot cut and paste from it. If you can download a copy, there is a lot of info on page 7-39 (page 767) thru 7-45 (772), including info on the power steering fluid path, integral fluid valve in the fan, a steering flow control valve, and the 2-stage G force hydraulic drive, etc. Engine Coolant Temp, Transmission Oil Temp, and A/C system pressure are all fed into Fan Control Module to determine flow rate needed for the fan cooling system.At idle, 100 to 500 RPM of fan is supplied, as minimum flow thru drive with fluid is needed. More there, that is just some stuff I copied so you could get an idea...Takeaway: Coolant temp sensor (you did that), Trans oil temp sensor (which one?), and a/c system pressure (low or high sensor?) could all be at play in getting your answers.

Also mentions Data Code DTC 1499. Though I could not find what the code was for...confusing.

On other cars I have worked on, the fan speed was on High when the a/c was on, (blower fan on any speed except 0). Was the high speed of your fan when you had the a/c on? Could it be that when you drove it, without a/c on, it seemed normal. Then you turned the a/c on and the fan was on High again?

· Registered
2008 Commander Limited 5.7 QT2
44 Posts
So, Im gonna start with a simple question. When they/you replaced "fluid" did this include the PS / Fan pump fluid? Did you use the right stuff? Because its not ATF4 or any other type of readily available fluid. This has caused many people issues since the viscosity is different - Jeep Specification MS-10838. Now, the dealer has this fluid but Ive found that you can use https://penray.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/LIT-3832-Tech-Bulletin-517.pdf (thanks Bunkie) or some have had results with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BSEGZ00/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Reactions: Michigan

· Registered
12 Posts
Proper power steering fluid could be the issue. I just replaced my radiator and flushed the power steering system in the process. I ordered 2 qts of Mopar hydraulic fluid from morris 4x4 and they mailed me ONE quart of Mopar ATF+4..... I was pissed. Now they are telling me that's what the manufacturer recommends and they just changed the part number. I'm still chasing my refund for this bait and switch. I ended up using Lubegard 23232 Complete Synthetic Power Steering Fluid from amazon ($17.99/qt). They claim to meet or exceed MS-10838. I didn't have any fan troubles before or after this procedure.... so it might be off track. Let us know how it goes.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I apologize the only fluid I changed was radiator fluid. Power steering fluid looks good and is full. The issue stopped for a few miles after I replaced the radiator fluid temp sensor near the throttle body. I have a sneaky feeling it’s something with the pcm which I hope I am wrong

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an electronic copy of the service manual for Commanders. I do not know where I downloaded it from, but I think this is it:

. I cannot cut and paste from it. If you can download a copy, there is a lot of info on page 7-39 (page 767) thru 7-45 (772), including info on the power steering fluid path, integral fluid valve in the fan, a steering flow control valve, and the 2-stage G force hydraulic drive, etc. Engine Coolant Temp, Transmission Oil Temp, and A/C system pressure are all fed into Fan Control Module to determine flow rate needed for the fan cooling system.At idle, 100 to 500 RPM of fan is supplied, as minimum flow thru drive with fluid is needed. More there, that is just some stuff I copied so you could get an idea...Takeaway: Coolant temp sensor (you did that), Trans oil temp sensor (which one?), and a/c system pressure (low or high sensor?) could all be at play in getting your answers.

Also mentions Data Code DTC 1499. Though I could not find what the code was for...confusing.

On other cars I have worked on, the fan speed was on High when the a/c was on, (blower fan on any speed except 0). Was the high speed of your fan when you had the a/c on? Could it be that when you drove it, without a/c on, it seemed normal. Then you turned the a/c on and the fan was on High again?
Good questions and thank you for the response.
I never use the AC but perhaps it’s getting turned on.
I have changed the trans fluid in the last 200 miles and the pain with drain plug. I have never had any codes come up due to trans temp I guess it could be that. Is there any relay etc that can be removed so the AC doesn’t have an input?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Proper power steering fluid could be the issue. I just replaced my radiator and flushed the power steering system in the process. I ordered 2 qts of Mopar hydraulic fluid from morris 4x4 and they mailed me ONE quart of Mopar ATF+4..... I was pissed. Now they are telling me that's what the manufacturer recommends and they just changed the part number. I'm still chasing my refund for this bait and switch. I ended up using Lubegard 23232 Complete Synthetic Power Steering Fluid from amazon ($17.99/qt). They claim to meet or exceed MS-10838. I didn't have any fan troubles before or after this procedure.... so it might be off track. Let us know how it goes.
That’s a good idea and a cheap method to try. I think I will replace and see if it helps. But the only fluid changed so far is radiator. I disconnect the fan and it stopped and threw a code so I think it’s getting an input from something else

1 - 17 of 17 Posts