Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am stump on this issue so my bottom radiator hose was just coming off so I replaced it I added more coolant i noticed it over heating and so I bought a new thermostat and after that it was still overheating what should I do because On the top radiator hose where the thermostat hosing is like blowing steam from the hose if I could get some help

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
You probably need to burp the coolant - The easy way might be to park up-hill.
See How to: Changing Coolant | Jeep Commander Forum

Welcome to the forum.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,110 Posts
I made a signature for you, change if you like. On the overheating there are a lot of things that can cause it. burping is the most common. Use the "Search Community" box above to get other ideas.

·
Registered
2006 Limited 5.7 QDll 146k miles
238 Posts
I also tried that I going to replace the water pump to see if that is my problem

Sounds like there is air in your cooling system. Did you purge the hemi's cooling system of air via the little purge bolt above the water pump when you filled it back up with fluid?

Reactions: fshnbob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get a sure fill funnel from NAPA, 30 bucks. Its like an open funnel that secures to your radiator cap. Fill it, get it up to temp (it will fill up the funnel, be careful). All while squeezing the upper radiator hose to free the bubbles.. And then let it sit until it cools down, being cautious ti fill it with more coolant before it drops too low.

Only way Ive been able to easily bleed the whole system. You might have a bleeder on the water pump but Mine was siezed lol

Also... Steam from the thermostat housing? Make sure that is tight, the upper hose clamp is tight, and make sure you got a rubber o ring gasket around the t stat

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 130,000 miles
39 Posts
You probably need to burp the coolant - The easy way might be to park up-hill.
See How to: Changing Coolant | Jeep Commander Forum

Welcome to the forum.

The following is required of all forum members.

Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual
Sounds like there is air in your cooling system. Did you purge the hemi's cooling system of air via the little purge bolt above the water pump when you filled it back up with fluid?
Get a sure fill funnel from NAPA, 30 bucks. Its like an open funnel that secures to your radiator cap. Fill it, get it up to temp (it will fill up the funnel, be careful). All while squeezing the upper radiator hose to free the bubbles.. And then let it sit until it cools down, being cautious ti fill it with more coolant before it drops too low.

Only way Ive been able to easily bleed the whole system. You might have a bleeder on the water pump but Mine was siezed lol

Also... Steam from the thermostat housing? Make sure that is tight, the upper hose clamp is tight, and make sure you got a rubber o ring gasket around the t stat
With my commander I have found that every time that the radiator cap has been taken off, eventually I would find my engine getting hot at idle, once by me a twice by shops checking my fluids while doing other services. Last time this happened I was just getting my tires replaced the tech had listed that all fluids were checked and okay, and sure enough the next week I started having overheating problems. I did the purge procedure and it is fine again. I don't know if the same happens with others but it seems to be in my case anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts