Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So gents my 2006 Jeep commander (55k miles), which I bought new, its engine blew. My mechanic said something about the valve dropping and blow out the valve cover and bits of metal going into the block. My mechanic says I need a new engine. Estimate total cost $4500. Does that sound about right. Also since I have to get a new engine are there any performance V6 engines out there that would be an easy swap in for about the same price. Any comments suggestions would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow. Man, sorry to hear about that. Just curious...you said V6. 4x4? If so, QD or QT?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
So gents my 2006 Jeep commander (55k miles), which I bought new, its engine blew. My mechanic said something about the valve dropping and blow out the valve cover and bits of metal going into the block. My mechanic says I need a new engine. Estimate total cost $4500. Does that sound about right. Also since I have to get a new engine are there any performance V6 engines out there that would be an easy swap in for about the same price. Any comments suggestions would be very appreciated.
Are you sure you don't have a lifetime powertrain warranty?
Depending on the date you purchassed it, it could have this.
Also, are you certain you did not buy a ext. warranty?
Sounds like a silly question but I have met many folks that did forget they had it.

Failing on those counts, have you contacted a dealer to see if Jeep will offer any financial assistance......often, the manufacturers will perform a level of 'custumer satisfaction' assistance.
Remember, I said manufacturer, not the dealer.....their function in a case like this is only as a go between.

The price quoted is about par for this repair using a new engine.......but this is rather low mileage and this is not a mileage related failure.....a dropped valve means the spring or retainer failed, neither is a wear item.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
319 Posts
have you figured out what to do yet? is that including labor? very expensive...shop online for good used low mileage 3.7. you can buy a complete srt-8 grand cherokee engine and trans for 7k, includes ecu harness, gauge cluster everything!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts