Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I own a 2006 jeep commander limited, 4x4, QT-11, 5.7 hemi. I found the front drive shaft to be causing the noise I was hearing. The rear CV joint was rusted toast. The front is a 4 cap U-joint, common on so many older cars. It has sticky spots that cause me to need to replace it too. The CV joint will be easy but not sure about the front u-joint. Instead of snap rings holding the caps in, they are staked in 6 places on each part of the front yoke.

I have replaced many u-joints with the snap rings but not sure if any damage will occur if I press out these u-joints! I am sure many have run into this and am looking for suggestions or no worries, just press out, replace and restake the caps. I hope I described how the front u-joints are fitted. Please ask for clarification if needed.

Thanks

Russ

·
Registered
170 Posts
HI,

I own a 2006 jeep commander limited, 4x4, QT-11, 5.7 hemi. I found the front drive shaft to be causing the noise I was hearing. The rear CV joint was rusted toast. The front is a 4 cap U-joint, common on so many older cars. It has sticky spots that cause me to need to replace it too. The CV joint will be easy but not sure about the front u-joint. Instead of snap rings holding the caps in, they are staked in 6 places on each part of the front yoke.

I have replaced many u-joints with the snap rings but not sure if any damage will occur if I press out these u-joints! I am sure many have run into this and am looking for suggestions or no worries, just press out, replace and restake the caps. I hope I described how the front u-joints are fitted. Please ask for clarification if needed.

Thanks

Russ
Those U-Joints are "not" rebuildable. That not to say they can't be rebuilt, but they are not made to be rebuilt. Here is a thread of a how one person did do it. https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/23-regular-service-maintenance/27074-replaced-front-d-s-u-joint-today.html#post270274 Looks like a complete new front drive shaft for that year runs $500.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice to know a standard 1310 is a good replacement. Now to find a better retention method than tack welds on the caps, which are are not convenient for trail repair... dont 1310s have C clip caps? Maybe its better to clearance the inside of the yoke to accomodate those?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice to know a standard 1310 is a good replacement. Now to find a better retention method than tack welds on the caps, which are are not convenient for trail repair... dont 1310s have C clip caps? Maybe its better to clearance the inside of the yoke to accomodate those?
If you are looking at trail repairable you might think about upgrading the entire drive shaft. A couple of drive shaft places make a heavy duty replacement front drive shaft. Especially good if you have a dropped front diff. About the same price as an OEM replacement. I've been eyeballing the ones from Tom Wood's Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - WK Jeep Grand Cherokee

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah thats all good if you MUST replace the shaft, but for direct 1310 replacement in the stock shaft, it looks like they are End Clip retention, so that proposes an issue that still requires fabrication to solve. For us DIYers at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts