Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..new to the forum, hope everyone is well.

Quick question, this is the first winter we are going to have with the Jeep and wanted to know...how do we activate the 4x4? I have the Quadra Trac II. All i want is normal 4x4 driving, no low 4x4, etc. Just normal snow condition 4x4 driving.

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The XK is permanent 4x4. The only thing you can activate is the 4LO which you won't use for regular street driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seeming no rocks or steep inclines in central ohio (columbus), i think i will stick to 4x4 normal road condition driving.

THANKS...happy holdidays!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Welcome to the fold....and OH
GO BUCKS!

Go to Hocking Hills and cruise.

We finally got a little snow and the little toy cars are in the ditch.

DB is protecting our northern borders

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the Commander!

Cico...Geaux Tigers! Just could not help it:) After all it was where I played ball.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Your owners manual tells you how to engage 4wd LOW. Going from memory I believe you put the tranny in neutral, let it coast say 3mph, then pull up on that lever on your console. Its not very often anyone would do this on a road. For one thing, DONT exceed the recommended speeds in 4WD LOW which are relatively low. If you were pulling a boat out of the water you might want 4wd Low but generally you dont put it in LOW if you are on a solid road surface. If you slide off and are on an embankment it might make sense or slowly plowing through a snow bank or something like that. Otherwise 4wd Low is mainly for offroading. john

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. Another quick follow-up question/response to the 4x4 low. What purpose does the N button next to the 4x4 low lever serve? Do you push it, does it light up, can someone elaborate?

THANKS!

·
Registered
588 Posts
That would only be used if you were towing your Commander. The N button puts the transfer case in NEUTRAL. I doubt you will ever use it. If you live in a high risk area of vehicles being stolen, some people put their T/C in neutral when they park. If anyone attempts to steal you vehicle, it wont move when they put the tranny in gear. If they are unfamiliar with 4wd's they probably wont know what to do and will give up. john

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The N button is if you were going to tow your XK with the wheels down. It disconnects all of the drive trains. Have your brake on if you release it.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
My800 - it will be a great game-regardless! I want to see a game, not a blowout either way....
jcarter - we can tell you a lot of things in the forum, but nothing beats having the dealer or a knowledgeable person in the absence of a knowledgeable dealer walk through it with you. I say this only because a bit of wrong information or misunderstanding can toast your enjoyment of the 4x4 experience.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think I read where the 4wd low will automatically kick out once the speed hits something like 10 or 15mph. I would have to go back and look. Best not to do that anyhow. Always good to have a fellow Ohioan in the crowd. Go BUCKEYES!

Guarding the north (gotta watch those Michiganders):D
db

1 - 14 of 14 Posts