Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ryan D, I have the exact problem with the shudder when backing out of driveway while foot on brake when I make my sharp right turn at low speed. I took it to a tire shop, they rode it around didn鈥檛 seem to think anything was wrong. I always doubt them since they did not even inspect the brake pads or rotors.So I need to take it somewhere else.The fact that your saying it still does the shudder kind of puzzles me馃

Super Moderator
Hi Ryan D, I have the exact problem with the shudder when backing out of driveway while foot on brake when I make my sharp right turn at low speed. I took it to a tire shop, they rode it around didn鈥檛 seem to think anything was wrong. I always doubt them since they did not even inspect the brake pads or rotors.So I need to take it somewhere else.The fact that your saying it still does the shudder kind of puzzles me馃
Alright @JoAnnA; Welcome to the forum;

I'm kind of confused by your post - is there a question in here somewhere?

Who are you directing this post to? And who is Ryan D?

Also, please complete your user profile by answering all of the Commander related questions; Thank you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I am new to this forum.. I was replying to another member who was asking if anyone was having the same problem he was with his Jeep. I am not sure what you mean by answering all the Commander related questions by completing my user profile.

Super Moderator
@JoAnnA;

I understand that you're new to the forum and that's fine;

Typically when you respond to something another member posted, you respond to that member in the thread where you read, whatever it is that you're responding to - you should not start a brand new thread posting your response, with nothing to refer back to - which is why myself and a few other members, were scratching our heads when we read your initial post.

Hopefully that makes sense to you, because, I really don't know how else to word it, if it doesn't.

As far as your user profile goes; click on your user name and you should see a tab that says "About" When you open the "About" tab you should see additional fields to fill out about you including information about your Commander; It should look something like mine does, in the screenshot below when your complete;

Profile.PNG

Premium Member
Did you try changing the Transfer case oil? It has a special oil, only available from a Jeep dealer - about $20. On the 06's there was a bulletin for the transfer case oil - was causing "Lock Shudder" where when wheels turned all the way either way (lock) it would shudder. They changed to a better oil. The oil is NV 245/247 and you need 3.8 pints (2 quarts)

Registered
Did you try changing the Transfer case oil? It has a special oil, only available from a Jeep dealer - about $20. On the 06's there was a bulletin for the transfer case oil - was causing "Lock Shudder" where when wheels turned all the way either way (lock) it would shudder. They changed to a better oil. The oil is NV 245/247 and you need 3.8 pints (2 quarts)
Is there a way to check and see if my transfer case is low on transfer case oil? I'm a new 06 Commander 5.7L owner with QDII. I am getting a shudder vibration when I hit the speed of 25mph.

Premium Member
It is easy to check the level of oil in the transfer case, there is a fill hole (1) on the transfer case to remove and the oil should be felt by inserting a finger in the hole, car should be level when doing this. Good to check but probably not the cause of your shudder.

Registered
It isn't that the transfer case is low on fluid that it shudders. It shudders if the fluid needs changing or the wrong fluid has been put into the transfer case(which is common).

Super Moderator
It isn't that the transfer case is low on fluid that it shudders. It shudders if the fluid needs changing or the wrong fluid has been put into the transfer case(which is common).
It's also pretty common that Hemi owners with QD-II & ELSD's use the wrong limited slip additive friction modifier which is well-documented to cause the shudder that the OP is describing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts