Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts

What was the first sport-utility vehicle as we now understand the genre? Any answer is bound to be controversial, but the Willys-Overland, produced from 1946 through 1962, and the Jeep Wagoneer, its successor from 1963 through 1991, stand out as some of the earliest fully off-road capable four-wheel drive vehicles civilized enough for everyday use in town. The Willys-Overland, while having only two doors, even had a seven-passenger capacity thanks to a jump seat behind the second-row bench. When it debuted in 1984, the Jeep Cherokee offered four doors as well as the then-standard two, and was designed to be as capable in the city as it was off road.

Interestingly, despite the SUV boom of the 1990s, fueled in large part by vehicles like Jeep's own Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, the Wagoneer was the last large Jeep. It's taken until now, with the 2006 Jeep Commander, to fill that void in the lineup.

Click below to read the rest of the article

Source: The Auto Channel

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dear JayC:
All the positive features of this truly remarkable (no pun meant at all) vehicle is supershadowed by one disastrous feature. The gas tank which takes exactly 18 gallons from full to empty light lasts from 200 to 240 miles. I consider this unacceptable and awaiting a reply and remediation from Jeep. An SUV with a Jeep namesake does not deserve this. Did the designer of this car go to college? In case they forgot the math, here it is: Take the minimum desired range, divide by actual (not bogus) miles per gallon and add 2 gallons to the figure: 300 miles / 12 mph = 25+2=27. That's the size of the tank that should have gone in the vehicle and not 20 gallons. Oops! I guess they forgot how to do the math. I feel cheated and insulted and so do a lot of unhappy people who have to deal with never ending fill-ups.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased (02-28-06) the Jeep Commander with 5.7 Hemi 4x4 Limited. I love this vehicle and all the ammenities which come aboard. The ride is excellent, interior has the luxury style to compete, exterior styling grows on you and I have already gotten comments on it's unique appearance. I evaluated BMW, Lexus, MB, Cadillac, Toyota 4 Runner and Nissan Path Finder. This vehicle beats them all. Handeling is excellent, ride is smooth, handsfree uconnect very nice, one of the quitest vehicles I have ever driven and I have had the best sedans over the past 15yrs. This is my first SUV in that time period. I have owned an 83 Jeep Scrambler in excellent condition for over 12 years and have nothing to say than it is so much fun. Anyway, the biggest knock I have on the Jeep Commander is the mielage. I am averaging 11.8 highway/city mix (70/30%) mix. I am absolutley disappointed in the mielage when Chrysler/Jeep posted 14 city and 19 highway, it is not even close.

I actually went to dealership today to return the Jeep based on this alone and only this alone (who BTW was excellent and completley not thier fault). The fuel tank is 20.5 gallons, I have refilled the tank 4 times since I picked up the Commander on 02-28. A real disappointment that every 180 miles I need to start looking for a gas station. I have no problem paying the cost, but the size of this tank is suited for compact 4cyl. car. I am calling Thom Lasorda (Pres./CEO of Chrysler/Jeep) Monday to log my issue and see if this can get resolved. I love this SUV so much, DCJ needs to recall the fuel tanks and get bigger ones. This is a huge interuption to stop for fuel every 180 miles. Imagine if I was a purchasing agent for United and just bought a 757 from Boeing with the understanding that it could make from LA to NY on single tank, only to learn that you need to stop in St. Louis to refuel. I think I would be fired ASAP. Just a big disappointment on the fuel economy and have been mislead by DCJ and the posted window sticker for MPG. At a minimum, with the mix of city/highway driving I do everyday, the MPG should be somewhere between 15 & 19.

Any comments appreciated and I think for those of us who own the Jeep Commanders already, :( we can all call Mr. Lasorda (248-576-5741 or call customer service and ask for his office) to help him identify this major flaw. Who is the engineer that missed this one?????

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got my LTD 4.7l version about a week ago and love it!
True the tank is kind of small and the mileage low.
Considering what the machine is capable of, the mileage is reasonable. I'm not out to spend all my cash on gas but look the power machine with full off-road capability and a 7 seater too.
I feel like the king of the road whenever I'm driving it. People stop and check it out too. Other SUV drivers look submissive when they pull up. :)
The body is a clone of the new H3 Hummer. A couple of days ago, my wife started to try to get into an H3 Hummer parked a couple of cars away from our Commander! They were both white and amazingly similar. Of course, the specs on the Commander blow the H3 away.
:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
You took the words out of my mouth. At exactly 180 miles I start getting nervous and am looking for a gas station. I am absolutely disgusted that the "FREEDOM MACHINE" (Yes, I just got that colorful brochure congratulating me on purchase of the freedom machine) can do this. What an insult to the public. How can they do it to us? The customer service rep said that the size of gas tank information was always available and not it is my fault I did not pay attention. Discusting is an understatement....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, the gas tank is a weak point. I find that you still may have almost two gallons left when the digital readout indicates empty. Not scientific evidence, but I have driven around while it reads 0.

That's funny that your wife tried to get into an H3.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want good mileage, just buy a 4 cylinder SUV with 2 wheel drive that sits 4.
If you want a power machine that can haul 7200 lbs stock, and heave 7 people up the side of a snowy, rock-strewn hill with the satelite radio blasting over 200 watts, then buy the Commander. Love my Hemi 4.4 LTD Commander!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dear Bing:
You are missing the point altogether. I am not entirely thrilled by totally mispresented and unrealistic mileage figures but I am not complaining about the mileage at all. I did not buy this car to get great mileage - there are other vehicles available for this purpose. I bought the so called "FREEDOM MACHINE" and my freedom range is limited to 200-220 miles. If they did not know how to fit the car with properly sized gas tank, as apparently is the case, as they spent all the available brainpower on fitting the 3rd seat at any cost, they should have not produced this car. Imagine a great new Boeing coming to the market and it can fly only 1000 miles? In one word, this car is abomination. Sorry I've got stuck with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mikey,

Just do what us boaters do---strap on some aux tanks!

If you're only able to go 200-220 miles (10mpg), then either you have a lead foot (and deserve it) or there's something wrong. Take it back to the dealer!!

I get 16mpg highway with the Hemi.

You're NOT stuck with it--I'm sure a Toyota dealer will be happy to take it in on a trade for a Prius.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mikey said:
Dear JayC:
Oops! I guess they forgot how to do the math. I feel cheated and insulted and so do a lot of unhappy people who have to deal with never ending fill-ups.
While I agree it is dumb, you didnt do the math either before you bought it.;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
As I mentioned before, this is my 4th SUV and (2 explorers, one full size montero) and on all the SUV's I owed my city/hwy mileage was not any different from the advertized figures by plus or minus 1 mph. My average tank fill (from full to empty) is 18 gallons and I am averaging 12 mpg combined. My last fill-up was 18.2 gallons at 0 miles left and this fuel took me 226 miles. On all the SUV's I owned the range was 300-400 miles. This is the first one on which I happened to have a "lead foot". But no, I won't sell it as it is a nice car altogether and I've got a 5yr/60K warranty bumber to bumber plus all maintenance free for 24K. I'll drive it and hmm... just keep on filling it up more often. In the meantime, I hope the Jeep people read it and figure something out but, I don't think they're up to the challenge. p.s. Sorry for SGilbert but nope, no Prius for me, buddy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mikey,

It may be that the tank is too small. For me it's hard to tell. I've read this forum for months now and see many people claiming good and bad mileage. I don't own one yet either, so I can't say for myself.

However, that's part of the risk you run when you buy a new model car in the first year. That's when most of the kinks get worked out. You may find that in the near future there will be more issues that come about that couldn't have been forseen for the same reason. It could very well be that in the coming short years they might add a bigger tank. I'm considering buying a Commander right now and I'm also looking at the H3. Both are new cars for 2006 & run the risk of having more "issues" than most other SUV's already in production for several years (like your Explorers).

·
Registered
68 Posts
sgilbert said:
Mikey,

Just do what us boaters do---strap on some aux tanks!

If you're only able to go 200-220 miles (10mpg), then either you have a lead foot (and deserve it) or there's something wrong. Take it back to the dealer!!

I get 16mpg highway with the Hemi.

You're NOT stuck with it--I'm sure a Toyota dealer will be happy to take it in on a trade for a Prius.
I get at least 16 mpg HWY with cruise control around 61 mph. I've hit 19 for many stretches too, and that's on an engine with only about 600mi on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mikey said:
As I mentioned before, this is my 4th SUV and (2 explorers, one full size montero) and on all the SUV's I owed my city/hwy mileage was not any different from the advertized figures by plus or minus 1 mph. My average tank fill (from full to empty) is 18 gallons and I am averaging 12 mpg combined. My last fill-up was 18.2 gallons at 0 miles left and this fuel took me 226 miles. On all the SUV's I owned the range was 300-400 miles. This is the first one on which I happened to have a "lead foot". But no, I won't sell it as it is a nice car altogether and I've got a 5yr/60K warranty bumber to bumber plus all maintenance free for 24K. I'll drive it and hmm... just keep on filling it up more often. In the meantime, I hope the Jeep people read it and figure something out but, I don't think they're up to the challenge. p.s. Sorry for SGilbert but nope, no Prius for me, buddy.

Mikey,

I don't have a Commander, but I do have 300C Hemi. Do you have the HEMI? If so, I think your MDS may not be active. It could be because you are not using the right kind of oil (MDS won't function if you don't use the oil required in the users manual) or that you MDS needs resetting. Check out this link for the procedure:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/faq-tech-forum/8356-faq-mds-reset-required-after-battery-disconnect.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
the best gas milaege i got was 280 on a tank all highway, that aint bad. but I just have the v6

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to forums in general and hope I can find my way back here as this info. is interesting and helpful.

I don't know if going from a 20 to a 21.5 gallon tank will help much but the 07 models are going to have 21.5 gallon tanks. Maybe they listened to the complaints!

I am going to be getting an 07 C Overland and I am really excited. The more I see and drive the C, the more I like it. I love it - I have test driven many and researched them all - the C is just the perfect size for me - big but not too big and still easy for me to manage. It is quite hard for me to see to back up (almost impossible with the third row up) so I am glad there is a back up camera option with the Navigation screen offered now. My one huge complaint is that I think the side mirrors should be double the size they are - it really bothers me that they are so dinky and I hope they make them bigger. They need to be much bigger! Maybe I will get used to them but when I test drove the 06 twice, it really bothered me. I even called Jeep to inquire if I could put bigger mirrors on it - but was told not yet. I am also disappointed because I don't think you can't get white on the Overland model which is what I really wanted...why would they not offer white? :(

The 06 I drove had something funky going on with the MDS (the mileage checker) and it just kept scanning up and then down and then it would lock an an estimated mileage - I felt like I needed to reset it about every 10 minutes which I guess messes up the estimates? I wonder if there is something wrong with the whole system because there seems to be a lot of complaints about it...maybe it's that I just don't really know how to best operate it - I tend to want to know what mileage I am getting at any one time but it seems to freeze - any suggestions on how this feature is best utilized? Plus, I heard a brief and ever so soft chime three different times when driving an '06 overnight...I wondered if it was some indicator indicating that the mileage checker was malfunctioning? The salesman was in the car with me the first time but he said he couldn't hear it...maybe I am just crazy!

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Mike,
I´ve had my Commander only for 10 days, I have a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokees 2000, and so far I m spending the same cash in gas to drive the JC as I did the JGCherokee.
Maybe it is too early to tell but I have a feeling I will not notice much difference.
I did not expect to spend less due to the size and weight, but I don´t mind it.
I hope you will learn to enjoy your JC and get used to spending the little extra cash on the gas.
If you decide to keep it as you mentioned you might as well enjoy it and be happy with your choice.
Just my five cents.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts