Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Jeep Commander Community
My name is Greg C. and I'm new to this Forum. I own a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 Limited and Love It!
I'm a DIY kinda of guy and always eager to learn. At the moment I'm having some issues with my Commander and hoping someone in the community
can provide some assistance. I found the following link on YouTube and is the exact issue I'm experiencing at the current moment.
If anyone has experienced this before, can you provide some insight to the issue?
The YouTube link is: youtube.com/watch?v=MLhgQ86iQWk

Thank You,
Greg C.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hello Jeep Commander Community
My name is Greg C. and I'm new to this Forum. I own a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 Limited and Love It!
I'm a DIY kinda of guy and always eager to learn. At the moment I'm having some issues with my Commander and hoping someone in the community
can provide some assistance. I found the following link on YouTube and is the exact issue I'm experiencing at the current moment.
If anyone has experienced this before, can you provide some insight to the issue?
The YouTube link is: youtube.com/watch?v=MLhgQ86iQWk

Thank You,
Greg C.
Welcome to the forum @Greg C.

Post some pics of your Commander when you can; As for your front end noise it could be one of several different issues; tough to say just by listening to a youtube video; Could be a pulley with some bad bearings somewhere or maybe your hub-bearings going bad, first thing I'd check is the pulley on the waterpump. Does it make the noise at idle - or only when driving? If it only happens while driving then it's more likely hub-bearings or something of that nature.

Anyway, here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.com/store/account/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAhh8eDfktvKOcXIbZZtyM9MiasWVk-Mba45s2yxNrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

JeepSteel Custom Bumpers - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2Fen%2Fcatalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks & again, Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is this noise proportional to the engine RPM or to the vehicle's speed? If it happens at idle, or seems tied to the engine RPM and goes back down as the transmission shifts gears then creeps back up until the next shift, I would be looking at belt driven things like pulleys, water pump etc. If it seems to be proportional to the vehicle speed and just constantly increases as you speed up regardless of transmission shifts, I would look at everything behind the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for the feedback.
It happens when I accelerate (clunking and screeching), but when I let off the accelerator and coast, it's fine.
With engine running at idle, everything is normal (pulleys, water pump etc...is all good).

I thought it might be rotors or calipers, but now I'm concerned it could be the front outer or inner pinon bearing (hope not), but possibility.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds like it's only happening when the drivetrain is under load then. Take a look at your CV and U joints on your driveshafts/half shafts, and check for any abnormal play. I wouldn't expect one of them to screech, but that's definitely a quicker/cheaper item to replace than a pinion bearing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can you duplicate the sound without driving? Just raising RPM while parked, then try again raising RPM while in drive but with foot on the brake, just to put a load on the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried that and It's only happening when the jeep is moving, in park or like you suggested when in drive (standstill), it's all good.
It's definitely coming from the front (almost positive not from the back). I'm changing my front rotors and pads tomorrow (it's due, but unlikely what's causing the issue), but hoping that's what it is. My fear is the front pinion bearing (will see).

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I tried that and It's only happening when the jeep is moving, in park or like you suggested when in drive (standstill), it's all good.
It's definitely coming from the front (almost positive not from the back). I'm changing my front rotors and pads tomorrow (it's due, but unlikely what's causing the issue), but hoping that's what it is. My fear is the front pinion bearing (will see).
Could be one of your front hub bearings as well. You might consider checking them while you're changing the front rotors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2 cents...
If its anything like that video i doubt its a pinion bearing which would be rotating at 3-4x wheel speed. Also was definately faster than 1:1 wheel speed which rules out hubs and halfshafts.
What i heard in that sounded much more like an alternator , water pump bearing or fan clutch because of the noise changing speed while the vehicle speed remained constant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the insight...today I plan on digging into it a little deeper and hopefully find the issue. I read one post it could be the CV bearings on the front drive shaft where it attaches to the transfer case. I'll report back on what I find.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
My 2 cents...
If its anything like that video i doubt its a pinion bearing which would be rotating at 3-4x wheel speed. Also was definately faster than 1:1 wheel speed which rules out hubs and halfshafts.
What i heard in that sounded much more like an alternator , water pump bearing or fan clutch because of the noise changing speed while the vehicle speed remained constant.
Big Blue said:
Post some pics of your Commander when you can; As for your front end noise it could be one of several different issues; tough to say just by listening to a youtube video; Could be a pulley with some bad bearings somewhere or maybe your hub-bearings going bad, first thing I'd check is the pulley on the waterpump.
That was my first thought when I heard it too. Even mentioned that in my initial response. I said pulley but obviously there is a set of bearings under that pulley. If those water pump pulley bearings are really shot, you'll actually see that pulley wobbling as it turns.

I had that water pump pulley/bearings go bad on me on an old '95 Grand Cherokee I had and it sounded almost identical to that video.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been several days since my last post...problem has been solved. Turn out it was the CV Joint on the Front Drive Shaft. Ordered a replacement CV Joint on Amazon $49 vs $400 for a new drive shaft. First time changing this type of part (rather simple and easy) several good videos on youtube. Runs like new!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts