Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
that piece behind the radio that prevents you from installing an aftermarket radio, I didn't even know it existed at first when I had installed my radio myself. I was just getting pissed that my radio wouldn't go in, so I pulled it out, reached in with my bare hand, grabbed the first hard thing I felt and ripped it out. It came out completely clean like it was designed to do such a thing. My mood flipped immediately.

Point of the story was that it isn't hard to remove, but don't get me wrong it did take some force.
I think you read my description wrong; I didn't even get to the part where I would check to see if the depth was right. The radio cut-out in the dash is not a rectangle like it would be for a NAV unit. The left and right sides of the hole have a semi-circle carved out to fit the buttons on the factory unit. I saw a kit on eBay that has the center piece of the dash to swap it out, but again; when I turned over the dash assembly, that center radio piece was not snapped in or screwed in. It was melted in with plastic rivets.

Like I said, this was turning into WAY more than I bargained for. If this followed my luck, I would have bought a bunch of extra items to make this work, then I would've broken something that I needed for the install, then on top of everything I would have to pay someone after the fact to fix everything I screwed up..lololol :wink3:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think you read my description wrong; I didn't even get to the part where I would check to see if the depth was right. The radio cut-out in the dash is not a rectangle like it would be for a NAV unit. The left and right sides of the hole have a semi-circle carved out to fit the buttons on the factory unit. I saw a kit on eBay that has the center piece of the dash to swap it out, but again; when I turned over the dash assembly, that center radio piece was not snapped in or screwed in. It was melted in with plastic rivets.

Like I said, this was turning into WAY more than I bargained for. If this followed my luck, I would have bought a bunch of extra items to make this work, then I would've broken something that I needed for the install, then on top of everything I would have to pay someone after the fact to fix everything I screwed up..lololol :wink3:
It does sound like a lot of work, but if the center piece is only held in with plastic rivets they're easy enough to remove with a drill and a little time. You can just drill them out like a normal rivet, as long as you're careful not to punch through the front dash panel.

Otherwise, take a look at this radio from Seicane. It should fit in your stock slot and use the factory connectors, so it's as simple as putting it in. It's more expensive than most Android stereos, but eliminates the need for a dash kit, a wiring harness, and any other install parts other stereos might require.

·
Registered
390 Posts
that seicane radio is pretty nifty. do you know if it works with the factory satellite radio? i looked through the site but nothing jumped out at me. ill take a look at the instructions later tonight.

·
Registered
390 Posts
no info on satellite radio, so assume no compatibility. after reading the FAQs, it appears it will not work with the Boston Acoustic systems either...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey DRM,
Thanks for the info on that Seicane unit, but I wasn't looking to spend too far over a hundred for this project; I have to get a new set of tires on before winter and that takes priority. My biggest issue is that even though this is a so-called "limited" model, the current wiring doesn't support any of the cool add-on's that I miss from my last Commander. I now have a magnetic clip that holds my phone on a vent to replace navigation and a wireless camera to provide the backup picture. At this point, adding all that and making it look nice and seamless is just way more than I wanted to spend. I got my fingers crossed that this BT unit will return my ability to take hands-free calls and then I will be pretty much set. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Ok, the unit I got for my Jeep is the ROAV by Anker. If you have Amazon Prime, it's just under $30. I gotta tell you this thing is AWESOME! First, there is not much of an install. I literally plugged it into the 12v port, went to the Bluetooth setting on my phone and selected the new device and it connected right away. The music is crystal clear as well as telephone calls. I asked my first caller if they could hear me ok and they said I came in loud and clear. Another big positive is how the phone works with Siri. In my 2010, if I activated Siri, I would have to wait a couple of seconds before the microphone activated, and then it would only recognize about half of what I said and sometimes shut off early. This one lets me talk just as if I wasn't connected to hands free. There is an app for this phone that allows you to monitor the health of your car battery when connected. To top it all off, it will also mark your GPS position through your phone when the connection is broken so that the app can help you find your way back to where you parked your car. This device has 2 USB ports that allow for quick charge so this allows me keep the other 12v port free for other things (like my wireless backup camera screen). I have this plugged into the port on the left so that it switches off with the battery; otherwise it would draw power and possibly stay connected to your phone if you are not that far away from your vehicle.

At the end of the day, I think this is an excellent alternative for those of you who do not have a hands-free radio installed. This adapter is tiny and basically look like any USB phone charger that you would have in your vehicle anyway. There are other adapters like this out there with big screens that even EQ your radio, but I prefer the subtle way that this device works. The one accessory this adapter does not have is an aux port. It seems like a lot of the competitors out there have one. Honestly, this is only a big deal if your phone does not have bluetooth; so I guess if you have a really old phone then this model is not for you. Anker makes several other adapters though so I'm sure you can find one that meets your needs.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I’m new to the page I have a 2006 Commander and I bought a new aftermarket radio cause I wanted to upgrade well we got the radio to light up but no sound so we messed with a few wires and it’s still doing the same thing.. is there a certain brand of radio you have to get I’ve already bout the wires,radio, install kit antenna Adapter I’m still having issues any help is appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a 5.7 hemi 2006 jeep commander does anyone know where i can find a radio wiring diagram?

·
Administrator
15,503 Posts

·
Administrator
15,503 Posts
I own a 5.7 hemi 2006 jeep commander does anyone know where i can find a radio wiring diagram?
@Gio What specifically do you need to know?

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
@Gio;

Welcome to the forum; Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed in order to comply with the forum rules;

Maybe this will help you;

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
My wife has a 2007 Commander Limited that she describes as the last car she will ever own. It has AM/FM, 6 disc CD, and Sirius satellite radio with the high-end speaker system. She also had a dealer installed UConnect add on when new. In recent weeks, the satellite radio will abruptly stop working. I have been on the phone with Sirius XM several times, getting reset bullets and such. Nothing so far has mattered. When the sat radio stops working, it still displays the channel and content to which it is tuned. The AM/FM and CD changer will always still work. Then, when you least expect it, the satellite content comes back. The sat antenna connection seems intact, and in fact one of the Sirius XM "experts" told me the display likely wouldn't work either if the antenna was involved. The dealer wants to pull the entire radio and replace it - - somewhere on the high side of $1,000.
I have just learned that the RAQ radio delivers Sirius via an add-on module. I also see that the module can be ordered online. So my question is: has anyone else encountered this issue and, if so, does replacing the Sirius module cure the problem?
Sorry for the lengthy narrative.
You could have a break, or a bad connection in the cable, going from the Sirius module to the Satellite radio antenna, causing an intermittence; The cable runs from the radio up through the headliner back to the Satellite radio antenna on the rear of the roof.

It would probably be worth having that checked out.

When I bought my XK my Sirius Satellite radio did not work and that cable being broken was the cause.

I have no idea how that cable broke, because the dealership mechanic that worked on it, told me that there was no evidence that my headliner had ever been previously removed.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts