Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last year my Jeep will intermittently not crank. Everytime this happens, the starter solenoid clicks in, but the engine will not turn over. I end up jumping it to get it started and it works fine for a "while" and will end up not starting again. Occassionally, the dashboard lights and the headlights will flicker while we are driving the vehicle. I have replaced the battery twice in the last year to no avail. I have had the Jeep serviced by an independent servicer and the dealership. Neither are able to replicate the problem and neither have any idea what is causing the issue. It seems to be a ignition off battery drain, but I can't believe a battery could drain as quickly when this problem occurs. I have driven it 50 miles, gotten out to get a drink and get back in to only find that it will not start.

After reading many posts in this forum, some are similar, but most appear not to crank at all, even when trying to jump them off. If anyone has experienced the same issue and could provide some support, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts
A lot of people report problems with the power and ground cables having bad connections. Many at the starting motor and others at the battery. Placing an amp meter on the battery plus side, with everything off it will typically use about .6 amps. When you jump it the voltage goes up to 14V if the car jumped from is running, so it can overcome a bad connection slightly and start. You might check the battery voltage - car off it should read 12 volts, running about 14Volts

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts
It could be the battery. Even if the battery test good it can still be bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The battery never logs a low voltage indication as an error, which steers me away from another battery. I'm leaning towards a bad connection at the starter, which has not physically been checked yet.

·
Administrator
16,181 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The battery never logs a low voltage indication as an error, which steers me away from another battery. I'm leaning towards a bad connection at the starter, which has not physically been checked yet.
Trust me, the battery can show good and still be bad. I'm not saying your problem is definitely a bad battery. It could be a bad connection as you say. But if that doesn't pan out you should reconsider the battery.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There is a push-on connection at the starter that can corrode. When it happened on my 06 I could not even jump it although repeated on/off with the key sometimes started it.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I replaced my battery with a sears international something with replacement
warranty. 6 months later, dead again this time it was the alternator. Replaced
it. Fine.....
A short time later, my jeep would not start. Jump it and it would go
go just fine for a while and die again. I had it tested at the part store. nothing
showed up. Died again went to another shop, he tested said it was the battery.
Went to Sears, tested fine showed alternator was bad. Went to dealer.
This went on several times. Finally I am at sears after the 3rd battery drain test
second that day and the mech showed me the meter and all the tests came out
fine. He started it, I watched.....meter said bad battery. He was shocked.
After several times of testing and back and forth trips..............the alternator
and battery had both gone bad and was really causing problems.

It''s probably your starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking the problem is the connection at the starter. If it is corroded, it would generate enough resistance to drop the voltage enough to not fully engage the starter solenoid. Any chance anyone has a picture or directions to get to this connector?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Search the old posts, I remember one where this was discussed. The dealer replaced my wiring harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Creek, did the dealer replace your wiring harness under warranty or did they charge you for it? My Commander has 120K miles on it and I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into this problem.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I had to pay I was several years back, but believe it was in the 400-550 dollar range. If you can get it on a lift, you might be able to get to it after removing the skid plate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had the same problem. Mine was a corroded and loose main ground connection on the block, right next to the starter. It seemed to be coated in some waxy cosmoline crap. I cleaned up the terminals with a strip of fine sandpaper and the screw on a wire wheel and the problem went away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2006 5.7 hemi. Was having a similar issue. Every couple of days I would only get a click when I turned the ignition. Jumping it would get it started so I assumed it was the battery. After replacing the battery and continuing to have the issue I traced my problem down to loose corroded connections at the starter. Way cheaper overall than I was expecting! I should have had the battery checked before I replaced it but I was being my usual hard headed self!

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
When you fixed the connections at the starter, did that take care of the dash lights flickering as well? If so, can you do a quick write up on how you got to the starter and what to look for?

I have also heard that it could be the TIPM?

·
Registered
452 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts