Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which transmission does the 2006 V6 have in it? Mine has appeared to go out and the shop wants $3k to rebuild it, which seems a bit much.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It depends on the 4WD system your vehicle has. Overwhelmingly the V6 Commanders were QT1 4WD systems, and they had the Mercedes designed (Chrysler built) NAG1 (aka W5A580) transmission. A few V6 Commanders came with QTII, I'm NOT sure what transmissions these came with, it might have been the same as the V8's that had the Chrysler Transmission.

$3k for a trans rebuild sounds a little high. $2500 sounds more reasonable. You can purchase a factory rebuilt transmission for less, but still have to pay someone to swap it out, so the bill likely would get up to the same as you're dealing with now.

Are you sure your trans needs a rebuild? Trans shops sometimes do "create" business by claiming a trans that just needs repaired needs to be rebuilt. If you continued to drive a vehicle with a malfunctioning transmissions, that often results in chewing up the trans and needing a rebuild. Many people do that, that is why trans rebuilds are common when someone finally gets to a shop and says, (its been doing this weird thing for the last 33k miles).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it is the QT1.

When it is able to move, its difficult to shift in and out of gear, the engine will begin to rev up and then it won't move anymore after that.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
QTI doesn't have the ability to shift into 4LOW or Neutral, so the shift console would NOT have a chrome T-Handle to shift into 4LOW, nor would it have the little pen button to put it into Neutral.

You could simply be very low on Trans Fluid, but if you've been driving for a long time very low on trans fluid, the trans could need rebuilt.

The W5A580 trans does NOT have a dipstick, the tube will be capped off stating "Dealer Service Only".

The 545RFE trans will have a dipstick you can check the fluid level.

The flexible hose to the trans cooler on the Commander often develop slow leaks, so the fluid level would go down slowly. If you've had that leaks for years and never checked the fluid level, you could suffer transmissions malfunctions and damage could result after that.

Before I would pay to rebuild the trans, personally I would bring the fluid level up to where it should be with the correct fluid and see how it works then. If you have the NAG1 / W5A580, that requires a special dipstick tool you can order off ebay, a Chart out of the FSM (you can find the chart on the internet) and some way to measure the trans fluid temperature. This trans needs the fluid level set precisely based off the temperature of the fluid. That is why they cap it off without a dip stick to keep amateurs owners from being sloppy and overfilling it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts