Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to make my 2wd XK 4wd? I would really like to start wheeling and off-roading but don't want to look like a fool with a 2wd.

I see on my frame there are brackets for what looks like would be the front axles and everything on a 4wd. What's the easiest least costly route to go? Everyone tells me to staight axle it, what is Straight Axle? I'm new to the 4 Wheel world. Always had Hondas and motorcycles.

Thanks for any help or input.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Is your Jeep Commander a "Hobby Vehicle" and NOT your daily driver?

You're willing to spend thousands of dollars?

Ditching the OEM Front suspension and installing a live axle, for a brand new beginner, I don't think that would work very well, NOT only expensive, lots of headaches and custom fabrication, etc, etc. That is a challenge for someone with more experience and lots of tools.

The same transmissions have different bodies for the transfer cases to bolt on, you would have to swap out the trans with the transfer case. You will probably need electronic modules and reconfiguration of existing electronic modules, etc.

Probably the only way this would every be practical is to find a Junkyard donor car that you can pull off the parts off you need. Work out a deal with the junkyard to swap the parts you have to take out, like the trans to reduce the costs.

One option that may be safer, and maybe even cheaper, look for a 4X4 Commander to trade your 4X2, or trade in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts