Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Commander. My A/C driver's side is getting cool air but the passenger's side seams to be getting a mix from outside air. What I have checked so far is turning a/c on, front and rear. In doing so I get cool air on driver and in rear with warm air from passenger vents and middle vents of second level seating. I think it is the blending actuator behind my glove box. Any thoughts or knowledge of this phenomenon?

·
Registered
378 Posts
First thing you can check is if the gear for the recirc door is broken. I'd drop the glove box and take a look.

Otherwise you're probably just low on refrigerant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A/C Responce

Did that! There is movement but question it is complete / correct.
With the car running and A/C switched to recirculate (no outside air) I can spray "Febreze" on intake vents and smell it inside the car!
How can it be cold in rear A/C and driver's side and be low on refrigerant? Got to be a door not shut completely or actuator not pulling complete.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's not really the correct way to check it. You need to drop the glove box and observe proper operation. It could be a broken gear, or it could be a broken motor, or it could need some type of re-calibration, any other methods won't help you figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that..... Gears are good. Cam is activated and turning. Seems to go all the way to end then back out a little when I set to recirculation mode on knob. I just know I'm getting HOT Texas air mixed inside. Get a service manual I guess. :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
My understanding is that since it's fairly self automated it's not uncommon for it to be partially open. It can open and close in increments, which is all done automatically. If the gear isn't broken you have to assume it's working properly.

The only other two things you can try are to remove the motor and close it manually, or try changing all of the settings out of automatic mode, then turn on the recirc.

Hard to say without vent temps and pressures but it's possible you have a low charge, or a bad expansion valve.

You also have to understand that the system will still produce cold air even if the recirc door is open, in fact it's usually open to some degree if you don't manually close it, and a problem with it wouldn't explain why you'd have warm air on one side and not the other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Thanks Brian! Will give it a shot through the motor. Hoping to find something in door to clear out! :) If all looks good, will shoot a little R134a in it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
If it's on manual mode and you turn on recirc the door should close fully. If it's on automatic it kind of does whatever it wants.

So you should be able to make sure it closes fully just by putting it in manual mode and looking at it. Mine certainly closes fully.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah I just assumed he had the auto climate control. If you do, change the fan speed to high and the vents from auto to blowing at your face, and put the temp at the coldest, then push the AC button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in search for the same answer. I have a 2007 Commander with cold air coming out of the drivers side and outside tempature from the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and they said it would take 2 days to take the dash apart. The part could cost $49 or $298. They wouldn't know until they got it apart, total cost between $700 and $1200 to fix! There is a service bulletin http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2400207.pdf that is also what you are taking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I took the dash apart. 1st thing I noticed is the air distributor box was designed for a dual controlled setup. But since I only have single control they connected the gates together in the middle with the motors on one side. I checked to see if the gates where still connected together and they were. I removed the motors and operated the gates manually and they worked fine. FYI the motor that is on the drivers side and the highest is the main selection gate control. The lower motor on the drivers side is the one that controls the gate for the air conditioner. The motor on the passenger side controls the gate for the heat. Being I had the dash torn apart I wasn't able to try the system. Couldn't find anything that wasn't moving right. Put it all back together and IT STILL DOESN"T WORK! The motors all work and opens the gates. I didn't take the air distributation box apart because I thought it had to many gates to get lined up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, I took the dash apart. 1st thing I noticed is the air distributor box was designed for a dual controlled setup. But since I only have single control they connected the gates together in the middle with the motors on one side. I checked to see if the gates where still connected together and they were. I removed the motors and operated the gates manually and they worked fine. FYI the motor that is on the drivers side and the highest is the main selection gate control. The lower motor on the drivers side is the one that controls the gate for the air conditioner. The motor on the passenger side controls the gate for the heat. Being I had the dash torn apart I wasn't able to try the system. Couldn't find anything that wasn't moving right. Put it all back together and IT STILL DOESN"T WORK! The motors all work and opens the gates. I didn't take the air distributation box apart because I thought it had to many gates to get lined up.
Any luck getting that repaired? My sister in laws Commander has the same problem, cold A/C on drivers side and warm/outside air on passenger side. I'll be looking at it in a week or 2 and hopefully be able to fix it. Let me know if you got yours fixed and what you did to fix it. THANKS

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought I would bump this as I am now experiencing this on my 2007. Any firm ideas on this? I could fool the system by turning on the third row A/C which would cause the passenger side to cool. Unfortunately, now the air just seems warmer than normal everywhere. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hate to kick an old thread, buttttt... This is my exact problem and the folks in this thread have tried what I'm beginning to try in attempts to resolve it, I ordered a blend door actuator from a friend in parts at the local jeep/chrysler dealer in hopes of throwing that at it and it fixing it, already charged it so I'm taking baby steps with the cheapest parts first, actuator was only $29. Anybody have any ideas, or anybody that may be viewing this thread fresh have any ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts