Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2007 with the basic bottom of the line single cd head unit. All the simple harness adapters for this vehicle are listed for 2008 and up. For 2007 they list a harness with a amp bypass harness that is a mile long. Does my basic unit that sounds like mud have a factory amp? All the simple adapters say they dont fit my 2007 and refer me to the expensive harness. Has anyone with the basic radio in a 2006 or 2007 done this swap and knows which harness to get?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried crutchfield.com? Give them a call. A little more expensive but they know car audio.

I had a setup in my cart with all the needed accessories. Thats when I noticed that the harness they had in the cart was the expensive one with the amp bypass cables. I guess I would just ignore those cables and just use the short harness plug. But then I would be paying for the other wires and not using them. Just the short plug is dirt cheap on ebay and amazon. Also, the unit I wanted was out of stock. I still want a cd player. LOL. Also, from what I understand the stock stereo plug has no ignition switched 12v lead, just a can bus lead that tells the constant 12v to stay on under certain circumstances. So I will need to add my own 12v switched source for the aftermarket deck. I see people are using the 12v power port as a source because its easier than running a wire to the fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Ive got a 2007 with the basic bottom of the line single cd head unit. All the simple harness adapters for this vehicle are listed for 2008 and up. For 2007 they list a harness with a amp bypass harness that is a mile long. Does my basic unit that sounds like mud have a factory amp? All the simple adapters say they dont fit my 2007 and refer me to the expensive harness. Has anyone with the basic radio in a 2006 or 2007 done this swap and knows which harness to get?
@Carbuff;

There are 2 things I try & preach to all new Commander owners - and they're both in the New Member Required Reading Sticky Thread.

1) Check that all of your factory recalls & campaigns have been completed.

2) Download the factory build sheet for your Commander as soon as you buy it - or even beforehand, if you have the VIN prior to purchasing it.

If you download your factory build sheet, it will tell you if your stereo came with a factory amp or not;

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

Alternate Link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed for your Commander by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in your VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have the build sheet and there is no mention of the sound system at all. Through searching all over, Ive concluded that I dont have a factory amp. I think my biggest issue is the short harness plug shape. Some have square corners all around and others have the top 2 corners slanted/rounded. Chrysler had a lot of weird things going on in this 2005-2010 timeframe. Many items that got changed in one vehicle in a certain year, carried on in another one for a year or 2 more. I guess this is why there are so many people on amazon claiming that the harness did not work for them but plenty of other people with, lets say, a Ram truck had no problems. I guess I have to take my dash apart and see which plug I have, the square one or the rounded one. Also, I believe the antenna connector changed in this time period as well.So that will be another thin I will have to check. I am using the crutchfield part numbers as a guide to try and narrow it down.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have the build sheet and there is no mention of the sound system at all. Through searching all over, Ive concluded that I dont have a factory amp. I think my biggest issue is the short harness plug shape. Some have square corners all around and others have the top 2 corners slanted/rounded. Chrysler had a lot of weird things going on in this 2005-2010 timeframe. Many items that got changed in one vehicle in a certain year, carried on in another one for a year or 2 more. I guess this is why there are so many people on amazon claiming that the harness did not work for them but plenty of other people with, lets say, a Ram truck had no problems. I guess I have to take my dash apart and see which plug I have, the square one or the rounded one. Also, I believe the antenna connector changed in this time period as well.So that will be another thin I will have to check. I am using the crutchfield part numbers as a guide to try and narrow it down.
Towards the bottom/back of your build sheet, there's a heading called Optional Equipment: that's where the amplifier would be if you had it, because it was not standard equipment. It was part of the Boston Acoustics Premium Sound System - and it would be listed as 276 Watt Amplifier; you would also see 6 Boston Acoustics Speakers listed there.

If you don't see either of those things, you definitely don't have a factory amp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Its not listed so I guess I dont have it. Ive removed the radio and discovered that I have the "old" style square connector. It may even possibly have the 2 power wires needed for the radio. I wont know until the dash kit comes in the mail next week. I have the radio out and will look up the part number to see what it says about can bus.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks. Its not listed so I guess I dont have it. Ive removed the radio and discovered that I have the "old" style square connector. It may even possibly have the 2 power wires needed for the radio. I wont know until the dash kit comes in the mail next week. I have the radio out and will look up the part number to see what it says about can bus.
Very good, keep us posted, I'd be curious to hear what you find out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I completed the install tonight. I do not have the factory amp so I was able to use just the short adapter harness. As stated earlier, the stock radio only requires a constant 12v source and gets switched on by the canbus. So the aftermarket radio needed a seperate switched 12v source. The lighter socket right below the radio is a common sourced used and thats what I used. After matching up all the speaker wires from the adapter to the aftermarket head unit's plug, I attached a red wire spliced into the lighter socket feed to the red power wire of the aftermarket plug. My new unit has bluetooth hands free so I had to run the wire for the microphone and plug it into the back. Then the stock antenna wire needed an adapter. So after it was all hooked up it turned on perfectly and I now have plenty of sound and sources galore and bluetooth. The single din dashboard adapter was cheap and worked fine, looks good. It was relatively easy as Ive done this type of thing many times before and this job went fairly straight forward. I still have to sync my phone and put a few things back together but Im happy so far.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A couple of after pics. The mic

And the single din deck

Now we've got tunes from multiple sources and bluetooth hands free for the phone. All for about $75. Im happy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
A couple of after pics. The mic

And the single din deck

Now we've got tunes from multiple sources and bluetooth hands free for the phone. All for about $75. Im happy.
Can you post the parts list from the build? I wish my '06 radio had more inputs like that and I do not want to spend a lot to do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you post the parts list from the build? I wish my '06 radio had more inputs like that and I do not want to spend a lot to do it.

Sure, I dont know how long the ebay links will stay active. The single din deck. I offered $55 and it was accepted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Refurbished-KD-RD88BT-BT-CD-AM-FM-Car-Stereo-w-Pandora-and-iHeartRadio/162958262584?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The install kit. I had a section of wire for the 12v switched supply.
So, it was $70 for the whole deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Din-Dash-Kit-for-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Stereo-Install-w-Harness-Antenna/401376155898?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 - 12 of 12 Posts