Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with a list of parts required to swap a 4.7 into my 2007 Commander that currently has a 5.7. Already know the trans bolt pattern is the same for both engines. Need to know if I use the engine mounts from the Cherokee or the Commander mounts will work for the 4.7. And know I need a new engine computer as well. Big question is; will the engine wiring harness from a 2003 work in the 2007 Commander or will I need one from a 2007 Commander exclusively? Also, need to know if I need different engine sensors, O2 etc. Sure need input.

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
@SpackS; Welcome to the forum; The one question I can answer for you is that I'm almost certain that the 2003 wiring harness will not work. You would want the correct 4.7L 2007 XK wiring harness.

It would also be helpful to know what trim package (Sport, Limited etc.) and 4WD system your 2007 Commander has.

Also please read the below New Member Required Reading below; thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I completed the profile area the way it is supposed to be. My Commander info is not displaying beneath my avatar as stated above. Don't currently have a photo of my Commander. For much of my Army career I did not have even photos of myself for the most part. I will get a photo of it in 30-45 days since it broke down around 350 miles from home and I had to leave it at a close friend's home until I can get the engine replaced. Sounds crazy, but I swapped digging a hole in my friend's backyard and relocating her sewer clean-out access pipe for the title to the Commander. LOL She bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited like her mother's who is also a very close friend I first met in Heidelberg, Germany years ago. Being in the Medical Department, I tend to make allot of friends because I understand how the system works to get family supported when they are being told routine answers that don't help at all. The mother bought the Commander initially nad used it to commute only 8 miles daily to work and back near Ft Meade. Then she bought her much newer Grand Cherokee Limited and gave the Commander to her daughter in PA. Then I was asked if I would dig the hole and relocated the sewer clean-out access pipe and accept the Commander in trade. LOL, jumped on it since I always wanted one. Except for the driver's seat leather cover, it is in immaculate condition. Then the woes began when the engine went down. Since then, I discovered the issues plaguing the 5.7 Hemi and decided to just replace it with my 4.7 which I have never had any problems with.

Other questions keep popping up at night when I go to bed and have some time to think more. 1) will the exhaust system from the 5.7 direct bolt to the manifolds on the 4.7? If not, can the two exhaust systems be joined together past the converts?; 2) can the radiator from the 5.7 be used with the 4.7 or do I need to specifically get the radiator from a 2007 Commander that had a 4.7 already in it?; 3) Can the alternator, AC pump, power steering and power brakes pump on the 5.7 be used on the 4.7?; what should I do about the engine control computer...purchase a new one and have it programed or what?; 4) are there any other electrical or mechanical parts I need to buy to use during the swap?

I am going to turn 66 this year, am a 2003 Wounded Warrior from Iraqi and would truly appreciate all the assistance in information to get this right so it fires up perfectly from the first attempt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@SpackS; Welcome to the forum; The one question I can answer for you is that I'm almost certain that the 2003 wiring harness will not work. You would want the correct 4.7L 2007 XK wiring harness.

It would also be helpful to know what trim package (Sport, Limited etc.) and 4WD system your 2007 Commander has.

Also please read the below New Member Required Reading below; thank you.

Trim package it the Overland.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trim package is the Overland. The build sheet is like 9 pages long. LOL

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Not sure I completed the profile area the way it is supposed to be. My Commander info is not displaying beneath my avatar as stated above. Don't currently have a photo of my Commander. For much of my Army career I did not have even photos of myself for the most part. I will get a photo of it in 30-45 days since it broke down around 350 miles from home and I had to leave it at a close friend's home until I can get the engine replaced. Sounds crazy, but I swapped digging a hole in my friend's backyard and relocating her sewer clean-out access pipe for the title to the Commander. LOL She bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited like her mother's who is also a very close friend I first met in Heidelberg, Germany years ago. Being in the Medical Department, I tend to make allot of friends because I understand how the system works to get family supported when they are being told routine answers that don't help at all. The mother bought the Commander initially nad used it to commute only 8 miles daily to work and back near Ft Meade. Then she bought her much newer Grand Cherokee Limited and gave the Commander to her daughter in PA. Then I was asked if I would dig the hole and relocated the sewer clean-out access pipe and accept the Commander in trade. LOL, jumped on it since I always wanted one. Except for the driver's seat leather cover, it is in immaculate condition. Then the woes began when the engine went down. Since then, I discovered the issues plaguing the 5.7 Hemi and decided to just replace it with my 4.7 which I have never had any problems with.

Other questions keep popping up at night when I go to bed and have some time to think more. 1) will the exhaust system from the 5.7 direct bolt to the manifolds on the 4.7? If not, can the two exhaust systems be joined together past the converts?; 2) can the radiator from the 5.7 be used with the 4.7 or do I need to specifically get the radiator from a 2007 Commander that had a 4.7 already in it?; 3) Can the alternator, AC pump, power steering and power brakes pump on the 5.7 be used on the 4.7?; what should I do about the engine control computer...purchase a new one and have it programed or what?; 4) are there any other electrical or mechanical parts I need to buy to use during the swap?

I am going to turn 66 this year, am a 2003 Wounded Warrior from Iraqi and would truly appreciate all the assistance in information to get this right so it fires up perfectly from the first attempt.
@SpackS; Your profile looks perfect;

I can tell you most, if not all of the 5.7L parts will not be compatible with the 4.7L

I don't think any of the exhaust parts will fit - including from the cats back.

I'm not 100% sure if you can use the radiator from the 5.7L or not - but I'm thinking not.

The only thing from the 5.7L that I know you CAN use is the transmission, because both the 4.7L & 5.7L XK's use the same 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission.

You'll definitely need a new wiring harness & a new PCM/ECU.

But let me be clear here, I'm no mechanic - not even close. These are just a few things that I know are true, from experience on this forum.

There are other forum members here, that are FAR MORE mechanically inclined & knowledgeable than I am; Hopefully, one of them will chime in.

I'm a Navy Desert Storm Veteran myself & a current U.S. Merchant Marine; Thank you for your service. Based on you turning 66 this year, you being in Iraq at 49 years old is quite an accomplishment. I was in the Persian Gulf at a very young age - 21.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and thanks for your service as well. Yeah, Kuwait and Iraq were no picnic for any of us in the 30th Med Bde Clinical Services. Even though we were Command Suite folks, we had no easy time, not AC most of the time and hard stand was only a room for our desks when we had time to sit to do paperwork. I was sent out to be in-charge of convoys for taking medical folks in and around Baghdad, BIAP and Victory Camp. We took a round in the windshield of our HMMWV going to BIAP one fine morning and believed it to be a rock strike until we looked at it closely once back inside Victory Camp. Seemed I was always near incoming rounds. Was always seeing or hearing them hit around me. You just block it out and do what is required. Not so much fun back in the real world now. Fireworks are a nightmare.

·
Registered
141 Posts
SpackS you'll want to do a google search on 2007 Jeep XK Parts pdf and 2007 Jeep WK Parts pdf.
you should be able to find these pretty easily and then you can determine exactly what parts are required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SpackS you'll want to do a google search on 2007 Jeep XK Parts pdf and 2007 Jeep WK Parts pdf.
you should be able to find these pretty easily and then you can determine exactly what parts are required.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything I have read and been told except by you is that the 5.7 Hemi is the most problematic engine to date. Additionally, the 4.7 is a Jeep engine that takes a beating and comes back for more; the used and remanufactured 4.7 engines are far cheaper in price than the 5.7 and frequently last to 450,000 miles. The one in my Jeep Grand Cherokee has 260K on it and still purring like a kitten. So I am a cross roads whether if put a 5.7 back in it and have to replace it again down the road because of the pure crap MDS or just get rid of the problem by putting a 4.7 in it and relax, knowing I will have a good engine that will last like the Ever Ready Bunny. Unless you can point me to a low mileage 5.7 with a 2 year guarantee with shipping and core included well under a grand, I don't see sticking with the hemi a favorable option. Know of a place with a Hemi like that? I have also entertained just simply parting the Commander out and using the funds I get to purchase something like an Expedition with a 5.4. However, I love the Jeep Grand Cherokee series and will likely remain with the Commander. Sure wish I could just drop a Ford crate 5.0 in it and know I have a superior engine. I know hands full of Jeep owners who have done that and swear by it. Thanks for your input. It is definitely something to reflect on.

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Everything I have read and been told except by you is that the 5.7 Hemi is the most problematic engine to date. Additionally, the 4.7 is a Jeep engine that takes a beating and comes back for more; the used and remanufactured 4.7 engines are far cheaper in price than the 5.7 and frequently last to 450,000 miles. The one in my Jeep Grand Cherokee has 260K on it and still purring like a kitten. So I am a cross roads whether if put a 5.7 back in it and have to replace it again down the road because of the pure crap MDS or just get rid of the problem by putting a 4.7 in it and relax, knowing I will have a good engine that will last like the Ever Ready Bunny. Unless you can point me to a low mileage 5.7 with a 2 year guarantee with shipping and core included well under a grand, I don't see sticking with the hemi a favorable option. Know of a place with a Hemi like that? I have also entertained just simply parting the Commander out and using the funds I get to purchase something like an Expedition with a 5.4. However, I love the Jeep Grand Cherokee series and will likely remain with the Commander. Sure wish I could just drop a Ford crate 5.0 in it and know I have a superior engine. I know hands full of Jeep owners who have done that and swear by it. Thanks for your input. It is definitely something to reflect on.
Bigger is not always better;

The 5.7L Hemi's (particularly from 2006 through 2008) were somewhat problematic, particularly notorious for dropping valves, as well as over-heating problems; Problems that were quite prevalent until 2009, which is when those issues were addressed, with some design changes.

There's a guy here @Jeep4Life86 who upgraded from the 4.7L V-8 and put in a Jasper 5.7L Hemi (I don't know if it was a brand new block or a rebuilt one) and the engine only lasted him 2 1/2 years and he's now in the process of getting another engine.

4.7L's had some issues in 2006 & 2007 as well - and again, there were design changes (a year sooner than the Hemi) in 2008, that addressed those issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. There is one rebuild place that has addresses the short comings of those years on the 4.7 and offers a 5 year warranty on their rebuilds. The 4.7 in my 2003 Grand Cherokee really amazes me that is still running strong with no smoking, knocking, etc after 250,000 miles. It is the first vehicle I have kept and keep driving after that many miles. Had a International Scout II way back in the day; ran it dry on oil on purpose just to see if what I had been told was true. Didn't drive until it locked up, but 4 miles before putting oil back in. Never had any smoking, knocking or other issues down the road. That 254 cu in V8 was an amazing engine. I really want my Commander to run well again without foreseeable future issues with the engine. Electrical issues are to be expected. Thanks for your comments. Will later year engines still work in the 2007 models? I am being told on internet places that they will not. Just need concrete info before spending the money to get a decent engine. Another question is, can the MDS module be removed and the engine just run on all cylinders with no computer or mechanical issues?

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Agreed. There is one rebuild place that has addresses the short comings of those years on the 4.7 and offers a 5 year warranty on their rebuilds. The 4.7 in my 2003 Grand Cherokee really amazes me that is still running strong with no smoking, knocking, etc after 250,000 miles. It is the first vehicle I have kept and keep driving after that many miles. Had a International Scout II way back in the day; ran it dry on oil on purpose just to see if what I had been told was true. Didn't drive until it locked up, but 4 miles before putting oil back in. Never had any smoking, knocking or other issues down the road. That 254 cu in V8 was an amazing engine. I really want my Commander to run well again without foreseeable future issues with the engine. Electrical issues are to be expected. Thanks for your comments. Will later year engines still work in the 2007 models? I am being told on internet places that they will not. Just need concrete info before spending the money to get a decent engine. Another question is, can the MDS module be removed and the engine just run on all cylinders with no computer or mechanical issues?
Well there are no doubt some differences between your '03 4.7L which was a 254 cu in and the 4.7L in the Commander, which are 287 cu in.

All in all though, they are generally solid & reliable blocks. Mine has somewhat low mileage on it 103,800 and it still runs like a top. If I ever had to replace it I would opt for another 4.7L without question.

Do you have a link for that 4.7L rebuild place that you mentioned @SpackS?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are 6 Grand Cherokees in my neighborhood that have bad 4.7. Buddy across the street has one with a miss fire on six and has replaced everything to no avail. My 04 Grand made it 80K before losing both head gaskets. The reman has 60K on it and problems are arising. Our Commander has 175k on it without a problem on the Hemi. Our other Grand Cherokee with a Hemi had 200K on it when we got rid of it without any problems. Must be the high altitude that the 4.7 can not tolerate. Would not use a 4.7 for a boat anchor cause it would probably fail at that. Good luck with your swap. Hope all works out.

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
There are 6 Grand Cherokees in my neighborhood that have bad 4.7. Buddy across the street has one with a miss fire on six and has replaced everything to no avail. My 04 Grand made it 80K before losing both head gaskets. The reman has 60K on it and problems are arising. Our Commander has 175k on it without a problem on the Hemi. Our other Grand Cherokee with a Hemi had 200K on it when we got rid of it without any problems. Must be the high altitude that the 4.7 can not tolerate. Would not use a 4.7 for a boat anchor cause it would probably fail at that. Good luck with your swap. Hope all works out.
@JeepAddiction;

I know guys on this forum with XK's that have eclipsed 200,000 miles on their original 4.7L engines without a problem; I have almost 104,000 miles on my original 4.7L and have had zero problems.

It's a good, proven power-train. Could be the altitude in your neck of the woods - or it could have something to do with the way that the 4.7's you mentioned were driven and/or maintained, who knows.

Mine purrs like a kitten and has power & torque to spare - even with all the weight I've added to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bigger is not always better;

The 5.7L Hemi's (particularly from 2006 through 2008) were somewhat problematic, particularly notorious for dropping valves, as well as over-heating problems; Problems that were quite prevalent until 2009, which is when those issues were addressed, with some design changes.

There's a guy here @Jeep4Life86 who upgraded from the 4.7L V-8 and put in a Jasper 5.7L Hemi (I don't know if it was a brand new block or a rebuilt one) and the engine only lasted him 2 1/2 years and he's now in the process of getting another engine.

4.7L's had some issues in 2006 & 2007 as well - and again, there were design changes (a year sooner than the Hemi) in 2008, that addressed those issues.
Mine was originally a 5.7L. the heater core gave way at 112,000, which overheated the engine and in turn caused the valve seat to drop into cyl 6 (good bye block ;) ). so yes crappy design of if it gets hot its done, but i feel i couldve gotten a lot more out of it if the coolant didnt spew into my floorboard. the issue of the one that was just replaced was bad lifters and a very heavy foot. LOL

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Mine was originally a 5.7L. the heater core gave way at 112,000, which overheated the engine and in turn caused the valve seat to drop into cyl 6 (good bye block ;) ). so yes crappy design of if it gets hot its done, but i feel i couldve gotten a lot more out of it if the coolant didnt spew into my floorboard. the issue of the one that was just replaced was bad lifters and a very heavy foot. LOL
Thanks for the additional insight @Jeep4Life86.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi altitude 4.7 here. It's been across half the country as well. 175k. Now, I wouldn't pull a trailer with it in the mountains because it is an absolute dog, and converts gas into heat and noise really well without the unfortunate side effect of power. I'm convinced I have low compression somewhere, but I haven't tested it.

But let's be honest, NA engines just aren't cut out for altitude. She'll be replaced with a FI motor.

·
Administrator
6,446 Posts
Hi altitude 4.7 here. It's been across half the country as well. 175k. Now, I wouldn't pull a trailer with it in the mountains because it is an absolute dog, and converts gas into heat and noise really well without the unfortunate side effect of power. I'm convinced I have low compression somewhere, but I haven't tested it.

But let's be honest, NA engines just aren't cut out for altitude. She'll be replaced with a FI motor.
Ideally you'd want a 2008 or newer 4.7L with the redesigned intake. More power & torque.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts