Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 07 commander, v8 2wd that has been giving me idleling problems going on 1 year. I bought it brand new and it has around 70k miles now. The maintenance has always been up to date by a local jeep & chrysler dealership. The problem i now have is that when the car is on park (and sometimes while driving) it will start idleling high and low. Ive noticed that it seems to happen more when the a/c is on but it does it any form. Ive had the computer updated about 4 times and the ignition switch has been replaced 3 times. I was told by them that this would take care of the problem but it hasnt. Can anyone please help?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Have you checked for any DTC's stored in the system?

This dealership does NOT sound like it's too on the ball, but then again, that seems to be a running theme for the dealerships.

In another Chrysler vehicle I own, I have had the EGR cause a surging idle, and also NOT trip a DTC. When I disconnected the vacuum supply (and capped the open vacuum port to prevent a vacuum leak) the idle smoothed perfectly and back to what it was before.

You want to replace the EGR if its bad though, sure you can leave it disconnected, but its possible it can cause other engine problems if its disable. It often reduces mileage if it is disabled as well.

Ignition is another possibility, check your O.M. my 2010 says to replace the ignition cables at 60k miles. Has the dealer done that for your Commander? We've seen many posts where the dealers never follow the manufacturer recommendations for service and do all sorts of extra unnecessary servicing to run up the tab and then never bother to do some of the actual called for servicing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts