Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 07 Commander 2 weeks ago from now. Been in dealership 4 times to fix the problem with my oil light coming on during a cold start. They did oil change then said they changed an oil valve, then yesterday they said they changed an oil pressure switch.
Now this morning I jump in and the jeep won't turn over. I noticed the ETC light is on then disappears in a couple seconds. All lights, radio and horn works fine... it just won't turn over. When I try to turn over, it makes one "click" sound then total silence. Tried jumping it but it didn't work. Now I'm at the dealership waiting for someone to open up to tow it out of my driveway and give me loaner.
Any possible solutions to the problem I am encountering?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bad starter, or electrical connection at starter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
*Update*
Dealership called back and said all day, it's been starting up. I told them thats weird how the tow truck driver and I couldn't get it to start on my drive way.
I told the guy on the phone that I reverse- park on my driveway all the time and he said he'll try and do that and call me back. I get a call and he said it wont start up and now he has to get it towed back to the shop. Luckily they gave me a loaner car since I turned it in. It's having some incline issue where it wont start apparently.
Has anybody experienced this problem? Is this common with the Commander? Me and the wife loves our Jeep but do not want to be caught stranded one night.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Bad wiring harness, or just bad connection on the push on terminal on your starter. Went through this in 06, 4-5 times had 3 starters replaced finally they(dealer) replaced the wiring harness (yes I paid). No problems since. Search the history on this site, been a long time problem. If you can't find it search my earlier posts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well known problem on the XK. Went thru it all with my 07 for several months. Turns out it was bad connection (corrosion) on the slide-on connector on the starter.
A clever mechanic can change the connector otherwise you will have to replace the starter harness ($100). Make sure you tell the mechanic to coat the connector liberally with dielectric grease as it is exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also had this fault on my 07 Commander 3.7l V6 - I undid all the earth connections on the engine, starter and chassis once by one and after giving them a good clean and spray with WD-40 the fault went away. A bad earth was the problem - this was clearly stopping the starter circuit from working however having read about this 'first try' on the forums it was (thankfully) a cheap fix for me.

Hope this helps others...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts