Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a 2007 Commander with 132,482 miles and its the sport 4WD and i was wondering if they are reliable.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
what engine?

They are reliable with proper maintenance. Check that the full 100k mile service was completed. Suspension components are likely starting to wear at this point (just like any other vehicle with 100+ thousand miles), check shocks, bushings, end links...

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Im looking at a 2007 Commander with 132,482 miles and its the sport 4WD and i was wondering if they are reliable.
It depends alot on the maintenance that was done by the previous owner as well as what their driving habits were.

Was the vehicle beat on, or, was it babied?

Did they take it off-road regularly?

Did they do alot of heavy towing with it?

Are those 132,482 miles highway miles, or, was all that mileage accumulated through local stop & go driving?

These are all unknown variables that could effect the vehicles longevity.

There are also some key details you neglected to mention, like what engine/powertrain & 4WD system does it have?

That's pretty important.

The CARFAX vehicle history report should help you determine how well the vehicle was or wasn't maintained - but even that doesn't tell you the whole story.

The bottom line is anytime you buy a used vehicle, particularly one that is 9 years old with over 100,000 miles on it, there is a certain amount of risk involved and it's probably a pretty safe bet that shortly after you buy it and drive it for a bit, you will discover some things that need to be fixed.

As a general rule though, all of the Jeep Commander drive trains are proven to be fairly reliable, even with over 100,000 miles on them, when they are properly maintained.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess you are right, its not completely clear, in my head i guess i read it as if it has no additional badging on the truck such as Trail Rated.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
At 132,482 miles, the reliability of the vehicle will depend more on the previous owner than the original build quality of the vehicle.

In general the Commander is in the middle of the pack on reliability. Certainly not the best, nor the worst.

Even the best vehicle for reliability, if the previous owners had NOT done the proper maintenance and was abusive to the vehicle, it will NOT be reliable with that much abusive use and so little maintenance.

Which is pretty much what the previous posts are saying.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Even if it were low mileage it would be almost ten years old.

Get a look at the transmission fluid and look at places where you can see how gunked up the motor is. We got a commander the previous owner neglected oil changes for around 50k then got religious about maintenance for the last two years so it looked good on car fax .

Honestly it's down to price, save some room for repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts