Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I’m new to the commander and never owned a Jeep before. I was intrigued watching a YouTube video with QD2 and went on a mission to find a 3rd row wheeler from Jeep. Unfortunately, I’ve had a few hiccups that hopefully are normal or easily fixed. I tried my best to purchase a mall crawler to minimize the chance of buying a trail rig.

I’m new to the Hemi engine, sound, pattern, and passing power. My 5.6 Armada feels a lot more powerful, but I thought the higher tq of the hemi may be masking the difference ? Around 2-3k rpm it sounds funny while under a load. (No knocks or smoke) I had the differential and transfer case drained and fluids looked perfect. I notice every once in a while the transmission holds 4th gear a little longer than anticipated but it always upshifts to 5th smoothly during those times.(fluid looks good and doesn’t smell cooked) I took it on a 10 mile test drive with the air conditioning and radio off, but for some reason these symptoms didn’t exist. I also found a loading ramp to test the awd and everything engage without any noticeable issues.

Today while taking the whole family to the zoo it seemed to either bog/misfire for the first time and multiple lights came on the dash including service 4wd. I immediately cancelled cruise control and coasted for a few hundred ft and everything went back to normal. No dash lights, no warnings, and no bog.

Hopefully, the issue above are easily remedy so I can start modifying. 2” lift , rubicon wheels, jab upper arms, and 1.5 hub centric spacers are on the order list once I make sure I didn’t stumble upon a lemon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When buying a new rig, I always like to go through it and replace all of the consumable parts such as plugs, filters & oil change etc. The Hemi is very picky about oil viscosity, so make sure you're using the correct weight listed on the cap... should be 0w20 if memory serves me right.

I had some issues with some of the interior & even dash lights going wonky. I replaced the multi-function switch (the one that controls the turn signals, headlights, etc.) and everything seems to be working normally since then. The main reason I changed it though, was that the interior lights & dimmer were clearly not dimming or working as they should. Seems that quite a number of things are related to that switch, but thankfully it was only like a $60 fix and took literally 5 minutes to change.

May want to check to see if it's throwing any codes, sometimes people will clear them before they sell, and you won't find out til a week later. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When buying a new rig, I always like to go through it and replace all of the consumable parts such as plugs, filters & oil change etc. The Hemi is very picky about oil viscosity, so make sure you're using the correct weight listed on the cap... should be 0w20 if memory serves me right.

I had some issues with some of the interior & even dash lights going wonky. I replaced the multi-function switch (the one that controls the turn signals, headlights, etc.) and everything seems to be working normally since then. The main reason I changed it though, was that the interior lights & dimmer were clearly not dimming or working as they should. Seems that quite a number of things are related to that switch, but thankfully it was only like a $60 fix and took literally 5 minutes to change.

May want to check to see if it's throwing any codes, sometimes people will clear them before they sell, and you won't find out til a week later. Good luck!

The page reloaded before I was finished typing my short story. In short, I’m running the correct weight oil and it was changed before making the journey home. I haven’t changed the spark plugs, but it hasn’t displayed a foul plug like symptom 98 percent of the time. The engine light didn’t come on, just the abs, traction control , and service awd message. Then it quickly disappeared before I got the chance to pull over to look it over.

I’ve replaced all the fluid minus the transmission since I took ownership. I’m waiting on the oem filter as I was told the aftermarket trans filters are hit and miss for Chrysler products. I’d rather not take the chance to verify on my own.

I’d be thrilled if I only needed 16 spark plugs to cure my concern. I appreciate you taking the time to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Towmater;

PLEASE click on the link below and read it so you can properly complete your user profile
Luckily, I was able to do this from my phone instead of a desktop. I was getting a little worried their for a moment as I only use a desktop for work. :nerd:

·
Registered
86 Posts
The page reloaded before I was finished typing my short story. In short, I’m running the correct weight oil and it was changed before making the journey home. I haven’t changed the spark plugs, but it hasn’t displayed a foul plug like symptom 98 percent of the time. The engine light didn’t come on, just the abs, traction control , and service awd message. Then it quickly disappeared before I got the chance to pull over to look it over.

I’ve replaced all the fluid minus the transmission since I took ownership. I’m waiting on the oem filter as I was told the aftermarket trans filters are hit and miss for Chrysler products. I’d rather not take the chance to verify on my own.

I’d be thrilled if I only needed 16 spark plugs to cure my concern. I appreciate you taking the time to help!
Perhaps this could be related to the ignition switch. I know there was a recall related to that, so may want to make sure that was complied with, although I'm not sure that would cause your issue. Seems possible the ignition switch may be the culprit though, but that's just a guess. It's not as scary as it sounds, like a $25 part and from what I've read, not very difficult to replace... maybe a 30 minute job.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Perhaps this could be related to the ignition switch. I know there was a recall related to that, so may want to make sure that was complied with
You can check the status of all the recalls for your Commander here - just plug in your VIN;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

You can go the website URL below to get the factory build sheet; You can also order an owner's manuals from this same website if your vehicle didn't come with a factory owner's manual.

http://www-5.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link above and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Perhaps this could be related to the ignition switch. I know there was a recall related to that, so may want to make sure that was complied with, although I'm not sure that would cause your issue. Seems possible the ignition switch may be the culprit though, but that's just a guess. It's not as scary as it sounds, like a $25 part and from what I've read, not very difficult to replace... maybe a 30 minute job.
I have an open recall according to carfax, but I read on this very forum that people complained about service awd light appearing afterwards. I’d rather avoid that can of worms. I will look into replacing the ignition switch after I drive another Hemi and swap out the plugs. Majority of the Commanders I test drove had the 4.7l and my favorite one to date was the updated 4.7l in the 2008, but the deal fell through. I think majority of my concerns with the 5.7l is not having enough seat time behind the wheel mixed with that one issue I reported above.

I haven’t changed the spark plugs yet, but that’s next along with the rear differential/transmission drain and fill. I’ve serviced everything else including draining out the old coolant for new as most people I know never perform that service. A lot neglect to change their transmission fluid as well, but I've had good luck keeping the transmission fluid clean to date.

I know my Jeep has high miles, so I should prepare for small and major issues. I just need to determine if I should drive through these issues or fix them right away. The bang per buck value starts to decline the more money I throw towards the Commander. The slight stutter triggering the abs,traction control , and services 4wd light needs to be figured out ASAP when I have more time to trouble shoot. I’ve put an additional 200 miles since that first encounter with the random warning lights and thought it was going to happen today after a felt a slight studder, but I let out of the throttle quickly this time and it cleared up right away without lighting up the cluster full of warnings.

#1 goal is to get rid of any vehicle payment until my kids are adults, so I sold my brand new truck and plan to sell our car to put funds towards educational trips with the occasional Disney trip thrown in with our children as they're only young once. I probably should’ve bought a minivan, but I’d like to avoid an early midlife crises. Haha

Off Topic: I hate to invest in a balance job, but the people before me had the dealer to add weights on the outside of the wheel. Drives me insane anyone would do this in 2018, and I can’t imagine the damage on the wheel once the weight are removed.

Luckily, I was able to do this from my phone instead of a desktop. I was getting a little worried their for a moment as I only use a desktop for work. /forums/images/JeepCommander_2016/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
Very good, thank you & welcome to the forum.
Check for codes for sure. I had the same issue with lights and the codes indicated a wheel speed sensor.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have an open recall according to carfax

I know my Jeep has high miles

Off Topic: I hate to invest in a balance job, but the people before me had the dealer to add weights on the outside of the wheel. Drives me insane anyone would do this in 2018, and I can’t imagine the damage on the wheel once the weight are removed.
If you checked the link I sent you earlier, you can see what MOPAR has on record about your recalls - instead of CARFAX; I would say MOPAR's records are probably more accurate & detailed.

Your profile says your XK only has 160 miles on it - that's VERY LOW mileage.

I hear you about the balance job - and yeah, there will most definitely be damage if you have those weights removed and balance them on the inside as they should be, you can only hope for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Big Blue said:
If you checked the link I sent you earlier, you can see what MOPAR has on record about your recalls - instead of CARFAX; I would say MOPAR's records are probably more accurate & detailed.

I didn't have the vin number handy while viewing the link you provided. I saved a bunch of screen shots of the car fax report and scanned through it after someone mentioned the recall.

Your profile says your XK only has 160 miles on it - that's VERY LOW mileage.
160,000 miles and counting... I must've missed a few digits...

I hear you about the balance job - and yeah, there will most definitely be damage if you have those weights removed and balance them on the inside as they should be, you can only hope for the best.

I'm going to hold off for a few thousand of miles most likely, normally when it's out of sight it's out of mind. haha

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
160,000 miles and counting... I must've missed a few digits...

I'm going to hold off for a few thousand of miles most likely, normally when it's out of sight it's out of mind. haha
Yep, three zeros.....LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Recall # P41 (14V-438) Incomplete & issued in 2014
Recall # N23 Completed 2013
Recall # G40 Completed 2007
Campaign 973 Completed 2015

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m ruling out bad spark plugs because the problem occurred again and the engine light didn’t flash. However, the abs, traction control, and stability light flashed briefly and automatically turned off cruise control. Maybe related to the input and output transmission sensors ? The service 4wd message didn’t pop up, and thankfully still functions properly.

I set up an appointment to take care of the recall, and I’m going to order a programmer to disable the MDS function only.

Unfortunately, the Jeep started showing symptoms of an exhaust leak. I heard it could a bad gasket or broken studs. Hopefully, not a cracked manifold if the manifold is crack any downfalls by upgrading to the 2008 6.1 srt Jeep manifolds ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could be your alternator and battery starting to go. When mine went the battery light came on and then everything lit up like a Christmas Tree, a few lights at a time. Then it bogged and totally died. All happened within a few miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could be your alternator and battery starting to go. When mine went the battery light came on and then everything lit up like a Christmas Tree, a few lights at a time. Then it bogged and totally died. All happened within a few miles.
I don't have a bog symptom but it's good to check, so I went out and tested the battery it's good.

Thank you for the information!

Update:
I ordered 16 Champion Spark Plugs for $21.60
I found a deal on a Timken hub assembly for 111.79
I ordered a Mopar Speed Sensor to toss in the glove box as it seems like a common issue when driven offroad.

Luckily, my jeep finally threw a code! A C100A and C1011 basically stating I have a erratic signal from the speed sensor in my left front wheel. I'm not sure if it's a bad bearing or a sensor hence the reason why I ordered both. I plan to wheel this Jeep, so spare parts will not hurt within reason. I can't imagine a speed sensor creating the kind of symptoms I'm experiencing randomly, but I never had an AWD vehicle before.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have a bog symptom but it's good to check, so I went out and tested the battery it's good.

Thank you for the information!

Update:
I ordered 16 Champion Spark Plugs for $21.60
I found a deal on a Timken hub assembly for 111.79
I ordered a Mopar Speed Sensor to toss in the glove box as it seems like a common issue when driven offroad.

Luckily, my jeep finally threw a code! A C100A and C1011 basically stating I have a erratic signal from the speed sensor in my left front wheel. I'm not sure if it's a bad bearing or a sensor hence the reason why I ordered both. I plan to wheel this Jeep, so spare parts will not hurt within reason. I can't imagine a speed sensor creating the kind of symptoms I'm experiencing randomly, but I never had an AWD vehicle before.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
If the car sees the speed sensor is off compared to the other speed sensors it thinks you are sliding... It engages the brake assisted traction control or ABS depending on acceleration or braking. This should go away once you swap it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
If the car sees the speed sensor is off compared to the other speed sensors it thinks you are sliding... It engages the brake assisted traction control or ABS depending on acceleration or braking. This should go away once you swap it out.

This puts me at ease, you have no idea! I really loved the Commander until I found a terrible thread on lifters, valves, and camshafts failing for no reason on the Ram Forum regarding the 5.7l. When researching before purchasing I never came across that thread which is surprising considering it has hundreds of pages regarding the same issue on multiple year motors with and without MDS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts