Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
I inspected the hood open switch this morning. I didn't trace the line to fully inspect it. I did test it by pressing it in a few times to see the release of it and the tension. it seems to be sticky but still extends. I disconnected it to inspect it further. Not knowing how a new one releases, whether it's slow to release or quick I can only say this one seems sticky. Anyhow that is all the testing I did this morning. I will continue to do more throughout the day.
That's great, keep me posted Jerry; I'll be checking periodically throughout the day to see what you uncover - and if I can help with anything.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just from my experience with my 2010. When I got my commander (used) it had one key, remote start worked. when I've been working under the hood and forget to take the keys out of my pocket, I have a couple of times inadvertently activated the remote start. Lights flash, doors lock, a few relays click, but luckily for me the hood open switch works and the jeep does not start. My hood open switch is on the drivers side inner fender just rear of the battery.
Sounds like there was a fair amount of work under your hood, it may be as simple as the switch became unplugged during the engine swap.
I just tested the hood switch today and it's working. I also replaced the battery for the FOB. I'm still looking for our OBD2 cable. It's somewhere in all the tools or stashed out somewhere.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So, it seems possible that a DTC on your jeep would inhibit the remote start. I was doing some work under the hood last night, trying to chase down a noise when the commander is started. Anyway, I had the air filter tube/resonator off and the intake air temp sensor disconnected. With the hood closed I remote started, it ran for about 30 seconds, then shut off and would not re-remote start. Reassembled the the the air filter, still no remote start. I had to go get my laptop, clear the DTC from the disconnected temp sensor, then it remote started just fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, it seems possible that a DTC on your jeep would inhibit the remote start. I was doing some work under the hood last night, trying to chase down a noise when the commander is started. Anyway, I had the air filter tube/resonator off and the intake air temp sensor disconnected. With the hood closed I remote started, it ran for about 30 seconds, then shut off and would not re-remote start. Reassembled the the the air filter, still no remote start. I had to go get my laptop, clear the DTC from the disconnected temp sensor, then it remote started just fine.
I ran the DTC codes using the key dance method. Everything is clear. I'm currently waiting on the cable and will be using the software to connect it up and check it out more. So far everything is coming back good but no remote start.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
I ran the DTC codes using the key dance method. Everything is clear. I'm currently waiting on the cable and will be using the software to connect it up and check it out more. So far everything is coming back good but no remote start.
Based on what @Up4XK said - and contrary to what I thought, it sounds like it might be a stored code that could be causing your issue; A stored code won't show up when you do the key dance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Based on what @Up4XK said - and contrary to what I thought, it sounds like it might be a stored code that could be causing your issue; A stored code won't show up when you do the key dance.
Agreed, which is why I will wait patiently until the usb cable arrives and I can run the software. Until then I have other things to do on it. I get the lights replaced in the climate control module without having to buy a new one. The next set of lights to replace is in the other two information panel pieces.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Here it is without the lights on. Pretty good fix for only a few bucks.
Very nice; I did mine this past May and posted a pretty detailed how-to in the Regular Service/Maintenance sub-forum; I think it cost me about $7.00 for the 3 replacement bulbs that I had to order from Radio Shack; I only had one bulb that was burnt out, but, since I was going through the hassle of taking it all apart, I figured I'd replace all 3 bulbs while I was in there.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/23-regular-service-maintenance/74485-c-vent-defrost-climate-control-knobs-dash-light-bulb-replacement.html

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Other then a physical mechanical error the only thing I am seeing that it could be stopping the remote start is the park assist error. That plus the Hvac error that is popping up. There are two DTC codes the park assist and the Hvac. I will change out to the older hvac unit that the lights were not repaired on and see if it's still sending out codes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Anyone know where to get the hood closed sensor? I did have a code for that but now I forget where in the software I saw it. It stated it had low voltage.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Anyone know where to get the hood closed sensor? I did have a code for that but now I forget where in the software I saw it. It stated it had low voltage.
That could definitely be the culprit....let me see if I can find it somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I believe this is it;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-18-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Remote-Under-Hood-Safety-Switch-Factory-Mopar-New-Oem/332794283375?epid=1141208548&hash=item4d7c15c56f:g:LscAAOSw1H9bj~Av&vxp=mtr

Also, just out of curiosity, have you checked your main battery to make sure it's putting out the right amount of voltage? 14.2 V I believe is the right number.....
Whle I myself have not checked the battery my brother has assured me that it's putting out the right voltage

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So if the latch doesn't fix the problem then I'm almost back to square one. I figure I'll have to locate the control unit and test it and then trace the wires and inspect them for damage. I still have the park assist issue. Due to having to replace the rear bumper cover and repairing the module clips we don't think it's the sensors but the main park assist control module that is the fault. I have no dash lights showing an error. I have no lights on the rear inside and there is no sound when in reverse and close to anything. Thankfully my driving is pretty decent and I don't need the park assist. I'm only focusing on it because it is an error in the system and I'm hoping it will help cure the remote start not working. This weekend I will work on it some more when I have a day off from work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well the hood latch didn't fix my problem with my factory remote start. I'll do more research to locate where the control module is and check that out.
I've replaced:
Hood latch switch
No DTC codes stored or active
Battery is up to charge
Tank is full with fuel.
Doors locked
In park
New battery in FOB
I have checked and double checked all the common things that stop it from working.
I'm waiting until the last minute to go to the dealership to check the programming on the only key I have. I'm waiting because the dealership charges you for everything. I think sometimes they charge you for the air you breath in their lobby. lol

Can anyone think of anything that I might be missing.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
Well the hood latch didn't fix my problem with my factory remote start. I'll do more research to locate where the control module is and check that out.
I've replaced:
Hood latch switch
No DTC codes stored or active
Battery is up to charge
Tank is full with fuel.
Doors locked
In park
New battery in FOB
I have checked and double checked all the common things that stop it from working.
I'm waiting until the last minute to go to the dealership to check the programming on the only key I have. I'm waiting because the dealership charges you for everything. I think sometimes they charge you for the air you breath in their lobby. lol

Can anyone think of anything that I might be missing.
Thank you
Have you checked all the fuses in the junction block?

In particular the fuse for the Module-Sentry Key Remote Entry?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts