Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yea, right. 6.1 liter engine and 20.7 gallon gas tank... It will last you about 150 miles on a stretch. With 4.7 all I can do in the city is 200 miles. It sucks. The undersized gas tank is a major flaw on this car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You know why DC did that don't you? You will have pleanty of reasons to stop and show off your ride..........................at the gas station:D I love it when I go to the gas station now, everyone just a lookin & staring:cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I attended the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer meeting in Vegas back in November and had the opportunity to ask some of the top DC Execs if there were plans to release an SRT8 Commander. None of them seemed to think that was going to be a concideration anytime soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jangy said:
Actually, I've seen press releases on the SRT-8 commander as an '07 model.
All I am saying is don't hold your breath! Remember the press releases for the Chrysler ME Four-Twelve... I know, I know, it was a million dollar sports car...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I am all for the SRT-8 idea but I am not sure that a box-on-wheels (though a very nice box, it is) is ideal for the SRT treatment.

I would much rather see an upscale version of the Commander to offer HID/LED lighting, adjustable air suspension, factory-standard rock rails, a traction system that combined ELSDs with lockers, and the Bluetec 3.0L engine.

This could wear the Overland trim badge, but please leave off the mirror caps that they put on the Grand Cherokee Overland (they look good on the MB E-Class but not so much on the WK).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am extremely frustrated. This car completely failed my expectation because of the grossly undersized gas tank. On any car or SUV you buy, you should expect to go 400 miles on a tank of gas on highway and at least 300 in the city. If the car gets 10 mph, the designer must put 40 gallon tank to meet the expected range. This thing runs out of gas in 200 miles and now we have all these people talking about 6.5 engine? This makes me laugh. I feel cheated and violated. Next 5 years will be a lot of stops for gas. It is disgusting.:mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mikey,
Jeeps have traditionally had smaller gas tanks (note the signature jerry cans on the sides of older Jeeps). Our Ford Mustang had the same size tank (20 gallon)... in the city it's not that big of deal.

But don't let that spoil the vehicle for you. We're looking into using a used GC gas tank and putting in where the spare tire hole is, and putting the spare tire on a rack on the tailgate or now thinking possibly the roof. May be awhile until we get to it due to other priorities, but I'll keep you appraised of our progress. We added 2 gas tanks to our old Jeep truck which have us a 100+ gallons. It's a fairly easy change with great benefit over a long period.

Have it done or pursue it yourself... be the first!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.