Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a key online since my Commander only came with one key.
Had the dealership cut and program it ($50)

They told me that it would start the jeep but none of the buttons work. I tested it and found that to be true.

Question #1 - Any chance they did not do something right?

Question #2 - Since it will start the Jeep would I be able to self program a 3rd key?

Thanks, Steve
Sacramento, CA

·
Registered
309 Posts
Possibly check the battery in the FOB.

A key can be cut and still work, the RFID chip inside is what gets matched to the vehicle for starting purposes.

I bought a key from Extrapartss (eBay spelled correctly)and I had to change the battery before the buttons worked.

Dave

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, you will have a good second key for conducting the self program if it starts the vehicle.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
How long did it take for the dealer to program? I have a key ordered by the dealer I bought the XK from and they are paying for it to be programmed by Jeep dealer....just wanted to get an estimated time on how long it took them lol.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
How long did it take for the dealer to program? I have a key ordered by the dealer I bought the XK from and they are paying for it to be programmed by Jeep dealer....just wanted to get an estimated time on how long it took them lol.
If you have 2 already you can do it yourself IIRC. Except the 2010's so I'm hosed.

I think it only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Once you program a key for starting the car, there is a second program you need to do to make the fob work the doors and stuff.

I will cut and paste the instructions I received with my new fob.
It involves closing all doors, locked with windows up then open just the driver door to program the security (door unlock/lock buttons) which enables the rear window popper and autostart (if installed)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the battery is good but I found one possible problem...
My numbers on the back are a little worn but I was able to match the FCC & part number but after checking it again my IC number is "3521A-T04B" & the new one I bought is "5461A-692427AA"

The cutting & programming of the new key was quick at the dealer once they got to it. 40min of waiting & 10min of work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts