Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am upgrading my commander, just thought i would post it on the forum and see what every one thought.

Started with the interior, I went from grey cloth to katskin leather, and then I upgraded all of the speakers from the factory boston to kicker, and the head unit I changed to a 7 inch touch screen and installed a carputer running centra fuse. I am a computer geek so this makes sense. Pics are below I am still working on getting the dash finished from where i had to modify for the touch screen. Next I think I am going with a lift kit, and maybe try to solve the on air supply thread. Well i thought I had pics of the car pc, I will post them when I get home this afternoon.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the katzkin kit run you?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the katzkin kit run you?
And what color combination is it? I like the look, including the Jeep logo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kit was right at 2000 including install. I can remember the exact color codes, but they are a slate gray and Light Charcoal black, with the upgraded jeep logo. Glad everyone likes them. I will post some more pics of the Jeep and the interior tomorrow from the car show we are having. Posted in the meet and greet section really would like to see some of the other commaders out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What is this Carputer thing you speak of?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Carputer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carputer is the predominant term used to describe a category of mobile computer designed or modified to specifically be installed and run in automobiles. Originally these were based on industrial personal computer technology, but as smartphones and PDAs have become more powerful, and have included useful technologies like GPS and Bluetooth, they have become the predominant base platform for developing carputers.

Many do-it-your-selfers have built carputers from laptops and small form factor computers like netbooks.

The recent popularity of carputers has caused the creation of more advanced units that use touch screen interfaces, integrate with vehicles via OBD-II link, and offer a variety of other add-ons like rear-view cameras and GPS. It is now possible to find assembled carputers complete with wireless capabilities and built-in microphones for sale on the internet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The above wiki answer is correct. I built mine from scratch not using a laptop. I used a mini atx and an intel motherboard. It has a 600 gig laptop hard drive, built in wifi, hd video, and 4 gigs of ram, gps, and hd radio. The front end software is centrafuse. I have posted a pic of it above. The screen is a 7 inch touch screen. The cool thing about having a carputer other than having a computer in your car is that centrafuse has an obdII application that will allow you to monitor air/fuel mixture and other things. Really worth the investment. I am a network admin so building and wiring my own was rather simple. One last thing the power these pc's have to have a certain power supply that converts the power, and also allows the pc to go to sleep when you turn the key off, and wake up when you turn the key on. Really cool. I have had mine in the jeep for about 2 years. Let me know if you would like more info on building your own

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
What is the ballpark price for building a carputer?

·
Registered
284 Posts
That sounds freaking awesome! Can you plug other laptops or devices in to also utilize the wifi. On a day to day basis, what is the most utilized part of this system. It sounds really cool so sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What is the ballpark price for building a carputer?
Also interested! What are the capacities for inputs and outputs? I know absolutely nothing about computers, but I feel like this could have uncapped potential since you could always build in more brains, right? What if I wanted to mount a camera at every wheelwell and feed into a 4way split screen to see each wheel in motion? How about retro-fitting extra LCD screens (in addition to the one in the console) in the dash to act as spedo, tach, gauges, etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First the price just depends on how robust you want your pc to be. The one I built with screens and all was right around 1,000. But you can build one for a cheap as 300 bucks plus the screen. As far as plugging in other pc's for wifi, you can share your wifi connection if you use a wireless dongle from clear or AT&T or any of the other major mobile companies by creating an adhoc basically turning the pc into a wireless hot spot, you can also use your smart phone for teathering to the pc is you do not want to spend an extra 50 a month this is what i do and it works perfectly. The most utilized part of my system is centrafuse, that is the program that runs everything, radio, gps, email, web, backup cam, music, video, odbII plus others. My pc has 8 usb ports, a 600 gig hard drive, audio, mic, and line in all of these are verrrry useful if you plan to run bluetooth, and hd radio. The camera idea would work so long as your pc has enough usb ports. The guys at centrafuse and some of the users are always coming up with new addon’s. As for adding more screens this again depends on your usb ports, most of the new screens run off of usb for everything video and touch, but they also have an aux input for like an xbox of something (my next addon). The prices really depend on what you want in the pc, and your budget of course. I will be more than happy to price a pc for any of you that would like one. The pc will come fully built and ready for you to install. I will post a video of centrafuse in action shortly. Thanks for all the interest and let me know if I missed anything or if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
youtube has some cool videos of centrafuse for some reason it will not let me post the links. Just google centrafuse and you should see them

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts