Jeep Commander Forum banner

2008 3.7 cooling fan not working

23K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  rblapham 
#1 ·
Cooling fan only works when I pull the 50 amp fuse and put it back in. Then the fan does not shut off till I turn the jeep off. It ove heated the other day because fan did not turn on. The relays, (the two in the fuse box under the hood) tested ok. I replaced the coolant sensor and the fan motor. I found another relay of some kind or a sensor under the battery box mounted on a brace when I pulled the bad radiator. Is this a fan relay also. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Am I able to eliminate the fuse for the electric fan and go back to a clutch fan? I am still having a electrical problem that no one can locate so the electric fan turns on. The only thing that I can think of happening would be the check engine light would come on. Or is there a link in there somewhere where the computer would notice fan not working and tell the engine to do something crazy.

#3 ·
That part in the picture is a air bag sensor.

Almost sounds like a bad relay. I’d have to look up the diagnostics in the service manual to see how to trouble shoot it.
I do know the KJ guys add and delete the mechanical fans so it might be possible if the shroud lines up correctly. Not sure if it’ll work right on a XK.

Isn’t there a resistor (or something like that ) on the fan shroud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 · (Edited)
Looks like the 4.7 has fan blades, might have all the parts to convert the 3.7. But I know the PCM controls a lot of the fan speed on the 3.7 don’t know if it would notice if it’s there or not.

So far the FSM is vague on testing the 3.7 electrical fan, there’s a lot about hydraulic fans which looks very different from my 3.7

Edit: all the FSM has is check 15 amp fuse junction block, 40 amp fuse in power distribution, if Test ok then go to relays.
There might something buried in the manual but I’ve not found it yet.
I know my radiator fan shroud has some kind of resistor in the wiring, not sure what the symptoms would be if that fails

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
my fan on on '06, with the 3.7, has stopped working too... where is the 15amp fuse and 40 amp fuse?? on the fuse panel diagrams I can't find anything that relates to the fan??? The only thing I've found is the hi and lo rad fan relays

is there a trick for removing the small "block" fuses?? they seem really "locked" in tighter than the usual blade fuse

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I bought a new fan and shroud. It comes with a new resistor. I went to a local junk yard and there is a newer jeep liberty with a fan clutch style on it. I couldn't get it off the vehicle. I needed a bigger wrench. I think I'll go back and get it and try it. The water pump on my 3.7 is threaded for a mechanical fan. I replaced radiator yesterday with a new one. Haven't tried starting it yet to see what happens.

#6 ·
The water pump is the same for the 3.7 & 4.7 engine.
Be careful to get all the air out of the cooling system. It likes to be a PITA if it can.

Still seems like could be a bad relay, but I understand wanting a more solid cooling fan.
The factory manual was disappointing, maybe later years have a better instructions for testing the electric fan.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Thanks for letting me know what that relay or sensor was. I left it in place. I did replace the radiator and added a mechanical fan clutch off a 3.7 jeep liberty that was in the junk yard. It was the only one with a mechanical fan out of 8 Libertys. So far after 60 miles, no overheating. The guage is in between 1/4 and 1/2. Doesn't seem to be leaking any fluid. The engine light has never came on. So maybe this thing is fixed. Will let you know.

#10 ·
You may want to become familiar with your junction block;

#11 ·
Hey I have 2007 jeep commander 3.7 I had to change out the radiator because I was having a coolant leak not even sure if the fan was functioning before but I feel like it’s not now so after driving for a minute just so happen to pop the hood to notice the fan wasn’t on but engine was hot enough that it should have been on. I turned the truck off and unplugged the fan motor than cut the truck back on and plugged up the fan motor and it turned on but minute later it cut off. What kind of issue, if any, is this? Feel like that’s not normal but understand that the fan cuts on and off to chill the engine so just not sure if it’s a problem or not, please help.

#12 ·
Cooling fan only works when I pull the 50 amp fuse and put it back in. Then the fan does not shut off till I turn the jeep off. It ove heated the other day because fan did not turn on. The relays, (the two in the fuse box under the hood) tested ok. I replaced the coolant sensor and the fan motor. I found another relay of some kind or a sensor under the battery box mounted on a brace when I pulled the bad radiator. Is this a fan relay also. Any help appreciated.
Did you find a solution I'm having the same issue

#13 ·
@rien.epiphany
Welcome to the forum.

ATTENTION All Forum Members - Mandatory Requirement!
Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

To make or modify a Signature click here for instructions - Signature - How to make or modify

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.