Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was picking up my boat and left the car idling while hooking up the trailer hitch. I got in the drivers seat and saw a check gauges message on the dash. I was in a hurry and cleared the message and started driving. I was in TOW mode and manually shifting keeping RPMs around 2000. I was on surface roads so never really got above 30 miles an hour.

"Check gauges" light comes back on. I looked and my temp gauge is past red all the way to the right. I was in a good location to pull over. The car was running fine no plume of antifreeze smoke form exhaust nothing leaking any where. I open the hood and the coolant level tank is bubbling and the fluid is black. Water pump is not leaking. I wait 15 minutes and arrange for AAA and Boat US tows for car and boat respectively then open coolant tank. There is oil in the coolant reservoir.

So what does the Commander brain trust think? I only have 149,000 miles on this vehicle. Head gasket failure would have antifreeze in the cylinders, rough running smell etc so I am thinking no. Cracked block? Could be. Oil cooler failure somehow dumping coolant into oil pan and oil into coolant system? What do you think. Car is at a shop that I have used once in that past as we our on vacation so tomorrow, Monday, should be interesting.

Shout out to AAA and Boat US Tow services. Both tows cost nothing. Cheap insurance for this kind of situation.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
@jeep82 You have been around a lokg time but lately we require some updates from you. Especially having the details of your Commander so we can better help you

Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

! Important Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To make or modify a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Reactions: jeep82

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
A blown head gasket will not always be leaking at the water jacket - anti freeze, it could blow from an exhaust port to the coolant or many other places. But yes it can cause overheating and oil in coolant. Not knowing what engine you have makes it difficult to help also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A blown head gasket will not always be leaking at the water jacket - anti freeze, it could blow from an exhaust port to the coolant or many other places. But yes it can cause overheating and oil in coolant. Not knowing what engine you have makes it difficult to help also.
Thank you. The engine is a 4.7L V-8. The Mercedes engine with spark plugs located at the intake and exhaust ports for a total of 16.

Reactions: rblapham

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
there are several areas where the water and oil jackets are next to each other. sounds to me like a head gasket. do you have a borescope to peek in the cylinders? i am betting one of them is really clean (steam cleaned)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are several areas where the water and oil jackets are next to each other. sounds to me like a head gasket. do you have a borescope to peek in the cylinders? i am betting one of them is really clean (steam cleaned)
Thank you, the car is at a local mechanic. The more I think about it even though the engine was running fine and I had no oil or antifreeze in the exhaust I am think its a head gasket. They will try to look at it today and let me know what is up tomorrow or Wednesday. I do not not have a borescope but have been meaning to add one to my tool collection as they are relatively inexpensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts