Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil for the first time today. Picked up a Mopar oil filter @ Walmart with my mobil1 oil. I looked up the part number in the book that they had and made sure (double checked that the number was correct).

I drained the oil, and removed the factory installed filter. I grabbed my new filter and spent 5 minutes trying to thread the thing on. The reason I kept trying is the weird angle that the filter engages the orifice.

Finally I looked at the threaded orifice size and compared with the oe filter from the factory. Totally different! The one I purchased from walmart was too small.

I drove to autozone (9:00pm, thank god they are open till 10:00pm) and spent 20 minutes cross referencing every filter with every 5.7l Chrysler vehicle. All of them (even though the computer spits out the part number for those filters for a 2008 Commander) were the incorrect size.

Long story short, someone forgot to send out the memo that the 2008 5.7l hemi uses a different thread size. These stores and companies that make the filters assumed that there were no changes between the 2007 5.7 and 2008 5.7.

Now I have my Jeep up on ramps until tomorrow morning, when I can get to a Jeep stealer and get the correct oil filter. I will never buy a filter from another place, but a Jeep stealership from now on.

I found a website that explains the problem:

*Note: 2008 models of the 4.7, 5.7 and 6.1L engines use oil filters with a new thread size (22mm). The previous oil filter (p/n 5281090, thread size 3/4-inch - 16 UNF) will not fit on these 2008 engines.
Here is a link to the page. It shows the oil capacities and oil filter info for all engine sizes:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_oil_change.htm

***mods - please make this a sticky if you think it will help others.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to the stealer this morning and got the correct filter. They were baffled that Jeep changed the thread size and are expecting a lot of people to have the same issue I had.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sciron4x4 said:
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably going to be changing mine within the month. So you just saved me a few steps. :)
No problem, it was a major pain in the ass. I will be happy if I can save at least 1 person from having to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
All thing considered I guess the lifetime oil change was a wise choice as long as you can afford to wait a hour:(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
08XKLimited said:
which is the correct part number for the filter?
04884899AB

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Oil/Filters - oil filter M1-210
K&N - HP-2010
In a pinch - Fram Tough Guard - TG2

Hope this helps -

Rich

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
All thing considered I guess the lifetime oil change was a wise choice as long as you can afford to wait a hour:(
That's my problem ... I never have time durring business hours ... I end up chaning my oil at midnight, lieing in the snow, with a coleman lantern for light, half the time :)

I just hate to let oil change intervals expire, so when I have time that's when it gets done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looking for some help here. I have a 2007 5.7 and the filter I purchased is about as tall as it is round. Looked under the Jeep last night it appears to have a filter for 3.7; its definitely longer than it is tall.

From researching threads, looks like there was a thread size change but not a filter size change between the engine families. Parts house and aftermarket filter research confirms this.

Question: Are the filters between the 3.7 and 5.7 interchangeable? This is the one I purchased: https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/mopar-oil-filter/546653_0_0

This is the one that appears to be installed: https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/mopar-oil-filter/546657_0_0

Thanks for any insight...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looking for some help here. I have a 2007 5.7 and the filter I purchased is about as tall as it is round. Looked under the Jeep last night it appears to have a filter for 3.7; its definitely longer than it is tall.

From researching threads, looks like there was a thread size change but not a filter size change between the engine families. Parts house and aftermarket filter research confirms this.

Question: Are the filters between the 3.7 and 5.7 interchangeable? This is the one I purchased: https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/mopar-oil-filter/546653_0_0

This is the one that appears to be installed: https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/mopar-oil-filter/546657_0_0

Thanks for any insight...
I'm just going off the links you provided and intuition, but there's no way the 3.7 filter you linked will fit a Hemi. The Hemis run a very large filter, almost 4" wide, while the 3.7 filter you linked is closer to 3" wide. It wouldn't seal.

It is possible to have a taller filter in place, and it might offer more filtration. I can't tell you what the part number would be for a taller filter. However, you'll be perfectly safe running the OEM filter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm just going off the links you provided and intuition, but there's no way the 3.7 filter you linked will fit a Hemi. The Hemis run a very large filter, almost 4" wide, while the 3.7 filter you linked is closer to 3" wide. It wouldn't seal.

It is possible to have a taller filter in place, and it might offer more filtration. I can't tell you what the part number would be for a taller filter. However, you'll be perfectly safe running the OEM filter.
well here it is. i changed the oil today. replaced the white one with a correct mopar one. reverse lookup indicates the filter is indeed for 3.7L. Oh, well, hopefully no damage was done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
The fast oil change places use cheap universal filters that are small like that. All they need is same threads and gasket dimension. They fit but do not filter as good. On my 2006 Hemi I use one of the following, like the NAPA Gold the most - NAPA Gold 1085, PF13, PH16, NG 1085, MO 090

1 - 20 of 21 Posts