Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 sounds like can of rocks from front end

2008 3.7 front end sounds like a can of rocks in forward. thought it was left side hub and bearings so I replaced them. Still the same noise and with some one driving vehicle in drive , I walk next to vehicle on either side and it sounds bad on both sides. Could it be the cv axles crunching. Has anyone had the front pumkin go out. I hate to jack up the vehicle all the way with the 4 wheels off the ground and put it in drive and lay underneath to check for noise. I might have to do it. Would rather get some info here before I do that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking to purchase a used front differential. How can I tell if my 2008 3.7 Commander has electronic limited slip or are they all without electronic limited slip. How do I tell which I have. My front end is trashed. Have to replace. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Somewhere between a 95 and 100% chance you do not have limited slip front. Only QD2 has it. Do you have a T handle on the center console to engage low range 4wd and does it say QD2? If not, you don't have it.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
I am looking to purchase a used front differential. How can I tell if my 2008 3.7 Commander has electronic limited slip or are they all without electronic limited slip. How do I tell which I have. My front end is trashed. Have to replace. Thanks
I can tell you straight away, You do not have an ELSD differentials - that option only came with Quadra-Drive II equipped Commanders and QD-II was not even an option for the 3.7L V6.

So the easy answer is if you know what 4WD system you have, you know if you have ELSD's or not.

However, if you don't want to take my word for it, a quick & easy way to tell if you want to be 100% certain is to look at your REAR differential cover - 10 bolts around the edge is QT-I or QT-II - which means your differentials are NOT ELSD equipped.

12 bolts around the outer edge of the rear differential cover is QD-II which is equipped with ELSD's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Somewhere between a 95 and 100% chance you do not have limited slip front. Only QD2 has it. Do you have a T handle on the center console to engage low range 4wd and does it say QD2? If not, you don't have it.
Well I found out I do not have electronic limited slip. Called a recycle auto yard and gave them the serial number. They said the 3.7 has a 3.07 gear ratio . I have picked up a diff/carrier assy. and will put it in this weekend. Will let you know what I find. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Well I found out I do not have electronic limited slip. Called a recycle auto yard and gave them the serial number. They said the 3.7 has a 3.07 gear ratio . I have picked up a diff/carrier assy. and will put it in this weekend. Will let you know what I find. Thanks for the replies.
I basically told you that flat out yesterday, in my previous post:

Big Blue said:
I can tell you straight away, You do not have an ELSD differentials - that option only came with Quadra-Drive II equipped Commanders and QD-II was not even an option for the 3.7L V6.

So the easy answer is if you know what 4WD system you have, you know if you have ELSD's or not.

However, if you don't want to take my word for it, a quick & easy way to tell if you want to be 100% certain is to look at your REAR differential cover - 10 bolts around the edge is QT-I or QT-II - which means your differentials are NOT ELSD equipped.

12 bolts around the outer edge of the rear differential cover is QD-II which is equipped with ELSD's.
But hey, good on you for looking into it yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2008 3.7 front driveshaft noise

In forward an awfull noise seems to be coming from the center of the jeep. 2008 3.7 Commander. 200,000 miles. Has anyone had to change the front driveshaft. Full time all wheel drive. Do I have to drop the front diff. (carrier). Is there a u joint inside the outer shell of the driveshaft which is making the noise. It is a crunching cracking noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise was the front drive shaft. The rear side of the shaft is rusted out. Looks like it is not able to be rebuilt. Will look for another. NV140 transfer case. Hard to find used driveshaft that is any good.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
The noise was the front drive shaft. The rear side of the shaft is rusted out. Looks like it is not able to be rebuilt. Will look for another. NV140 transfer case. Hard to find used driveshaft that is any good.
This should be relatively easy to find in any Salvage yard.

Bare in mind QT-I Grand Cherokees of the same model years use the same drive shaft as Commanders, I would not think this would be hard to find at all as there are plenty of doner vehicles around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a bushing above the front diff case that is known to go bad. I just changed mine. It was pretty bad. Helped with some of the noises I was having, mostly hard, clunky shifting. I also have some 'whoop whoops' coming from the front left. Tires seem fine. Wondering if it is my axle.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
no if you truly have QT1 drivetrain and 10bolt rear. If you have 12bolt rear then, yes, need additive.

synthetic is debatable. how often do you plan to change it? if you offroad a lot treading water, then change often and go with cheaper non-synthetic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
no if you truly have QT1 drivetrain and 10bolt rear. If you have 12bolt rear then, yes, need additive.

synthetic is debatable. how often do you plan to change it? if you offroad a lot treading water, then change often and go with cheaper non-synthetic.

I’ve got the QDII.

I don’t plan on changing for another 30k or so I reckon and I don’t really do much off road. It’s done 110,000 as it is, not that I can be sure it hasn’t been changed before I bought it at about 80k.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Yes use 4 OZ Mopar slip additive per axle. Genuine Mopar Fluid 4318060AC Limited Slip Additive - 4 oz. Bottle. Available at dealer or on Amazon & elsewhere. Even if the gear oil bottle states limited slip you still need the additive in a QDII.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had to replace my front drive shaft about 2 yrs ago. Dealer price was about$ 700. I bought one from TASCA Ford for just over $400.You don't need to drop the pumpkin to change the shaft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts