71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Enlargement:
http://www.xkjeeps.com/2008/2008_Commander_001.jpg

INTERIOR

• Redesigned instrument panel
• Two-row, five-passenger seating option—standard on Sport R package
• iPod interface – optional on Sport, standard on Limited
• MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System with navigation—optional on Sport, Limited and standard on Overland
• SIRIUS Backseat TV—optional on Limited and Overland
• Tilt and telescoping steering column with integrated Electronic Vehicle Information Center controls on steering wheel
• Eight-inch DVD screen with rear video entertainment system—optional on Sport, Limited and Overland
• 115V power inverter

POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS

• 4.7-liter V-8 Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV) (not available in Maine, N.Y., Vt., Mass., Calif.)

SAFETY AND SECURITY

• Hill Descent Control System—optional on Sport, standard on Limited and Overland (4x4)
• Hill Start Assist—optional on Sport, standard on Limited and Overland (4x4)
• ParkView Rear Back-up Camera—available without navigation system–optional on Sport, standard on Limited and Overland
• Trailer Sway Control System—optional on Sport, Limited and Overland

Packages

• Quadra-Drive II 4x4 Group: (available on 4.7 and 5.7 only) Quadra-Drive II, skid plates, tow hooks
• Sun & Sound Group: Power sun roof w/ CommandView™, AM/FM/six-CD
• Premium Audio Group: Boston Acoustics w/ six speakers, SIRIUS Satellite Radio
• Trailer Tow Group: Class II receiver, four-pin wiring harness
• Trailer Tow Group: Class IV receiver, seven- and four-pin wiring harness, heavy duty engine cooling (4.7L only), trailer sway damping
• Rear Backup Camera Group: CD/DVD audio, 6.5” screen, touch screen, USB port, music management database, hard drive, backup camera, ParkSense
• Popular Equipment Group: Heated seats, remote start, adjustable pedals, 115V power outlet
• Rear DVD Entertainment System Group: DVD rear entertainment System, eight-inch screen
• Rear Backup Camera/Rear DVD Group: 1 CD/DVD audio, 6.5 inch screen, touch screen, USB port, music management database, hard drive, DVD rear entertainment system, backup camera
• Navigation/Rear Backup Camera Group: MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, rear backup camera, ParkSense® Park Assist System
• Exterior Appearance Package: Chrome exterior assist handles, premium fender flares w/ chrome rivets

Enlargement:
http://www.xkjeeps.com/2008/2008_Commander_002.jpg

All New 2-Row, 5-Passenger Sport model:

Aluminum Wheels, 17"
Available All New 4.7L V8 Engine
Electronic Stability Program with Brake Traction Control & Anti-Lock Brake System
Park Assist
Traction Control & Anti-Lock Brake System
Rear Power Outlet
Power Driver’s Seat
Power Heated Fold Away Mirrors
Side Impact Air Bags
Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel with EVIC Controls

2008 Commander Introductory MSRP pricing (including $695 destination):

Commander Sport 4x2.........$28,110
Commander Limited 4x2.......$37,000
Commander Overland 4x2.....$41,080
Commander Sport 4x4.........$30,110
Commander Limited 4x4.......$39,620
Commander Overland 4x4....$44,545

--XKJeeps.com--

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just looking at the picture I cant tell any difference LOOKWISE from my 2007 Overland but I SURE would like to have that 115v power outlet. I wonder if you could run a 7 1/2" saw off of it? Would be nice to run a few power tools to build something where electric isnt available. john

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
John said:
Just looking at the picture I cant tell any difference LOOKWISE from my 2007 Overland but I SURE would like to have that 115v power outlet. I wonder if you could run a 7 1/2" saw off of it? Would be nice to run a few power tools to build something where electric isnt available. john
The instrument panel is different. I believe it is more like the Mercedes instrument panels where it completely blacks out when turned off. Then the steering wheel setup is different with the EVIC controls on the front of the wheel and the cruise control moved to the stalk. The steering wheel and shifter nob go to a more mundane design (I like the cylinder design of my shifter -- they will probably still offer that -- as a $100 Mopar addon ;-) )

The 115v probably won't be able to run a saw due to the amperage drawn by the saw. I know a lot of times those light-duty inverters will trip out if you put too much of a load on them.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I really like the new instruments. I can't tell what speed I'm going if it's daytime and I have my sunglasses on. Also, like the telescoping wheel. Shifter is from the LX platform, I like the old jeep one better. I'm not convinced about the cruise stalk placement, it seems awful low. I'm surprised they didn't relocate the ignition while redoing the dash.

What are those black buttons on the dash on the far left side, just below the A/C vents?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
I really like the new instruments. I can't tell what speed I'm going if it's daytime and I have my sunglasses on. Also, like the telescoping wheel. Shifter is from the LX platform, I like the old jeep one better. I'm not convinced about the cruise stalk placement, it seems awful low. I'm surprised they didn't relocate the ignition while redoing the dash.

What are those black buttons on the dash on the far left side, just below the A/C vents?
They might have replaced the ignition with the push in and turn type used in the Wrangler. The black buttons are the peddle adjustment switch... kind of silly placement since they just cut down on the cubbyhole space there and the space where they used to be is left blank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the exterior picture it appears they forgot to install the radio antenna mast...or is it an option next year?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Mat said:
In the exterior picture it appears they forgot to install the radio antenna mast...or is it an option next year?
Quite common... having the mast on makes it harder for them to photoshop that same image into different backgrounds / transparent overlays for their catalogs, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the pics and information, Milous.

Have you heard the offical word on the last year of production of the Commander? Is the rumor of its demise true?

We love ours.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mat said:
Don't you have the aerial in the rear side window glass? Our Grands / Commanders have had them there since the WJ was relased.

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts
Bomber said:
Don't you have the aerial in the rear side window glass? Our Grands / Commanders have had them there since the WJ was relased.
No, we have the stupid mast antenna. We all wish we had the antenna that you have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
GCT00427 said:
Thanks for the pics and information, Milous. Have you heard the offical word on the last year of production of the Commander? Is the rumor of its demise true?
Edit for Update: 2009 will be last model year for the Commander...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you again, Milous. We are lucky to have you around.

I really hate to see the Commander go away, if it does. They are highly underrated. And regardless what JP Magazine says, they do appeal to former Cherokee owners.

Regards,

Chuck

1 - 20 of 63 Posts