Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for the last week or so here - great group. We haven't decided on which vehicle, but we are interested in the Commander and so we test drove the Commander this weekend - its a fairly solid vehicle. However, it was the V6 and felt underpowered on the highway, especially when trying to pass another vehicle. I have been told that the V8, or Hemi, will be a very significant difference - what are your experiences?

Also, what options are "must haves" on the Commander?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a V6 at the moment, and I would definitely not recommend it. Although it isn't bad, it's still just a little over 200 hp... I mean come on. You should get the Hemi though... we're American's right! And you know you don't have to ask if there's a very significant difference... unless over 100 hp and lb/ft isn't significant.

As for options........................................................................... I would say the Exterior Appearance Package or the Quadra-Drive II 4x4 Group.

Good luck!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the Hemi and wouldnt trade it for the world. Very powerful and smooth. Gas mileage sucks, but from what I am reading on this thread they all suck. With the Hemi and driven like an old lady figure on best of 15 around town and 18 on highway. But, while I drive very conservatively, there are THOSE OCCASSIONS when I REALLY enjoy the power. john

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the 4.7 V8 and I can tell you it has more than enough power. Test drive a V8 and I'm sure you will agree. The hemi is more power than I need, plus more money and worse gas milage so it dIdn't make sense for me. I don't think you test drove a Limited because you only have two engine choices, the 4.7 or Hemi.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You can almost flip a coin to decide betwen the 4.7 and 5.7. I love the Hemi and the reason I purchased it is 1.) listed as one of the 10 best engines in the world for many years running. 2.) I thought if I ever resold it it would have more resale value. 3.) It's pretty cool when you step on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 4.7 is a very good, solid engine. The 5.7 is a new classic.

That being said, unless you really need or want the HEMI, the 4.7 is more than enough. The v6 is underpowered, I have driven all 3, and I would not buy an XK with the 3.7.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would agree with my colleagues here. I have the Hemi, and while it is absolutely fantastic, it gets the worst gas mileage I have ever seen, especially in traffic. Here i get about 11-13 mpg per tank, and it only has a 20 gallon gas tank, so you have to fill it up alot. The 4.7L is a great engine, I had it on my dodge pickup. It'll do the job, so at least get that, but definitely not the V6. As for options, I love the automatic seat/mirror adjustment and the DVD player is fantastic if you have kids or you are riding in the back coming home from a bar.
All in all, this is the greatest vehicle I have ever owned!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got the Hemi in my '07 and it is my favorite feature, it is quiet smooth and has gobs of power. BUT, it takes careful attention and an iron will to keep it in that 40 to 60 mph band where the MDS is 'on' and gas mileage approaches respectibility.

Now, to get my cherished Hemi I had to get many expensive options I don't normally even consider - like leather seats, power sun roof, rain sensing wipers, smart beam headlights, heated front seats, dual zone climate control, front and rear Heat/AC and the remote start feature. That is whole lotta ka-ching$$$.

Still even with that it is a great value vis a vis its competitors, and it'll fit in the garage unlike the neighbors Suburbans and Expeditions.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I too love my Hemi, It provides a little more power and make a great sound when you get on it. The cost of the 4.7 might work out better in the long run with rising gas prices, but the 5.7 is a powerful machine and moves the commander with ease.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Other options that I like.. I love Uconnect as I am on the phone all the time. This will be a must have for all future vehicles. Also the auto rain wipers and auto dim have been exceptional. I am displeased with the REC nav system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Commander sport. The sport is equipped with a 3.7 liter v-6 engine, and the engine does feel a little under power, however as far as the fuel mileage I am averaging 19 to 20 in the city to 21 to 24 in the highway. No matter what engine you have in your vehicle, if you suffer from the lead foot syndrome, you will burn fuel like it's going out of style. On the flip side, I do think the Commander is a very nice vehicle, would have wish Jeep made it a little longer, 'cause the third row seats are only for children. I like this vehicle so much, that I am going to buy a 2008 for my personal use, versus the new 4 door jeep wrangler.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It all depends on you. I have the hemi and I love it. Hate the gas mileage but love the power. I had a 4.7 out and it is very respectable and certainly enough to meet your needs except for the WOW factor in which case a hemi is needed, after all it's a heavy vehicle. I have the limited and love it but it is really not that much different than the sport. If your not doing off roading you don't really need QD2 The basic 4 wheel system will do. 4 wheel drive is a must. Rain sense and that kind of stuff is nice but not necessary, likewise with some of the other gadgets. I have most of it but use it little. I just happened to get a great deal and glad I have it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm curious to know the real difference between the 4.7L V-8 and the HEMI. I wasn't impressed with the V6 at all so its definitely a V8 for me.

As far as other options, I do want the Quadra-Drive Accessory Upgrade for the lockers and skids, but other than that I don't really care for power lift-gates, rain-sensing wipers, etc. I do think that I will probably go for the MyGIG Infotainment system with Nav, but all the other gadgets just seem like expensive items to fix once they break :p. The reason for looking at the Limited is because the HEMI is not an option on the Sport model. I actually would prefer less chrome on the Commander - not a big fan of the chrome grill or the chrome trim. If the 4.7L gives me the oompf I need then perhaps I need to consider the Sport over the Limited as the additional bells & whistles don't excite me too much.

And as far as off-roading, I do plan on taking it off-road, but with IFS and long wheel base I don't really see it doing anything hardcore. I have my YJ for that. But it would be tons of fun for back country exploring and camping. Besides, this is supposed to be our family car so I can't go too crazy with the mods :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
My dream down the road is to have AEV or comparable company install a lift sufficient for 33" tires, along with a winch and proper rocker guards. In the meanwhile I reserve my well modified TJ for anything more difficult then a typical forest trail. As to some of the other options you are not impressed with, you might find they are really handy at times. Like the automatic rear lift gate opener and closer. Nice for shopping. I like the automatic wipers also and even the headlights. If I lived in a really cold climate I'd probably like the remote start too.
Now that they have revamped the 4.7 to 300hp I probably would have to rethink my feelings, but in 2,007 the Hemi was the only way to go for me. There is no substitute for CUBES. (GG) John

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have the Hemi in mine, i have not driven anything else but driving the way that I do I new the Hemi was for me. Does anybody know the mileage comparisons between motors? Is it that big of a difference? I know with my lift and 33" tires I seem to get around 9MPG. Sucks I know but all worth it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iowa Commander - you're Commander is very nicely done and I also wonder about the differences between the 4.7 and HEMI. There is another thread on this board asking for motor/t-case/gearing/mpg comparisons - it should be interesting. However, if you're a lead foot then your MPG will dip considerably, this is true of all motors but I suspect that with the HEMI its even more true because of the on-rush of power you feel - must be addictive :D

John - they might be nice accessories but when I went to test drive the Commander, the sales person kept pressing the buttons on the key fob to try and impress me with the remote start, power lift gate and other fancy gadgets that just scream out $$$ to me - not only in the buy-in but in repair costs should they malfunction. Its really not that difficult for me to switch on the wipers, headlights, etc. They're nice things, but they don't sell the vehicle for me and if they weren't there it wouldn't sway me to not purchase the vehicle. It also would have been better if the sales person didn't say "I don't think the 2008 Commanders come with the HEMI" - but he sure was good with that key fob! ;) (I should point out that the sales person was very nice, there was no pressure tactics and he admitted to not knowing much about the Commander). I guess my point is that these fancy electronic accessories are great for marketing but do not speak to the performance of the vehicle on/off-road and the long-term reliability of it - things that weigh my decision considerably more than rain-sensing wipers and smart headlights. However, I'm not all against gadgets, I do like the MyGIG Infotainment system and will most likely opt for it :)

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have a 2008 Limited, Rock Red. I originally was going to spring for Overland without the DVD system (no kids under 35 :) ) and the dealer had this loaded Limited... Love all the goodies. Get as many as you can afford! Yeah, they may go bad, but, these systems have gotten much better and more durable (the auto headlights in my 1976 El Dorado are still working like the day it was new...) and I don't plan on taking it on the Rubicon...

I'm running the Hemi... Maybe most of the owners are too young to remember the good old days, but, I also have 1976 El Dorado and I grew up with the 440 six packs and 460's... I'm getting 18.7 on the highway with cruise control set and 16.5 around town. I'm loving it. My El Dorado is good for 9 around town and 13 on the highway and I had a Chevelle that wouldn't get that! When you get a vehicle that weighs 2.5 tons (a little over) add gearing to allow off-roading and another whole set of drive gear weight, you don't buy it for mileage - even the 6 doesn't get stellar mileage.

If you are going to stay around town, get the six. If you are going on trips without a lot of cargo, the 4.7 is OK, but, if you are going to tow, drive heavy off-road, then its the Hemi ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
So much of this is subjective. You most likely would be happy with the 4.7 and a CAI I had the 4.7 out and it was nice and it ended up being sold since I decided to wait a bit. Then came a real deal on a Hemi. If you are looking for fun, I took out the hemi and was hooked. Damn nice when you hit it, smooth and some Kick A.. power when you need it. I threw on a CAi and jet 1 and added a couple more goose bumps. I average 13-14 mpg with 60-40 split highway city, except for those days when the tunes are up and the foot feels heavy. I don't look at mpg on those days. When I bought mine they were givin' it away and I figure the first 3 years were freebees on gas. best dang vehicle I have ever driven. I love my JEEP!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts