Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car never had any warning signs I just noticed that sometimes when I would go to start it it wouldn’t start at the first time I’d have to do it a second time. Suddenly my car just completely didn’t turn on. We ran the cables and got a jump start. But even then it wouldn’t start. We kept messing with the key trying to turn it on and after like 2 hrs of playing with the key it started turning on like nothing.
there are no codes , the battery isn’t even a year old . I’ve been reading around some say it could be a fuse others that it’s my key fob and others the starter... I don’t know where to begin ! Has anyone encountered this issue or any recommendations. Besides just throwing the whole car away ! Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need a little more info.

What engine?

When it won't turn on when you turn the key, is the engine turning over? Is there a click under the hood but the engine doesn't turn over? Does it just do absolutely nothing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need a little more info.

What engine?

When it won't turn on when you turn the key, is the engine turning over? Is there a click under the hood but the engine doesn't turn over? Does it just do absolutely nothing?
you can here a click and that’s all it does it’s a 3.6L v6 now it’s starting like nothing ever happened thought. I wanna say that the starter is giving out

·
Registered
9 Posts
The click is the starter solenoid closing, and with that on top of the fact that it does turn over and start often, means the circuit is complete and there is no fuse issue. The fact that you only get the solenoid even with a jump means bad connections or starter.

Terminal connections at the battery and starter could be a culprit, or ground connection from engine to chassis, but you are probably dead on with the starter itself being on the way out. Check the battery connections first though; simple and free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The click is the starter solenoid closing, and with that on top of the fact that it does turn over and start often, means the circuit is complete and there is no fuse issue. The fact that you only get the solenoid even with a jump means bad connections or starter.

Terminal connections at the battery and starter could be a culprit, or ground connection from engine to chassis, but you are probably dead on with the starter itself being on the way out. Check the battery connections first though; simple and free.
Thanks I will try it out rn ! Ty ty ty !

·
Administrator
6,634 Posts
Thanks I will try it out rn ! Ty ty ty !
@Hernashh;

There is a yellow wire that attaches to the starter that is notorious for corrosion, which in turn causes intermittent starting problems;

I'd start by checking that yellow wire and making sure that the connection where the yellow wire connects to the starter is completely clean & rust/corrosion free.

Also, please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules.

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

It's very helpful and in most cases necessary, to have a properly completed user profile - with all of your Commander's relevant information, so members have the basic & necessary information to help you properly diagnose your issues

1 - 6 of 6 Posts