Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first spy shots of the 2008 Liberty (in camoflague) have surfaced.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_updates.htm

Peering behind the obvious attempts to mask it at as a Dodge Nitro (note the Dodge crosshair grille appearance on the front camo), you can pic out several Commander design cues... a squared off backend, stacked headlights, clamshell hood, etc.

The spare tire no longer rides on the rear but is most likely tucked underneath. The KK's (model code unconfirmed) fuel tank most-likely rides side-saddle due to rear-impact standards that didn't exist when the KJ was born.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I thought the same thing the first time I saw a picture of the Patriot.....mini-Commander.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the green vehicle is a what?

Have you all seen this new Compass? That's ugly.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
It's a new Jeep Patriot. I believe it's the same platform as the Compass, just not nearly as ugly though....

·
Registered
204 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
The first spy shots of the 2008 Liberty (in camoflague) have surfaced.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_updates.htm

The spare tire no longer rides on the rear but is most likely tucked underneath. The KK's (model code unconfirmed) fuel tank most-likely rides side-saddle due to rear-impact standards that didn't exist when the KJ was born.
19.5 gallon fuel tank that rides forward of the rear axle in what they are calling a "mid-ship" position.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dont see why they felt the need for a Compass AND a Patriot....I agree with you the Patriot isnt bad looking but the Compass is downright ugly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So basically it took the folks at Chrysler 5 years to figure out that a lot of people did prefer the styling of the Cherokee to the Grand Cherokee and Liberty. The current Liberty is a fine vehicle but for a Cherokee replacement it left something to be desired (and to be fair styling is only part of it). As a former Cherokee owner, I am happy to see so many derivatively styled vehicles coming out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
in my opinion i think that is a commander and not the liberty. There is no way to judge the size difference and all the features are the same as the commander. My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is not the Commander, it is a 2008 Liberty. If you look at it compared to the Grand Cherokee behind it you can see it is smaller.

·
Registered
204 Posts
uponmycommand said:
in my opinion i think that is a commander and not the liberty. There is no way to judge the size difference and all the features are the same as the commander. My 2 cents

Roof rack alone is completely different, and it is definately a new vehicle since it has the "active" radio Sat antennae. The mirrors are different and the covers have the same lines the old KJ has which appears to be the only design carryover. The trailer hitch is completely below the bumper too, which rules out WK and XK.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Interesting... I think the picture posted earlier (Green Patriot or Liberty) is a much better looking vehicle than the one above. This second picture isnt as balanced as the first, and it doesnt have the molded driving lights in the roof or integrated roof rack. I wonder what the production will look like? The earlier picture looks fantastic, and looks to be perfectly proportioned, so I doubt it will be a production vehicle :D Regardless, the Commander look is awesome, be it on the New Liberty or Patriot.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Wow, they are definitely going with the Commander styling for other Jeeps now. First the Patriot, and now the new Liberty. I'd love to see a picture of all three side-by-side.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TR4Runner said:
Wow, they are definitely going with the Commander styling for other Jeeps now. First the Patriot, and now the new Liberty. I'd love to see a picture of all three side-by-side.
The Patriot is only sort of styled like the Commander. It is somewhere in between the styling of the Wrangler (2-Door) / Wrangler Unlimited (4-Door) and the 2008 Liberty and the Commander.

Now the Compass will be the family's only ugly duckling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts