Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
The new Liberty is a HUGE improvement over the old, cute-ute styling of the last body style. The new one looks much tougher.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
UberCommander said:
These two look the same. What are they calling it something different over seas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdlddFqhfTI
I believe the original Liberty was supposed to be a replacement for the Jeep Cherokee. When they decided to keep making the old Cherokee along with the new "replacement" vehicle, they had to come up with another name for the new vehicle....and they named it the Liberty.

Now we have a Liberty and no Cherokee, but the Cherokee name lives on in the exported versions of the Liberty. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TR4Runner said:
I believe the original Liberty was supposed to be a replacement for the Jeep Cherokee. When they decided to keep making the old Cherokee along with the new "replacement" vehicle, they had to come up with another name for the new vehicle....and they named it the Liberty.

Now we have a Liberty and no Cherokee, but the Cherokee name lives on in the exported versions of the Liberty. Does that make any sense?

The "replacement" for the Cherokee was the Grand Cherokee....sales made it so that the Cherokee stayed around and hense the addition of Grand to the name.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Wish the photo gallery had some interior shots. Don't really want to go to the dealer to look at one.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
As a previous owner of an '05 Renegade Rocky Mountain, I have a soft spot for the Liberty,I think the styling on our version (different grille & hood)was a little better than the standard model, but the '08 is a real winner.Definately a mini Commander.-43:)

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
jeep5253 said:
No. The last year for the Cherokee was 2001. The Liberty debuted in 2002.
You might want to check your Jeep history. The Liberty was in fact originally supposed to be a replacement for the Cherokee. Look at this quote from fourwheeler.com:

The Liberty originally was intended as a replacement for the Cherokee, aka the Jeep XJ, and was first known as XJR. But now Jeep spokesmen tell us that Cherokee will be built and sold alongside the Liberty for the next 12-18 months, and a decision will be made after that time about the Cherokee’s future.

Source: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/16598/index.html

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
CanadianJeepYJ said:
The "replacement" for the Cherokee was the Grand Cherokee....sales made it so that the Cherokee stayed around and hense the addition of Grand to the name.
What??? The Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee were both made for several model years. The Grand Cherokee was never a replacement for the Cherokee. The Liberty was supposed to be the replacement for the Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Maybe I should get the wife one to park next to my XK, Too bad I can't get it in Dark Khaki

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
jeep5253 said:
I did check it before I made the post. And what I stated is a fact: The Cherokee and Liberty were not produced at the same time.
Wrong again. The Cherokee and the Liberty were actually in production at the same time. Here's more proof for you:

The history of Liberty tells one a lot about the recent history of Jeep. Just before Jeep launched it, sales of the ancient, yet beloved Cherokee spiked. The Liberty was to be called "Cherokee" (and, indeed, that's its name in Europe and the U.K.), but Chrysler had to come up with the new name because it decided to extend the life of the 18-year-old Cherokee to sell both. As anyone but DaimlerChrysler could predict, the sales spike was very temporary and so Jeep dropped the old Cherokee months after Liberty's debut.

That also further proves my point about the whole "Cherokee" and "Liberty" name and the way that the Liberty was supposed to called the Cherokee until they decided to sell both at the same time. Unfortunately, the sales dropped off significantly, and the Cherokee was dropped soon after the Liberty came out.

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0708_2008_jeep_liberty

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
BTW, I forgot to mention that the Liberty first went on sale in May of 2001 (even thought it was designated as a 2002 model.) That means Liberty production started well before that. The Cherokee was still being produced until the summer of 2001.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
RedCommander said:
So you agree then, there was no overlap in the model years of the Cherokee and Liberty?
Um...no, you're not getting the point here.

Read it again:

The Liberty was on sale (on the dealers lots) in May of 2001. That means production started well before May 2001.

The Cherokee was still being produced until the summer of 2001.

The overlap isn't in MODEL YEARS, it's in the fact that they were both being produced at the same time. Hence, the reason why they came up with the name Liberty, instead of just calling it the Cherokee. That's where this entire debate started, in the fact that the Liberty is called "Cherokee" in foreign markets and the reasons for that.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
LOL, I'm starting to think I may be more of a Jeep enthusiast than some of the Commander owners here! The guys on the XJ forums would get a kick out of this discussion!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TR4Runner said:
What??? The Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee were both made for several model years. The Grand Cherokee was never a replacement for the Cherokee. The Liberty was supposed to be the replacement for the Cherokee.
Wow....you need to read up on some history yourself.

The GC was the replacement....sales KEPT the Cherokee around. They didn't kill the Cherokee like they were doing to do.

NO WAY was the Liberty a Cherokee replacement.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts