Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read many many posts on this issue. I can't find the answer to this specific question (my model and equipment match) and I'm afraid to even approach the dealer at this point.

I want iPod Integration w/ RER unit (NOT ipod sound patched via AUX 1/8 in. cable). This means an iPod cable that charges the iPod and allows it to be controlled via the system controls and NOT a usb transfer of music.

I have a 2008 (delivered in June if that matters) Limited with the following related equiptment: Navigation, Sirius, Premium Boston Sound - all oem installed and active.

The literature that I read on the 08 Commander w/ premium sound says ipod integration. Now I understand that may be an editor or reviewer confusing iPod integration with porting audio via an audio jack.

My bottom line question is two fold:

1.) Is it at all possible, given my equipment and model year, to have OEM ipod integration (as defined above - again, not just porting audio via aux jack)?

This could include software/firmware updates, a cable routed from the back of the unit, but stopping short of replacing the unit.

2.) If the answer to 1.) is difinitively NO - is there third party equipment that will allow iPod control and charging via the touch screen RER that someone could recomend from experience? (I have a NEO adapter for my 2002 530i that works like described above).

Thanks all for reading yet another how-to-ipod-my-commander post! :)

Meegwell2 (because Meegwell never got a confirmation email!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Allow me to add some confusion to this. I find contradicting evidence as to whether or not the Mopar intergration cable works for a 2008.

Here is what one site (just for jeeps dot com) says:

iPod interface cable for 2009-2010 RER radios. Connects to the back of the radio and is fed through to either the glove box or center console, depending on your vehicle to experience iPod integration­.

Will not work with 2007 or 2008 RER MyGig radios, only 2009-2010 RER Radios.

Item # 82211853

But, if you look at the Mopar install manual for this same part, there are instructions for installing it in a 2008 Commander w/ RER:

2008:
Durango........................................................p.2
Charger,300C................................................ p.2
Liberty/Nitro..................................................p.2
Commander.................................................. p.2
Dakota...........................................................p.3
Grand Cherokee........................................... p.3
06-13-08 1 of 4 K6860648
Minivan......................................................... p.3
Sebring/Avenger............................................p.3
Wrangler........................................................p.3
Caliber...........................................................p.4
Challenger..................................................... p.4
Compass/Patriot............................................ p.4
Ram.............................................................. p.4

[/SIZE]​
Link for Mopar Manual for this Part# 82211853:

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/moparimages/accessory catalog/images/isheets/K6860648.pdf

What gives here? Is it possible that it (2008 w/ RER) originally was not capable then became capacble w/ upgrade or something?

Meegwell2

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
This is an after market accessory that I believe allows what you want.

Link to Peripheral iPod® Chrysler Adapter

Couple notes on this one:
  • Factory radio MUST be a 6 disc indash CD changer.
  • If the vehicle has factory Video Entertainment it will no longer work with this adapter.
[/QUOTE]

*Edit: I'm not 100% sure it will work with the RER. I would call them just to make sure.
*Edit2: just got a chance to look into this adapter a little more. Unfortantly it doesn't work with the RER radio.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi Meegwell2,

I just installed the rer in my 2006. Along with some issues lol. I went to this site/forum to get all the info I needed on the rer nav. This site is all about the Mygig! http://mofv.com/mygig/ Good Luck! D

Sorry if its against the rules to link another forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the sake of closure, after much research it appears that there is a physical connection reason as to why the 08 RER wont take the ipod adapter adn the 09 will. It's still not clear to me if this changed some time during 08 (i.e. if a late 08 has the proper connection in the back of the unit vs. an early 08).

I was really looking foward to using the head unit to control the ipod and tucking away the ipod out of site and charging. I was fooled by the misleading "ipod integration" feature listing and held out hope while diggin through all the contradicting information (like the 2008 commander being listed for the Mopar integration part). Oh well, I'll adapt to the aux cable I guess.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
The 09 mygig has on screen control of the Ipod. The 08 mygig does not. You can hook up the cable but you have to use the Ipod itself to control the music.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts