Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just picked up a certified preowned 2008 Limited still under factory 3yr/36k mile warranty. Its got RER unit with NAV, u-connect, hard drive, etc. with DVD units in headrests and Boston speakers. After getting it off the lot, we noticed a few problems:

1. There is a problem with the speakers. The ones on the left provide little if any sound. I checked the balance and its fine. When I move the cursor over to the left, the sound drops to almost nothing. I can get a little sound out of the left speaker in the dash. I dont think the back left and way back left speakers are working at all. With the radio up, it and sitting in the front seat, the only real sound you hear is from the front right speaker. There might be a problem with the back right speakers but its hard to tell.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Any chance its covered under the original warranty?

2. The NAV voice prompts dont work. I checked the system set up and made sure the voice prompt was on. During navigation, all I get is a tone and a drop in the radio volume. You can hear very faintly the voice prompt but not enough for it to be any use. I have checked volume on prompt to no avail.

Can this be related to problem with left speakers? IF not, what else.

3. Headrest monitors don't work. They are Power Acoustiks. They have USB ports and other inputs. They power on and I can toggle through the various input choices, but I can't get anything to play on them. I put a DVD in the head unit and it played fine with video and sound. Both monitors did the same thing. The other is that they both seem to have a problem with power flickering. Both units will just shut off and on by themselves with no rhyme or reason.

Am I doing something wrong which is causing the DVD monitors not to play the DVD?

What would cause the power flickering?

Is this going to be covered under the warranty?

Undoubtably, I should have checked all this out before taking it off the lot. But probably was lulled into a false sense of security with it being certified preowned and still under warranty. That and I really dont buy many (read "any") used cars. And yeah, I am beating myself up about it already.

Thanks for any help in advance. Great site by the way. I searched for a couple of hours before posting just trying to educate myself.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If they are after market it sounds like whoever installed them did a piss poor job that basically jacked the whole system. Fixable though I'm sure but someone has to get in there and check it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My wife just picked up a certified preowned 2008 Limited still under factory 3yr/36k mile warranty. Its got RER unit with NAV, u-connect, hard drive, etc. with DVD units in headrests and Boston speakers. After getting it off the lot, we noticed a few problems:

1. There is a problem with the speakers. The ones on the left provide little if any sound. I checked the balance and its fine. When I move the cursor over to the left, the sound drops to almost nothing. I can get a little sound out of the left speaker in the dash. I dont think the back left and way back left speakers are working at all. With the radio up, it and sitting in the front seat, the only real sound you hear is from the front right speaker. There might be a problem with the back right speakers but its hard to tell.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Any chance its covered under the original warranty?

2. The NAV voice prompts dont work. I checked the system set up and made sure the voice prompt was on. During navigation, all I get is a tone and a drop in the radio volume. You can hear very faintly the voice prompt but not enough for it to be any use. I have checked volume on prompt to no avail.

Can this be related to problem with left speakers? IF not, what else.

3. Headrest monitors don't work. They are Power Acoustiks. They have USB ports and other inputs. They power on and I can toggle through the various input choices, but I can't get anything to play on them. I put a DVD in the head unit and it played fine with video and sound. Both monitors did the same thing. The other is that they both seem to have a problem with power flickering. Both units will just shut off and on by themselves with no rhyme or reason.

Am I doing something wrong which is causing the DVD monitors not to play the DVD?

What would cause the power flickering?

Is this going to be covered under the warranty?

Undoubtably, I should have checked all this out before taking it off the lot. But probably was lulled into a false sense of security with it being certified preowned and still under warranty. That and I really dont buy many (read "any") used cars. And yeah, I am beating myself up about it already.

Thanks for any help in advance. Great site by the way. I searched for a couple of hours before posting just trying to educate myself.
I would take it right back to the dealer .....

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
The headrest monitors were installed by a previous owner because they are not available on the Commander. The only rear seat monitor available for the Commander is ceiling mounted. The headrest monitors would not be covered under warranty. The other problems would be covered under warranty unless they are caused by the installation of the headrest monitors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not talking about the items or the issue being under warranty. If you just bought the jeep from a jeep dealer then I would take it right back up there right away (not a few days later) and bring the issue to there attention. If it is a decent dealer and they care about satisfied customers then they will take care of the issue for you. I bought a used vehicle from a dealer that had a after market radio, got home and went to turn it on and nothing. Drove the car right back up there the next day and they threw me in a new working radio because they knew I was not satisfied. Its definitely worth a shot and wont hurt nothing to try. If they wont honor it, then you know not to take your vehicle there for any service or better yet purchase another vehicle from them. I would stress to them that the entertainment system was one of the main reasons you chose to purchase the vehicle, only to find out it doesn't work and you are very unsatified.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
As jeep 5253 stated, the headrest monitors are not stock. If the previous owner set the head unit up to watch videos, some how he jacked it. The head unit will not play videos from the factory unless you alter it. Stock, the VES (video entertainment system) is a roof mounted monitor, with a separate video player. It is wired to the head unit to control some of the functions - where the sound plays, etc. Also, you want to see if he swapped out the original BA amp. It is a 6 channel amp: 2 channels full spectrum for the rear door speakers, 2 channels for the front door - base only, and 2 channels for the dash - mids and highs. You mention a way back left speaker - is this in the third row? If so, these also are not stock, which leads me to believe the amp may have been swapped out. Any time you swap out the 6ch BA amp, you have to get the correct harness, or you will lose sound from some of the speakers. If it is a certified vehicle, I'd take it back and let them deal with it. You should not have to try and figure this out by yourself. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone. I am calling the dealer now. Will let you know what they say.

As far as the amp goes, where is it and how do tell by looking at it if it is the original or new?

thanks again.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I am calling the dealer now. Will let you know what they say.

As far as the amp goes, where is it and how do tell by looking at it if it is the original or new?

thanks again.
It is behind the driver's side panel by the third row. In order to remove the panel, you have to remove the trim at the top of the hatch, remove the jack tray, remove the driver's side third row seat. The BA amp will have a Mopar part number sticker, whereas an aftermarket amp should be marked accordingly. What did you mean by "the way back speaker"? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the dealer bragged about the monitors then they sould make sure they work too! I'd guilt trip them into it, or maybe call the BBB for advice. If that does not work out, you can troubleshoot them yourself...

You mentioned they are Poweracoustik... go to http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/OWNER_MANUAL.htm#current and you can probably find documents on your model headrest monitors.

I added headrest LCD/DVD units to my XK when I bought it and just in case it helps, I will try to describe how I wired up mine...

I purchased a "Lockpick" to serve as the interface between the RER radio and the monitors. I do not know how the previous owner of your XK wired everything, but from the flickering power issue, I would check all of the wiring from the LCD units and trace it back to where it terminates. If the connections are not secure (butt splice or crimp), you could be getting drop-outs.

The LCD units require 12VDC constant and switched power and the old school RCA cables (red, white and yellow) for the audio and video feeds. They have a module that is usually hidden behind the back panel of the center console, right below where the rear vents are located between the two front seats. That panel pulls off (it feels like it will break, but it actually is just held in with clips on my 2010).

There should be no reason to tie in anywhere other than the head unit in the dash. I did a lot of research and decided the Lockpick made monitor installation easy as well as allows me to change navigation settings while moving (kids, do not try this at home).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update . . . . called the dealer and dropped the truck off Sunday. The salesman tried to discourage us from dropping it off Sunday as no loaners were available. Dealer is in Miami which is about 75 miles from our house. Wife and I work so getting down during the week was a PITA. Dropped it off anyway to just the truck back down to the dealer. Their service guy called later on Sunday before wife got there to get heads up on problem. He was very apologetic. He suspected is was the head unit.

They end up getting a new head unit overnighted for delivery Tuesday. They replace the head unit. I think its an upgraded RER unit but not sure.

Anyway, rather than making us drive down to pick it up, dealer puts it on a flatbed and has it delivered to our house this afternoon. Sound system sounds great. Love the Nav unit. All in all, very happy with outcome.

As far as headrest units go, they dont seem to have the flicker problem anymore. I still can't figure out how to get them to play DVDs through head unit. Dont know if it is even set it for it. It tells me "no disc" even though DVD is playing in head unit.

Thanks Chuck. I'll definitely check out the link to see if I can figure out the thing works.

Even if the headrest players are a total bust, its fine. The fact of the matter is that the online ad for the truck didn't even mention them. They were in a photo but not emphasized. When we looked at the truck, the headrest covers were on and we didn't even think about them. I didn't even notice them until I got home and happened to be adjusting the headrest. I could not in good faith claim part of the sale was for the headrest units.

All in all, thrilled with the truck.

On another note, I am member of a few different forums. I got to tell you, you guys are tops. All the helpful knowledge was really appreciated and very helpful. Thanks again.

Oh, as far as the "way back speakers" go. . . . they aren't any. Just another way I have demonstrated my incompetence.

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
the 66 kid, can you post some pics of the head unit and headrest monitors ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts