Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Has anyone had their 3.0 litre CRD V6 diesel (Mercedes OM642) suck its engine oil through its coolant system and pump it out through the overflow bottle?

If so after this was repaired how did it affect the future running of the engine?

Did you keep the Jeep or move it on to the next poor sod?

I bought my 2008 Jeep Commander in March. In September, it was dropped off at my mechanic's place on the back of a tilt tray truck. The afternoon before I had stopped to fill up the fuel three hours into a planned 5 hour drive. Immediately after starting the Jeep I noticed a dry pulley sound. I drove about a 100 metres to the closest off the road car park where I could safely park the Jeep and the trailer I was towing. I got covered in oil when I went to lift the bonnet. I checked the dipstick and found a bare smear of oil on its bottom - well below the recommended level. It took four litres of new oil to get the reading back to where is should be.

No warning lights of any kind - except the earlier "Low Fuel" light had come before I went to fill up with diesel.

I called the roadside assistance mob and they found that there was no coolant in the radiator. So the tilt tray truck was called to take me, the Jeep and the trailer home after waiting a couple of hours of course! During this wait sufficient time had passed to take the cap off the radiator header tank. It contained the dregs of an emulsion of rank foamy coolant and engine oil. A while later when the mechanic took off the radiator hoses they too were full of a black oily emulsion.

Apparently, these Mercedes OM642 had orange coloured oil cooler seals that had the reputation of needing to be replaced, as in the case of "When" not "If". However, the mechanic found that these orange seals were fine - the oil cooler itself had disintegrated internally.

Prior to this incident, I really appreciated what I had purchased and thought the Jeep to be a great car. Now I am waiting for parts to arrive so the mechanic can put the Jeep back together again. Due to the inaccessibility of where the Mercedes engineers decided to put the oil cooler - under lots of components like the: turbo - electrical system, inlet manifolds, fuel lines; the vast majority of the mechanic's bill will be time removing and replacing all the parts that go on top of the oil cooler.

So as above - I would really like to know if this has happened to your Commander and how it performed after the repairs were done? The mechanic is advising me to sell the car as soon as possible. This is because the oil in the coolant will lurk in the system for a long time and in the process weaken all the rubber hoses in the whole coolant system. This could cause the hoses to rupture and cook the engine in a very short period of time. Not that we know yet that this has happened and the engine has already been damaged. We have to wait until all the parts are together and the vehicle possibly comes back to life again. "Not Happy, Jan" (taken from an Australian television advertisement).

Kind regards
Lionel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,

Has anyone had their 3.0 litre CRD V6 diesel (Mercedes OM642) suck its engine oil through its coolant system and pump it out through the overflow bottle?

If so after this was repaired how did it affect the future running of the engine?

Did you keep the Jeep or move it on to the next poor sod?

I bought my 2008 Jeep Commander in March. In September, it was dropped off at my mechanic's place on the back of a tilt tray truck. The afternoon before I had stopped to fill up the fuel three hours into a planned 5 hour drive. Immediately after starting the Jeep I noticed a dry pulley sound. I drove about a 100 metres to the closest off the road car park where I could safely park the Jeep and the trailer I was towing. I got covered in oil when I went to lift the bonnet. I checked the dipstick and found a bare smear of oil on its bottom - well below the recommended level. It took four litres of new oil to get the reading back to where is should be.

No warning lights of any kind - except the earlier "Low Fuel" light had come before I went to fill up with diesel.

I called the roadside assistance mob and they found that there was no coolant in the radiator. So the tilt tray truck was called to take me, the Jeep and the trailer home after waiting a couple of hours of course! During this wait sufficient time had passed to take the cap off the radiator header tank. It contained the dregs of an emulsion of rank foamy coolant and engine oil. A while later when the mechanic took off the radiator hoses they too were full of a black oily emulsion.

Apparently, these Mercedes OM642 had orange coloured oil cooler seals that had the reputation of needing to be replaced, as in the case of "When" not "If". However, the mechanic found that these orange seals were fine - the oil cooler itself had disintegrated internally.

Prior to this incident, I really appreciated what I had purchased and thought the Jeep to be a great car. Now I am waiting for parts to arrive so the mechanic can put the Jeep back together again. Due to the inaccessibility of where the Mercedes engineers decided to put the oil cooler - under lots of components like the: turbo - electrical system, inlet manifolds, fuel lines; the vast majority of the mechanic's bill will be time removing and replacing all the parts that go on top of the oil cooler.

So as above - I would really like to know if this has happened to your Commander and how it performed after the repairs were done? The mechanic is advising me to sell the car as soon as possible. This is because the oil in the coolant will lurk in the system for a long time and in the process weaken all the rubber hoses in the whole coolant system. This could cause the hoses to rupture and cook the engine in a very short period of time. Not that we know yet that this has happened and the engine has already been damaged. We have to wait until all the parts are together and the vehicle possibly comes back to life again. "Not Happy, Jan" (taken from an Australian television advertisement).

Kind regards
Lionel
Hi Lionel,

I think this just happened to me, it's literally pissing out the area surrounding the bash plate, where the sump drain plug is. The bash plate itself is drenched. I've taken a video of the side of the block, inside the engine bay, and my mechanic immediately diagnosed it with "oil cooler". Apparently pretty much the whole block needs to be taken apart.
Luckily, when I bought it in September 2020, I took out an extended warranty that covers pretty much everything, so on Monday I'll be phoning them and getting a quote/approval. There's no way I'm letting this vehicle go, as she's 100% otherwise, and I've been looking for one for ages. They’re pretty scarce here in South Africa.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello Ted,

Have a look at this youtube video Accessed 12th February 2021 from,
It runs through the disassembly and reassembly - in time lapse. I have the vehicle back after my mechanic fit it in amongst his other jobs. Four months after the Jeep was first towed there. Get your mechanic to check the radiator as my Jeep built up so much pressure during the breach between the coolant and the oil purge that it split the radiator. Now I watch the temperature gauge like a hawk. Despite the new radiator and hours of flushing there is still gunk floating in the top of the coolant overflow tank.

My Jeep's engine also had the original orange seals that the are shown in the videoclip. The new upgraded seals are purple and made out of a different, more robust material.

I even found a thread that describes exactly what happened to my Jeep's oil cooler. The oil cooler is a sandwich style that has internal galleries. These galleries can corrode. In the thread I have included below it describes what happened to my Jeep's motor....

" the galleries can perforate from one to the other and the resulting high pressure oil in the primary high pressure circuit moving through the oil filter, is forced into the water system and onward to the header tank" From which it then spreads the emulsified coolant all over the engine and gets spread around by the fan.

Here is the link to the thread .... Mercedes Sprinter – Engine Oil in Coolant Water – Oil Cooler Leak – Fix The bit about needing to put in four litres of oil which lasted about 90 kilometres; and then once the repair was started taking two litres of oil out of the radiator hose mentioned in the article describes what happened to my Jeep.

My Jeep is going back for another flush and a pressure check. Building back trust in the Jeep again is a slow process so far.

Let me know how your fun and games with your Jeep go!

Kind regards
Lionel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Ted,

Have a look at this youtube video Accessed 12th February 2021 from,
It runs through the disassembly and reassembly - in time lapse. I have the vehicle back after my mechanic fit it in amongst his other jobs. Four months after the Jeep was first towed there. Get your mechanic to check the radiator as my Jeep built up so much pressure during the breach between the coolant and the oil purge that it split the radiator. Now I watch the temperature gauge like a hawk. Despite the new radiator and hours of flushing there is still gunk floating in the top of the coolant overflow tank.

My Jeep's engine also had the original orange seals that the are shown in the videoclip. The new upgraded seals are purple and made out of a different, more robust material.

I even found a thread that describes exactly what happened to my Jeep's oil cooler. The oil cooler is a sandwich style that has internal galleries. These galleries can corrode. In the thread I have included below it describes what happened to my Jeep's motor....

" the galleries can perforate from one to the other and the resulting high pressure oil in the primary high pressure circuit moving through the oil filter, is forced into the water system and onward to the header tank" From which it then spreads the emulsified coolant all over the engine and gets spread around by the fan.

Here is the link to the thread .... Mercedes Sprinter – Engine Oil in Coolant Water – Oil Cooler Leak – Fix The bit about needing to put in four litres of oil which lasted about 90 kilometres; and then once the repair was started taking two litres of oil out of the radiator hose mentioned in the article describes what happened to my Jeep.

My Jeep is going back for another flush and a pressure check. Building back trust in the Jeep again is a slow process so far.

Let me know how your fun and games with your Jeep go!

Kind regards
Lionel
Hi Lionel,

This was very helpful, thanks. At least now I've an idea of what is about to happen to the car. My mechanic contacted the insurance company that handles the extended warranty on Monday, so we should hear back in the next couple of days. In Africa things tend to take their time. I'll let you know how she goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a growing oil puddle on the driveway and it was the oil cooler seals - common issue on the OM642 engine I'm told. A £100 full gasket set and c£400 labour and it's all back together and performing perfectly with no leaks. The mechanics noted some carbon build up in the manifolds and I'm not sure whether they cleaned these out or not, I'm just glad to have my Jeep back. Then the front brake calipers seized within a week, but that's another story... :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
A quick update so to speak. The Commander has been collected by a tow-truck, yesterday the mechanic mentioned that it might just be a diesel fuel leak of some kind. Let's hope for the best.

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine had the same issue.
New oil cooler and seals all through the engine.
Cost me about £300 in parts and 700 odd quid in labour.
Absolute sickener.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A quick update so to speak. The Commander has been collected by a tow-truck, yesterday the mechanic mentioned that it might just be a diesel fuel leak of some kind. Let's hope for the best.
I actually never posted an update. The culprit were the diesel fuel lines that had burst. Cost me around $370 US to fix in total, but she's good as new, no issues since.
The oil underneath the car was from the diesel fuel having flushed out the oil that had collected over the years in the "V" from the turbo spraying little bits of oil now and then.

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
I actually never posted an update. The culprit were the diesel fuel lines that had burst. Cost me around $370 US to fix in total, but she's good as new, no issues since.
The oil underneath the car was from the diesel fuel having flushed out the oil that had collected over the years in the "V" from the turbo spraying little bits of oil now and then.
@tedteddertedste Thank you for giving us an update. Glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a growing oil puddle on the driveway and it was the oil cooler seals - common issue on the OM642 engine I'm told. A £100 full gasket set and c£400 labour and it's all back together and performing perfectly with no leaks. The mechanics noted some carbon build up in the manifolds and I'm not sure whether they cleaned these out or not, I'm just glad to have my Jeep back. Then the front brake calipers seized within a week, but that's another story... :)

Where did you get the gasket set from mate? I am in Australia and am having trouble finding the full gasket set

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
Where did you get the gasket set from mate? I am in Australia and am having trouble finding the full gasket set
@JPjeep Please make an introductory post in the New Member section. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mercedes dealer should be able to help you out. At least here in South Africa is where my mechanic buys the kits from. Bloody expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mercedes dealer should be able to help you out. At least here in South Africa is where my mechanic buys the kits from. Bloody expensive.
Here in Australia the gasket kit was also sourced from the local Mercedes dealer. Who are also the local Jeep dealer too.

Kind regards
Lionel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts