Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have probably read each thread on two different occassions around what is needed to install an aftermarket double din unit into a Commaner without factory nav or BA system. Most of the threads have discussed 06-07 XK's which have a different radio and dash bezel than I do in my 2010.

I know I have all of the necessary wires and adapters on the way, as I ordered through Crutchfield and they told me I am good to go.

The only thing I am confused about is whether I can use my factory dash bezel and maybe do a little trimming in order to accomodate the new unit, which is a Sony XNV-770bt, by the way, or if I need to order a new dash bezel. My order comes with crutchfield part # 120956511, which is some sort of double din adapter for Chrysler/Jeep vehicles.

I am anxious to get this hooked up. It has all of the bells and whistles, including bluetooth, navigation, sirius, backup camera, and a full 7" screen.

This is what my radio/dash looks like...

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have actually been wondering the same thing. I have an '08 with the same bezel you do. The radio I want to get is a DD and on Crutchfield's site it says it's a "modified fit". When I questioned them on this the guy told me since I don't have a true DD there would have to be some sub-dash modifications to which I may not be able to reinstall the factory head unit. I then said sub-dash mods are fine as long as I don't have to hack up my bezel. He didn't say it would be necessary.

All I can say is go for it and post the results. I'll let you be my guinea pig. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. I am hoping someone else chimes in, but I will definitely keep you posted if I have to tackle this without any guidance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump. Hoping someone out there has done this or at least knows the answer. I am planning to do the install over the weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
Is your bezel one big piece from the radio down to the shifter?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect. I'm glad I don't have to cut my bezel at all. I will take some pictures once I get everything installed this weekend.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a poor quality pic, but it gives you an idea of the final product. My favorite part of the new system is the backup camera...pretty slick.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a couple more pictures of the head unit with the metra dash kit and I threw in two pics of where I mounted the backup camera. The install was about what I expected. Do you have any add-ons, such as a steering wheel interface, sirius radio, bluetooth, navigation, or backup camera?

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for those pics. It looks better than I expected it too. I have Sirius with my current stock unit and I want to keep that but I have nothing of the other things you listed. The unit I am buying is Sirius ready and has bluetooth built in. It also is back up cam ready but I haven't decided if I will add one or not. I have to call them to find out what I need for Sirius since I already have the factory antenna.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up running my bluetooth microphone behind the instrument cluster, out the side of the dash, up behind the grab handle, and I clipped the microphone on top of the plastic around the handle. It seems to be working very well in that location.

As far as the Sirius goes, you will need the Sirius SCC1 tuner and possibly another module that will be brand-specific, depending on your headunit. I have read that some headunits don't require the second module, but others do, such as my Sony. You will also need to run a separate antenna, even though you have a factory one.

I mounted mine in the center of my roof and was able to tuck the wire between the windshield and roof gap.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here's a newbie question for you guys- so if MaineMan was able to successfully complete a clean install of a DD unit does that mean most DD units will fit as long as you use the adapter?

Great job btw and it DOES look very clean. What's the model number on your Sony if you don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great job btw and it DOES look very clean. What's the model number on your Sony if you don't mind sharing?
Thank you. I went with the Sony XNV-770BT. I wanted a true 7" screen, so that narrowed down the search immensely. It's a $1,200 unit, but Crutchfield was running $400 off at the time, which made me jump on it. I added on the Sirius modules, backup camera, steering wheel control interface, dash kit, canbus adapter, and wiring harness and the total came out to about $1,250.

Crutchfield has been great to deal with. I was sent a defective Sirius tuner and they sent a new one out, no questions asked, and included a prepaid return shipping label. They are also helping me troubleshoot an issue with my Pac Audio steering wheel control interface.

Even with these small bumps in the road, I am extremely happy with the end result.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to provide an update for those of you who are considering an aftermarket double-din in the future.

I bought the Sony XNV-770 based on the big 7" screen and quality reputation. Within a couple of days after the install, I was having multiple problems. The rear view camera would randomly come on the screen and would stay on for awhile, not allowing me access to the radio or anything. The steering wheel controls would also work when they wanted to. Crutchfield eventually recommended switching it out with another unit, as they have been receiving similar complaints from other customers.

I ended up with the JVC KW-NT300. It has a slightly smaller screen and the navigation is more generic (Sony had a Tom Tom unit), but everything else is head and shoulders above the sony. The display is more customizable. The Sirius/XM screen shows the artist and song, whereas the sony would could only show 9 characters, which would cut off most artists name.

For the record, the parking brake bypass on both of these units is to simply ground the parking brake wire.

Here is a picture of the Sony (left) and JVC (right).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts