Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all...

I am new around here. After a lot of back and forth, I decided to order a Commander. I was so excited about ordering one today, but was surprised to discover that I can't order an 08 anymore. Starting in 2 weeks, they'll be taking orders on the 09's! :eek:

Has anyone heard anything about the changes to the 09 models? I found one website (xkjeeps.com)that hints at some changes. They mention an upgrade in HP for the Hemi as well as improved MPG. It also mentions HID headlights and a new keyless ignition.

My dealer has an 08 on his lot that has everything I want except the tow package. I am torn between ordering an 09, with changes/pricing/rebates no one seems to know about yet or an 08.

Help!

TJ

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The dealer should be able to install the tow package (hitch, wiring harnesses, bumper bezel trim, aux. fan, tow/haul switch and Starscan changes), make it part of the deal to get the '08 off his lot. He should jump at the chance to move a Commander due to sluggish sales.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
If its a HEMI your after, the 09 is suppose to have a new engine with improved HP and MPG and a more effective MDS.

“The new 5.7-liter 09' HEMI V-8 engine will offer our customers better fuel economy, improved idle quality and overall refinement, along with more horsepower and torque,” said Bob Lee, Vice President – Powertrain Product Engineering Team, Chrysler LLC. “HEMI has always been synonymous with power, and now—thanks to VVT, expanded four-cylinder mode in our MDS system, and a host of other technologies—Chrysler’s new HEMI delivers more fuel efficiency and refinement, along with even more power.”

The HEMI’s new VVT improves fuel economy in two ways. First, it reduces the engine’s pumping work by closing the intake valve later. Second, it increases the expansion process of the combustion event. This allows more work to be transferred to the crankshaft instead of being rejected out of the exhaust port as heat. Essentially, VVT improves engine breathing, which improves engine efficiency and power.

MDS system seamlessly alternates between smooth, high-fuel-economy four-cylinder mode when less power is needed, and V-8 mode when more power from the new 5.7-liter HEMI engine is in demand. This optimizes fuel economy when V-8 power is not required, without sacrificing vehicle performance or capability.
An expanded MDS operating range in the new-for-2009 HEMI will allow customers to realize an even-greater fuel economy benefit. Chrysler estimates that since its inception of MDS in 2005, nearly 100 million gallons of gasoline have been saved, along with reduced carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of close to a million metric tons.

I am planning on purchasing an 09' HEMI XK to use as my tow vehicle for the 06' XK....but I still have to run that idea past the wife. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
RedCommander said:
I'd beat the piss out of them on the 08 in price. You can get it for a lot less than sticker price. You can't do that when you order generally.
Sometimes you can.

I custom ordered my 97 Cherokee Sport at the end of 96 and paid $100 over invoice. I held onto my window sticker for that one since it had my name on it with "Specially built for_______" :)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I agree with the group, you can get a stealer deal on an 08 that is not selling on a dealer lot. I saved $17,000 off sticker price by purchasing a prior year. I would like the new Hemi though.

·
2,248 Posts
I thought I was doing good getting $7,000 off sticker on a current model with some goodies thrown in, but I would have taken a year old model for $17,000 off in a heartbeat.
Wait, forget that heartbeat thing, thats another car

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
Wait, forget that heartbeat thing, thats another car
The old Chevrolet commercials/slogan ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just paid $31,000 for our 4x2 Overaland with MSRP of $43,xxx.

It was on the lot and worth the deal. I didn't know about the improved MPG of the '09's, or I may have waited, but I also wouldn't be sure if the factory money would be as high in the newer models, so we pulled the trigger. We basically paid invoice minus $5500 in factory incentives.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
The best time to buy a 2009 would be at the end of the year (2009) when they are getting in the 2010's. I would imagine if gas prices keep climbing there will be lots of Commanders on the lots. But it is a long time to wait.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the advice. I am definately going for the Hemi. My wife's 300C has it, and it's a great engine.

There isn't a price difference between one on the lot and ordering one of the same year. I am working with my guy at Dave Smith Motors up in Idaho. It's a pain to go up there to take delivery, but their prices smoke any local dealers. We ordered my wife's 300 through them, and got a great deal.

Unless there is a HUGE price difference between the 08's and 09's, I think I'm leaning towards an 09. The improved MDS sounds cool. There are also rumors of HID headlamps.

I'll keep you all posted as more info becomes available. Thanks again for the feedback!
TJ

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Bo185 said:
My 08 is keyless ignition already! I would trade my 08 for a 09 CRD Commander. Praying for the option.
You have a push button on the dash to start the vehicle ?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
jeep5253 said:
You have a push button on the dash to start the vehicle ?
It is a button on the key fob, you still have to insert the key to operate the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
It is a button on the key fob, you still have to insert the key to operate the vehicle.
Yes, I know that. I have the remote start. But he said he had keyless ignition which is what the 2009 models are supposed to have. It is a push button on the dash -- no key has to be inserted.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Yes, I know that. I have the remote start. But he said he had keyless ignition which is what the 2009 models are supposed to have. It is a push button on the dash -- no key has to be inserted.
Okay, My folks have that in the prius, all they have to do is walk up to the car with the fob in thier pocket and the doors unlock then they get in and pust the start button and off they go.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
Okay, My folks have that in the prius, all they have to do is walk up to the car with the fob in thier pocket and the doors unlock then they get in and pust the start button and off they go.
Chrysler's new push-button ignition system called "Keyless-Go" will also be available. Tied into this system is a feature called "Proximity entry" which allows automatic door unlock/lock when approaching or leaving your vehicle. These systems require only that the key fob be in your pocket, purse or near the vehicle to be functional.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Chrysler's new push-button ignition system called "Keyless-Go" will also be available. Tied into this system is a feature called "Proximity entry" which allows automatic door unlock/lock when approaching or leaving your vehicle. These systems require only that the key fob be in your pocket, purse or near the vehicle to be functional.
It would be nice if they could create a key that you could install in your current ignition that would replace your current key and provide the same function as you described. If you didn't have the new fob then the car would not start with the inserted key replacement, but the replacement could be removed if you needed to use the regular key.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't had a chance to update the XKJeeps.com web site on the 2009 features, but here are a few more details:

2009 Commander

Modern Blue replaces Steel Blue
Brilliant Black replaces Black

HID headlamps w/ auto leveling. Optional Limited, Standard Overland.

Outside mirror painted body color for Limited price series.

Interior Upgrades: leather wrap added to: upper front and rear door bolsters; front door armrest, center console lid; chrome interior door handles; remote audio controls added to base steering wheel.

Passive Entry and keyless Go. Optional Limited, Standard Overland. **

Remote Keyless Entry: express front window opening feature added.

9” corporate DVD screen replaces 8” screen.

iPOD/UCI (Universal connectivity interface) available with Navigation radio

Upgrades to 5.7L Eagle V8 engine. Variable Cam Timing (VCT) improves performance and fuel economy.

** Note - this feature may or may not not make it to initial 2009 model year production, still trying to confirm...

--Milous--

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Passive entry and keyless go is neat, the start button fits into the hole that the new key/fob fits into replacing it. If you loose the button you can just stick your finger in the hole and push, it's not a chipped button. You do pretty much have to be in the car with your key on you but I got out of the Dodge Challenger, walked away with the key and the engine didn't shut off.
I would buy an 09 diesel if it were available.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts