Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a double din radio, with the metra mounting brackets.

I tried putting the radio in, but it doesn't slide in all the way. I had the uConnect 130 in there initially, so it has a single din style mounting bracket.

This prevents the double din radio from sliding in all the way.

I've seen on the forum that people get a navigation bezel, but the fitment looks like it's for a 2006 Commander. My Commander has the silver color center bezel that goes all the way up to the radio.

Does anybody know how I can get the double din radio to fit in the dash? Is there a replacement insert that will accommodate the taller radio?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Did you have to remove any additional trim pieces to get to it? It looks like the piece that the radio mounts would thread into.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked if I could remove anything, but it looks like the bracket that the radio threads into is preventing the radio from mounting. I have attached a picture that shows two bumps in the bracket that prevent the radio from sliding all the way back.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at some other threads and it seems that I might have to trim those tabs. If so, what should I use to trim the plastic?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have a 2010 Commander and installed a double DIN radio.

I think the Chrysler Radios of this era are Double DIN in the face plate (a little wider) but a little less than Double DIN in the body behind the face plate. Thus the tabs.

I used a dremel tool with the plastic cutting head to trim the tabs top and bottom. My radio still sat titled down a bit and did NOT bolt up flush, so I had to sand down the bottom layer of plastic and even the top of the washer for the bolt in the center of the picture to tilt the radio back.

I have the Pioneer XBH-8500 which is pretty big radio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mongo,

That is exactly right.

I was going to swap in a Mygig 730n into my Commander and it fit perfectly in there. It looked like double din in the front so I assumed this would go in too. The Mygig was from a Wrangler so it was the high speed Can system; which is not compatible with our Can system.

I will get the plastic cutting bit for the dremel. Do I sand the tabs flush with the rest of the bracket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
No the tabs are NOT solid, think of it as a layer of plastic shaped to what it is in the picture, you would see it shaped the same from the back.

So when you cut out the tabs, they will just be open space.

The plastic cutting bit for a dremel does NOT sand, it looks like a funky drill bit, its really a sharp edge winding up the shaft. You just cut the tabs out at their edges with the cutting bit in the dremel.

At least in my case (maybe NOT others) the flat portion of the bracket without the tabs, the radio still did NOT sit at the angle it needed to be to fit flush at the front (just off a few degrees, but enough it didn't sit all tight and flush. So that is when I started sanding (I had to sand down the lower flat surface so it tilted back some and the top of the washer on the bolt at the bottom as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cut one of the tabs off. My only problem was that the plastic melted really fast. Is there any way I can cut the plastic without the dremel?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Slow down your cutting speed, experiment with the speed of the dremel and the speed you move it through the plastic.

If I remember correctly, the highest rpm but moving the bit slowly through the plastic gave the best result. It's going to shed a lot of plastic as you cut, no matter what you do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts