Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys...I know I'm a newbie and this is ANOTHER spark plug thread, but I've done my diligence and can't find any info on this:

This past Saturday, in preparation of changing my plugs for the first time (and first time for me in YEARS) I took off Air Cleaner on my 2010 3.7 V6, and located 3 Spark Plug coils on the Drivers side...but DID NOT see any on Passenger side.

All writeups, and the couple of youtube videos for the Powertech V6 ALL reference 1 coil per plug, but I'm not seeing it. I do believe there is a Plug wire going from the coil(s) on the drivers side to the corresponding plug on the Passenger Side, but that is all I see.

Could someone confirm this is right? Also if it is, whats the best way to "pull" the plug wire from the passenger side...it doesn't appear too strong and its in there real tight.

Thanks in advance....
Jerrwood

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
100+ looks and no comments? C'mon guys your killing me, I need help!...lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
If I knew, I would help. Spark plugs I have yet to touch on mine, but I probably need to. Hopefully someone else can chime in!

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
From the service manual - sorry no pictures.
The 3.7L uses separate ignition coils for each cylinder. The one-piece coil bolts directly to the cylinder head. Rubber boots seal the secondary terminal ends of the coils to the top of all 6 spark plugs. A separate electrical connector is used for each coil.
Because of coil design, spark plug cables (secondary cables) and a distributor are not used.
Two knock sensors (one for each cylinder bank) are used to help control spark knock.
The Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay provides battery voltage to each ignition coil.
The ignition system consists of:
² 6 Spark Plugs
² 6 Separate Ignition Coils
² 2 Knock Sensors
² Powertrain Control Module (PCM

·
Registered
556 Posts
The 3.7l is a V6 so there are 3 plugs and coils on each side. All very accessible

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just to follow up....just changed my plugs on my 2010 3.7 and there ARE only 3 coils on the drivers side, with wires coming from those coils to plugs on passenger side. Also note, the bolts on these coils don't come all the way out.

Other than that all other instructions on oil change how-to posts apply.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Didnt you read the manual from rblapham? There are six. I don't think you know what your looking at

·
Registered
953 Posts
Didnt you read the manual from rblapham? There are six. I don't think you know what your looking at
Sometimes there are small design changes from year to year on the same basic engine. I know nothing about the V6, but I'll give a parallel example...

I have an '07 hemi. Each coil pack has 2 boots for both spark plugs in each cylinder. I read somewhere (a long time ago) that earlier hemis (maybe the '05 Grand Cherokee?) had a coil pack with a single boot for one of the plugs and used a spark plug wire from the coil pack to go to the other paired plug. The design changed.

So, if JerrWood says he just changed his plugs, and that's what he found, give him the benefit of the doubt unless you can see for yourself the same model and year and prove otherwise. Your 2006 may be different than his 2010.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You think I'm making this up? I successfully changed all six plugs in about an hour, I really don't think it would be possible to do so without some clarity on the subject.

The ONLY reason I started this thread was because I WAS seeing something that wasn't referenced on any other Spark Plug posts that I could find on here or anywhere else online.

"Not know what I'm looking at?", Yes I am new to this engine, but I definitely know the difference between a spark plug wire and an Ignition Coil. And the ONLY reason I followed up with WHAT I DID SEE was because I'm sure I'm not the only person with a 2010 3.7L that has a setup like this and the information might shed some light on the subject. Just trying to help and contribute.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, I know there are sometime subtle changes to engines as they progress, and maybe this is one of them. With so few 2010's produced, I guess we'll have to wait til others chime in with their experiences... didn't mean to insult your abilities or knowledge, I guess if you're capable of a tuneup then you certainly know what you're looking at!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, I know there are sometime subtle changes to engines as they progress, and maybe this is one of them. With so few 2010's produced, I guess we'll have to wait til others chime in with their experiences... didn't mean to insult your abilities or knowledge, I guess if you're capable of a tuneup then you certainly know what you're looking at!
No worries man, thats whats great about different opinions and experiences in a forum like this, we can all take and learn from them.

I gotta admit I'm kinda paranoid now thinking I might have a Frankenstein Commander that was close to the end of the "run" and they were borrowing parts from other like models in Chryslers stable.

3 Coil Commanders where you at??? Lol

FYI: After changing to Synthetic and New Plugs I'm still only getting 12.5 mpg City, when I drive it normal (for me) & 13.5 mpg city if I drive it like grandpa.

As far as my Highway mpg's...had my commander almost two months and haven't been on the freeway yet, I'm guessing I'll only get 17-17.5 mpg at the most, but hoping for a nice surprise on my first road-trip memorial weekend.

But the XK now runs and idles perfect (better than before oil and plugs), and throttle response seems a little perkier. But, what was hoping for a little gain in MPG which I didn't get. Oh well I know I didn't buy a prius! This does however contradict what the nice guy that sold it to me said: 15-16 city, 20-22 hwy. Shoulda known he was BS'ing, he had a Dodgers cap on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Have you been hand-calculating your mileage? The Jeep's computer may be off.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
No worries man, thats whats great about different opinions and experiences in a forum like this, we can all take and learn from them.

I gotta admit I'm kinda paranoid now thinking I might have a Frankenstein Commander that was close to the end of the "run" and they were borrowing parts from other like models in Chryslers stable.

3 Coil Commanders where you at??? Lol

FYI: After changing to Synthetic and New Plugs I'm still only getting 12.5 mpg City, when I drive it normal (for me) & 13.5 mpg city if I drive it like grandpa.

As far as my Highway mpg's...had my commander almost two months and haven't been on the freeway yet, I'm guessing I'll only get 17-17.5 mpg at the most, but hoping for a nice surprise on my first road-trip memorial weekend.

But the XK now runs and idles perfect (better than before oil and plugs), and throttle response seems a little perkier. But, what was hoping for a little gain in MPG which I didn't get. Oh well I know I didn't buy a prius! This does however contradict what the nice guy that sold it to me said: 15-16 city, 20-22 hwy. Shoulda known he was BS'ing, he had a Dodgers cap on.
i'm also averaging 12-13 mpg and did the same mods as you plus the k&n cai and iridium 9 plugs. I have great response and accelleration with a very smooth and quiet ride. I'm convinced there is very little one can do to get any noticable mpg gains with the V6

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm also averaging 12-13 mpg and did the same mods as you plus the k&n cai and iridium 9 plugs. I have great response and accelleration with a very smooth and quiet ride. I'm convinced there is very little one can do to get any noticable mpg gains with the V6
I would agree...those getting better mpg's than "us", are either LUCKY, making up numbers, or have environmental variables in their favor that god cannot replicate for us.

If I average close to 13\18 I'll feel good about it. That's about what I was getting in my Xterra, without all the creature comforts and ride quality in the XK, so I'm happy camper.

I'm still gonna try to dial it in by removing the "snorkel", put a drop in K&N (I'll get the CAI if I find a bargain just because of mixed reviews), and probably get a Magnaflow muffler, just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jerrwood

I am also having the same problem. Trying to change spark plugs on a 2009 grand cherokee with the 3.7L V6. As you said, has only 3 coils (on driver's side of engine). Each coil controls the ignition two cylinders just as you indicated for your Commander.

I have two questions. First, did you have any trouble removing the ignition coils? In my case after i fully loosened the bolt securing each coil i found that i could not remove the coil as the bolts appeared to be held by a bushing buried inside the coil? Did you have this issue? If so how did you free the coils? By yanking on the bolt?

The second question i had is how you removed the 3 boots/ignition coils on the passenger side? I'm concerned about damaging these. Did you need any special tool?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Jerrwood

I am also having the same problem. Trying to change spark plugs on a 2009 grand cherokee with the 3.7L V6. As you said, has only 3 coils (on driver's side of engine). Each coil controls the ignition two cylinders just as you indicated for your Commander...
First of all, welcome to the Jeep 3-Coil Club.

After trying to get the bolt on the coils out for a few minutes, I realized they weren't designed to come out, so I muscled them out (straight up though), which brought the bushing with it.

Same thing with the plug wires on the other side, had to grab as much boot as possible, slight wiggle, but mainly just pulling straight up. Those were attached VERY tight. I did find tools online for this purpose, but most of the people that bought said they wasted their money.

Like most of the "How-to's" say, the best advice I can give you is do one Plug at a time, and take your time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jerrwood

Thanks for your response. That's what i expected but wanted to see how you did it. It seems to me that engineers around the world are designing cars that pressure the car owner to have all servicing done by the dealership (even oil changes...look at bmw). But DIYers are a hardy group of rebels. Anyway thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spark Plug Coil(s)

Greetings, I have a 2009 Commander, 3.7 V-6. The engine has 3 (three) plug coils (cylinders 1,3, and 5) with a lead from each plug coil in the form of a more conventional "spark plug wire" to cylinder 2,4, and 6.

I don't have a Haynes or Chilton for the Commander (I don't think they have produced one) so a lot of my work on the Commander is like a thrill ride! I amazed at this configuration!

By contrast, my CJ and Cherokee are real engines, (as we all know) simple to work on.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hmm I have a 2010 v6, I'll have to change the plugs soon as I'm @ 85k miles.

Most likely you can add me to the 3 coil club as well :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts