Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on what's needed to update the maps in this unit? I tried the website it says to go to in the gps, and it implies I have a REC unit that needs a disc...there is no disc slot in this other than the dvd player. I also had a 06 charger, and this is not the crappy rec unit it had. It says u connect when it starts up, and is touch screen.
Thanks for any advice from a co 2010 owner.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Its plenty of money if its outdated again in a month. Lol. Everyone just buys the burned REC copys for $10. I was hoping for a USB or download
And you think that based on what?

They're not going to charge that kind of money for something that will be outdated in a month, these updates do not come out very often.

Also, I'm fairly certain these discs are license protected - meaning you can only use them once - that's why they ask you to have your VIN readily available when you place the order.

There's a reason you can't find the $10.00 burned REC disk copy you mentioned - because they don't exist for your particular REC navigation head unit.

The light you asked for has been shed; So pony up the $149.00 and get the proper update disk.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Spend the money on a garmin with lifetime updates and traffic instead. You can use it in multiple vehicles, has good interface, and get updates multiple times a year. I got a nice referb unit for $70. Leave that RER relic alone...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, factory nav seems cool and all. But I have found that most of them suck compared to just using google maps or a dedicated gps unit with lifetime updates. Maybe newer setups that integrate with apps are better but as of today I found my phone worked better than the sync 2 Nav in the 2018 ford edge titanium I had today as a rental. But it also wanted to connect with my phone with android auto which I didnt do. So maybe that would have been a decent setup. But that old unit isnt really worth the price of updating. Ford used to keep map updates on sd cards that were not coded to vins. they also had dvds too, many years ago. Im not sure about the mopar units being vin coded.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Spend the money on a garmin with lifetime updates and traffic instead. You can use it in multiple vehicles, has good interface, and get updates multiple times a year. I got a nice referb unit for $70. Leave that RER relic alone...
This is also another viable option - which is actually what I did several years ago.

I'm probably going to buy a new one here pretty soon with a larger display, the one I have is about 4 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My point, before the unneeded abrasiveness, was that it's pointless to me to spend $150 for a disc that is already 2 years old. I fully understand the rer is an antiquated unit. If there was a cheap update I would do it. (Like the burned rec discs I used to buy for ten bucks) since the RER's only option is the vin matched disc, I will use my phone or garmin as suggested.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
My point, before the unneeded abrasiveness, was that it's pointless to me to spend $150 for a disc that is already 2 years old. I fully understand the rer is an antiquated unit. If there was a cheap update I would do it. (Like the burned rec discs I used to buy for ten bucks) since the RER's only option is the vin matched disc, I will use my phone or garmin as suggested.
Please forgive me for my "abrasiveness" but, I find it somewhat ridiculous that you would post a thread complaining about a problem with your navigation system - when you already knew what the solution - and other potential solutions were.

Complaining about spending $150.00 in the Jeep Commander world to repair or correct an issue, is pretty much the equivalent of complaining that it's hot in the desert.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not being picky here...... but its only hot in the desert during the day.

If anyone wants a Satnav problem they are more than welcome to my original fit kit. radio etc is suburb. screen is a piece of shi7, or it maybe the graphics card, or maybe a problem conected to the wiring loom.

Maps out of date? buy an atlas. an atlas can provide hours of constructive fun argung with the wife, to the point of divorce or actual bodily harm.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Not being picky here...... but its only hot in the desert during the day.

If anyone wants a Satnav problem they are more than welcome to my original fit kit. radio etc is suburb. screen is a piece of shi7, or it maybe the graphics card, or maybe a problem conected to the wiring loom.

Maps out of date? buy an atlas. an atlas can provide hours of constructive fun argung with the wife, to the point of divorce or actual bodily harm.
That's priceless....LOL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
seriously considering which to get rid of first, the satnav or the replacement voice unit (which is always right and seems to think it acceptable to ask random strangers for directions on the basis that "they might live around here and know the way" )

We had our first frosty morning of the year last night and this morning my satnav screen worked - until the jeep warmed up - then it went blank again.

everything else works, radio, mp3 are great (tuning the radio can be intersting with no screen, but hey ho.

it appears that the screen only works when the weather is cold.

i believe the OEM unit is an Alpine, and is known to have a screen fault. Im not sure though if it is teh screem the video card, the cooling fan or a bad connection to the screen.

Any ideas will be gratefully accepted.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
seriously considering which to get rid of first, the satnav or the replacement voice unit (which is always right and seems to think it acceptable to ask random strangers for directions on the basis that "they might live around here and know the way" )

We had our first frosty morning of the year last night and this morning my satnav screen worked - until the jeep warmed up - then it went blank again.

everything else works, radio, mp3 are great (tuning the radio can be intersting with no screen, but hey ho.

it appears that the screen only works when the weather is cold.

i believe the OEM unit is an Alpine, and is known to have a screen fault. Im not sure though if it is teh screem the video card, the cooling fan or a bad connection to the screen.

Any ideas will be gratefully accepted.
Save yourself a lot of aggravation & replace the head unit with a NEW aftermarket head unit.

I went through 3 reconditioned factory head units from Chrysler/Jeep in the course of a year and a half - they are unreliable garbage based on my experience with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Save yourself a lot of aggravation & replace the head unit with a NEW aftermarket head unit.

I went through 3 reconditioned factory head units from Chrysler/Jeep in the course of a year and a half - they are unreliable garbage based on my experience with them.
See, thats a helpful response. In my post #1, I wasn't convinced it even took a Disc, being a 2010. I was simply asking if there was another solution than a $150, 2014 map upgrade. I'll gladly wear the "cheapass" crown for finding that foolish money to spend.

I'd be happy to learn what head unit you upgraded to. That would be money better spent, agreed.

FYI, the old LX cars have nav CD's people sell for $10. so again forgive my cheapness, on my 9 year old truck, with 175K miles.lol I have found my 2010 uses different keys, head unit, etc vs the earlier commanders, and wasn't familiar with the RER

·
Registered
84 Posts

Whaat you say makes sense...... but i can think of other stuff to spend money on, such as two way radio (CB not HAM standard), some more aggresive tyres and a lift.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Whaat you say makes sense...... but i can think of other stuff to spend money on, such as two way radio (CB not HAM standard), some more aggresive tyres and a lift.
That's your prerogative sir, but sooner or later, that head unit will become an issue that you're forced to deal with - if it's not already.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's your prerogative sir, but sooner or later, that head unit will become an issue that you're forced to deal with - if it's not already.
why sir..... a true southern gent.... gone with the wind remake any time soon :laugh2:

in some ways the satnav end of it is a real pain, but since i have a garmin, ill live with it a bit longer, also the sound system is awesome, better than the one in the lexus, on full volume in the lexus you can't even think, but in the jeep you cant see either due to eyeball wobble. (not that i recommend that while driving, Firth of fifth by genesis takes on a whole new depth)

next job though is probably sorting out the lighting on the switches (thanks to some of the posts on here) but that would be almost a thread hijack.

We've had a speculative forecast of three months of snow, so if that happens sod the satnav, its CB and snow tyre time then of to the hills.:surprise:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts